Ideas You Never Want To See In Wrestling Again

ThePhenom

Following up on the Swagger thing, I never want to see a title win used as a substitute for a proper push again. The idea of plucking some random from the midcard, having them win MITB and then chucking the belt on them out of nowhere probably seemed like fun when they did it with CM Punk the first time. In the medium term though, it never pays off - all giving the belt to Punk (circa 2008), Swagger and Sheamus did was devalue the world titles and, perversely, derail each man's progress: once they'd all had pointless flop title reigns, it took more time and effort to rebuild them to a decent level than if you'd just had them plowing through other midcarders for another 6 months or so en route to a proper headline run.

Spot on. I was thinking about Sheamus' upcoming Mania match for whatever title he picks, and thought how much better it would have been if he'd never held a World Title before. He looks an actual star today, and I hope he lifts the belt in big-looking fashion at Wrestlemania, but it won't be as big a moment as it was with Benoit, Batista or Cena. It also made me think how pointless both his title reigns were to his character's progression. You could easily wipe those from history and nothing else would have been effected by it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jerry Lawler acting like a rapist whenever a woman was on screen, screaming "PUPPIEEEEEEES". Hated that shit.

I've never got Rey Mysterio either, think his matches are just spotfests and his voice goes through me.

• Paid Members
WWE crowds shouting "WHAT?" in between each line of a heel promo. They've been doing it for the best part of a decade and its always irritated the fuck out of me.

Seconded. Doesn't even need to be a heel promo anymore, just whenever anyone is on the mic, pisses me off something silly.

Stephanie McMahon as a regular on screen character,she was tolerable in her ultra slutty looking phase during the invasion,but she's knocking on in years now so I don't really want to see her on TV again.

I dont ever want to see Shane or Linda on WWE TV ever again either.

WWE crowds shouting "WHAT?" in between each line of a heel promo. They've been doing it for the best part of a decade and its always irritated the fuck out of me.

Seconded. Doesn't even need to be a heel promo anymore, just whenever anyone is on the mic, pisses me off something silly.

I

I quoted this post but just to clarify that I'm speaking about Swagger. I like him a lot, but for an unusual reason. I'm a big mark for Back to the Future, to me Jack Swagger is a more talented version (sport-wise) of Biff, who was probably in the Hill Valley Football team but is depicted as too dumb to be really good, but still, I think the similarity is still there.

Just my 2 cents, I haven't seen the Biff-Swagger comparison elsewhere, even though I'm sure other people must have noticed it too.

It's been a common comparison since Swagger's debut, I think. I'm sure it's been referenced on WWE shows as well, possibly within the last couple of weeks. Did Punk say something about it when he wrestled Swagger recently?

Archived