Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members
On 9/14/2024 at 2:10 PM, DCW said:

Any recs for book podcasts? something along the lines of 'If books could kill' where they break down shitey books like the blind side & all Michael Lewis's rubbish, but without the smarm levels of its two hosts, who have disappeared up their own holes the last few pods.

It probably won't pass the "smarm level" test as one of them gets on my nerves, but Mike Nelson (of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax) and Connor Lastowka (writer for Rifftrax) have a book podcast called 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, where they read weird and bad books and discuss them over a few episodes - there's a book club element to it where you're encouraged to read chapters of the book ahead of the episode, but I've been delving into their older stuff and not bothering with all that. 

They started out with Ready Player One, and them talking about Ernest Cline books is still probably the best thing they do, but they've done a lot of other stuff beyond that. Bram Stoker's Lair Of The White Worm was a good one.

Possibly because I've spent so much of my life watching MST3K and Rifftrax, I find Mike's voice really easy to listen to, but Connor can get on my nerves sometimes, he can be a lot more try-hard when it comes to comedy, and when they occasionally cut in little improv bits of them acting out bits from the books you can always skip them because they're never funny. So your mileage may vary on whether you find them annoying or not.