Hecklers at comedy shows

herbie747

Hecklers at comedy shows  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

So, was having a debate with a guy here.

He shouts out his own jokes at comedy shows, but seems to think it's fine. I said that everyone else in the crowd (and the comedian) hates "that guy"; but he insists I'm talking "out of my arse" and that it's okay to do - and it's even more acceptable if it's an "on topic" pun, because that adds to the show and gives the crowd extra bang for their buck.

Please use the poll to clarify your opinion on it.

If I left out any options, let me know and I'll add them.

Ta!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be annoying when it's repeated but I do love it when the comedian owns them back. If they shut up then all is good in my books. I don't think comedian's totally hate it, it's a challenge for them.

Jimmy Carr destroying hecklers I'm sure most you would had seen this but this is why I tend to enjoy heckling, Carr is pretty fabulous at comebacks.

• Paid Members
Where do you get 'I shout my own jokes?'

I got it from you, actually - good enough source?

Mick didn't respond well to my 'Cactus Sack' comment

"Again, it wasn't a joke or a heckle"

You made a pun = a joke.

• Paid Members
Where do you get 'I shout my own jokes?'

I got it from you, actually - good enough source?

Mick didn't respond well to my 'Cactus Sack' comment

"Again, it wasn't a joke or a heckle"

You made a pun = a joke.

Over the top much?

I guess it's hard for me to get across how it was said, but there was absolutely no malice in it and was meant in a light hearted way for something I enjoyed in the past that he did. Next time I'll sit on my hands though and keep silent even when he encourages crowd interaction. :bored:

• Paid Members
Over the top much?

What's a "top much"?

Next time I'll sit on my hands though and keep silent even when he encourages crowd interaction.

I never suggested sitting on your hands. You could just laugh & enjoy yourself like everyone else - the fans paid to see him make jokes - not you.

• Paid Members

Cunts of the highest order. Unfortunately, it's a practice that has been tolerated for so long by the big comedy clubs & their reliance of stag/hen/office party bookings that you can't really ban it any more. You can guarantee that 99% of the time the heckler will be the one person in the group who considers himself the 'funny one', doesn't like the fact that his friends aren't laughing at him so will try & reaffirm his 'funny' status by trying to get one up on the act.

The idea that it's 'helping out' the act or adding to the night is a myth, in the 6 years I've been running comedy gigs I can count on 1 hand the number of actually, vaguely witting heckles that have garnered a laugh. The acts absolutely hate it as (pro-acts) will have their set rehearsed so every pause, glance etc is timed to get the best response & the flow of their set will be interrupted. If the comedian has to take 2 or 3 minutes out to deal with an audience member, that's likely a routine out of their set that now needs to be omitted so they don't overrun.

A heckler at a comedy night is the equivalent of a vocal, smark in the front row of a wrestling show.

Heckling is context sensitive. Shouting out uninspired insults or just shouting out your own jokes is generally bad form. Any comedian worth his salt will verbally belittle a heckler like that. I just want to point out Jimmy Carr heckle is part of his act, he got heckled at the same point by the same guy for the entirety of that tour. Then you have situations where the comedian brings on the abuse. Either being incredibly unfunny or in certain comedians that's actually asked for, they will happily throw out banter with the audience.

• Paid Members

One particular drunken twat almost ruined a Norman Lovett show I saw a couple of years ago, relentlessly dribbling on, and that soured me towards hecklers even more.

I think comedians that use audience participation as part of their act are, to a certain extent, fair game. To a certain extent. But at shows where comedians are clearly wanting to do the work, it's unforgivable. And shit. Hecklers are NEVER funny, whether they are doing it to a comedian that uses the audience or not.

• Paid Members

If the act asks the audience a question or initiates the exchange with the crowd I wouldn't class that as heckling as it's part of the act & they know where they're going with it. For me, a heckle is an uninvited interruption.

Rule of thumb, if you're buying a ticket for a comedy show & you can see anyone in fancy dress ahead of you in the queue turn round & go home as it'll be awful.

• Paid Members

I've both been pissed off with them when they interrupt the flow of a show, and have experienced them enhancing a show that was falling on its arse.

Best one I saw was in the early 90's when Jo Brand was doing a spot at the Buzz in Chorlton. She was shite, just mumbling on about periods. Guys near the front shouted "Tell us something funny for fucks sake". She then went on to verbaly rip this guy to shreds in one of the funniest 20 minutes I have ever seen. If the heckler had not had said anything, it would have been torture.

Archived