Ideas You Never Want To See In Wrestling Again

ThePhenom

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I must be one of the few people that still loves the 'What?' stuff. I like any kind of audience interaction to be honest. At the height of the Attitude era audiences were about five times more vocal than they are today. Now only really John Cena is guaranteed to get some noise from the crowd when cutting a promo- and even then it isn't the reaction he really wants. Many of today's mid-carders deliver promos to silence, which in most cases is their own fault, because they just don't know how to engage a live crowd and feed off their reactions. I guess a lot of performers feel that they have to stick to what they've been told to say and lack the confidence to deviate from the script according to audience reaction. R-Truth seems to do well though, he's confident enough on the mic to feed the audience and they reward him with a response. It makes for a better atmosphere and comes across much better on TV when the crowd are able to join in with the show.

I should mention The Miz here too, as he's one of the few guys that they have that is also good at this, with his 'Really?' routine.

In the Championship Scramble, Brian Kendrick, for example, was recognised as the "current champion"

Slightly off topic - but as soon as kendrick "won' the title, Triple H was introduced and proceeded to destroy him - a moment I will never tire of watching.

I quoted this post but just to clarify that I'm speaking about Swagger. I like him a lot, but for an unusual reason. I'm a big mark for Back to the Future, to me Jack Swagger is a more talented version (sport-wise) of Biff, who was probably in the Hill Valley Football team but is depicted as too dumb to be really good, but still, I think the similarity is still there.

Just my 2 cents, I haven't seen the Biff-Swagger comparison elsewhere, even though I'm sure other people must have noticed it too.

It's been a common comparison since Swagger's debut, I think. I'm sure it's been referenced on WWE shows as well, possibly within the last couple of weeks. Did Punk say something about it when he wrestled Swagger recently?

If that's the case I obviously missed it (I don't get to see WWE on a regular basis) and I thank you for correcting me. My point remains that I think it's a great character to trasport into wrestling, provided they don't water it down too much.

I should mention The Miz here too, as he's one of the few guys that they have that is also good at this, with his 'Really?' routine.

I loathe The Miz, and that "Really" catchphrase is an instant sign for me to fast forward through his stuff. That face he pulls when he doing it as well, like he is holding in some goofy smile. Cringe.

• Paid Members

The Miz has been brilliant for the past year, he done well to look like he still mattered when Rock/Cena stuff first kicked off leading up to his main event at Mania and his stuff with R-Truth was one of the highlights of last year in my opinion. Don't think the company has a more natural heel than The Miz to be honest.

The Miz has been brilliant for the past year, he done well to look like he still mattered when Rock/Cena stuff first kicked off leading up to his main event at Mania and his stuff with R-Truth was one of the highlights of last year in my opinion. Don't think the company has a more natural heel than The Miz to be honest.

Mark Henry, and to a slightly lesser extent Daniel Bryan deserve that title about a million times more than The Miz. And The Miz didn't matter at all in the lead up to Wrestlemania, he was a huge afterthought.

• Paid Members

Mark Henry, and to a slightly lesser extent Daniel Bryan deserve that title about a million times more than The Miz. And The Miz didn't matter at all in the lead up to Wrestlemania, he was a huge afterthought.

Fair play, Mark Henry has been outstanding this year but he's a monster heel and I've always looked at them as slightly different types of character. Although it wasn't his work but The Miz's "Hate Me Now" video package was probably the best thing about last years piss-poor Mania.

Edit: We've only really seen Daniel Bryan involved in one angle as a heel, aye it works well but put him with someone else and it could be shit.

Fair play, Mark Henry has been outstanding this year but he's a monster heel and I've always looked at them as slightly different types of character. Although it wasn't his work but The Miz's "Hate Me Now" video package was probably the best thing about last years piss-poor Mania.

Edit: We've only really seen Daniel Bryan involved in one angle as a heel, aye it works well but put him with someone else and it could be shit.

It was indeed an excellent video package, this is even coming from someone that hates The Miz. That just goes to show that WWE has an excellent video production team, as I remember the video more than the match it's self. And about Bryan, I really do think he has been wonderful in his current position. But as you pointed out, only time will tell if he will work well with others and be remembered as more than "a great heel for a few months in that 3 Way feud".

Glad to see 90% of fellas round here aren't a fan of Swagger aswell as me. I'm all for new guys going for the title but they need to be worthy of holding the title. I'd go as far as saying Swagger was worse then Arquette holding the WCW title. At least that made some slight sort of sense in a strange way to market Ready 2 Rumble. Although they could have done 101 other things with Arguette.

Back on topic to Swagger. Him winning the MITB and then the title the following week just seemed like a really last minute decision. I also look at this in a bitter light as I wish to god they gave McIntyre the spot, so fucking badly.

• Paid Members

I loathe The Miz, and that "Really" catchphrase is an instant sign for me to fast forward through his stuff. That face he pulls when he doing it as well, like he is holding in some goofy smile. Cringe.

Every time I see the Miz it somehow reminds me of the Crazy Frog. Must be the bug eyes.

CrazyFrog.jpg

wwe-raw-07032011-last-part5-the-miz-faced-john-cena-hq.jpg

His 'Really' catchphrase however isn't so bad, there are much worse ones out there such as "vintage" and "excuuuse me".

Archived