WWE Raw Discussion Thread - 23/1/2012

Cobra1000

If only Jericho was one of the champions by now he could win the rumble and go on to Wrestlemania against Punk and once again become the undisputed World Champion or not. Would be great best in the world v king of the world at Mania for undisputed title. Perhaps with the involvement of a mystery female. I'm still niaevely grabbing for some meaning in those vignettes, that they again flashed images of on RAW.

The end of the world as you know it, the world I know has 2 champs could that be about to change.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed Raw myself, I'm much more on John L's side rather than CM Punk's. John's character always seems so nice to me and CM Punk's character (Or is it his real personality?) is a bit annoying I'm finding. I thought the Cena/Kane/Ryder bits were good as well, Cena's expressions didn't even seem that bad to me. I thought Ryder took some good bumps to the steps, floor, announce table etc. and I enjoyed the ambulance scenes. Cena looked good in the tag team match as well, as did Punk & Ziggler. Jack Swagger isn't even in their league though, and the sooner the United States strap is off his shoulders the better. Regal's commentary was hilarious, and both the Royal Rumble statistics and the Jericho package were nicely made. If they are turning Jericho heel on Sunday though, hopefully he won't be back to how he was before he left. Something new please! But all in all I found it to be a very solid and fun Raw.

It wasn't bad. Not to the calibre of last week, but it was ok..

For me, I'm not really on John's side or Punks. Both of them have their annoying traits, and neither have a big likeability about them, which is probably why it's hard to get into it. There's no clear cut favourite as John's booking has been a bit bizarre, and Punk has been all over the place.

Cena looking directly into the camera with that facial expression scared the shit out of me.

They really need to sort Brodus out before it's too late. He was pretty cringeworthy on Smackdown and last night. His matches consist of 'my bad', 'suplex', 'shall I get him' etc. It's going to become very old very quickly. I'm fine with him doing it at sometimes but it's too formulaic. I understand he has to get things over but he's in danger of over-doing it. The thing I liked about Brodus when he first came in is that it sounded like he was ad-libbing when he was saying things like 'my bad'. He'll be in the background during skits with Hornswaggle and Santino soon if he's not careful.

Kane is doing my nut. The 'embrace the hate' storyline isn't a bad one, but it's been executed poorly. Ryder is annoying because he's so bad at acting. I'm glad he's out for the time being as he's becoming very stale. Kane's offence didn't look too bad but his promos are too bad and I can't get into the storyline whatsoever. It's way too hokey for my liking. The stage bump where the camera took ages to look down the hole is one example.

Punk isn't completely nicey-nice. So what? Sawyer from Lost is arrogant but I preferred him to Jack Shepherd - as I imagine a lot of other people did. Maybe he has a tint of geek in him. So does Foley. He's essentially playing himself. People are too harsh on him on here. Maybe he's not drawing great ratings at the moment but surely you can agree that his push post-MITB has been shit up until about TLC time. He wasn't going to become an overnight sensation, so him not drawing as much as was expected for MITB is the expected figures being optimistic rather than him being solely to blame. It was still up on last year. His drawing of Summerslam being low was partly because of Punk coming back right after he'd walked off with the belt. It's an unfortunate circumstance whereby he had to win at MITB in Chicago whilst his contract was due to run out in order for it to have been special, but that was the month before Summerslam so he couldn't have been away too long. If circumstances were different, he'd have walked out with the belt for longer and done things like when he turned up at ComicCon, go to a different promotion, do something to break the formula that WWE has adhered to for ages.

But my point was that he went from leading the rebellion to coming back two Raws later. Post-Summerslam he was in feuds with Nash and Triple H where Triple H was positioned as the most over babyface (Triple H is one of my favourites, but he was booked to come across as a lot more sympathetic than anyone else. His bloody vote of no confidence being one example). Nash would pop in and out every now and then so Punk didn't have a clear target. Punk losing to Triple H at Night of Champions derailed his momentum and Punk teaming with Triple H and having a laugh with him was bad booking too. Maybe a mutual respect between the two after they've been at war with each other, but not as chummy as they were. And even then, it'd still have to be a veiled mutual respect where they're not kissing each other's arses - more like a Marcellus Wallace/Butch relationship after the rape scene in Pulp Fiction. He then went into a dull feud with Del Rio over the title. Del Rio is dull because they didn't capitalise on him and book him well. They'd wheel him out to bang on about his destiny and wonder why he's not a star. Now Punk has a clear direction and focus, he's coming good. Give him time and he might come up with the goods. And yes, he's selling merchandise. Yes, he's getting a good reaction from the live crowd. And in time, with this slowly building booking between him and Laurinitis, he might become an established main eventer. My one criticism before was that he needed to become a little more 'universal', so not citing things that will go over people's heads which he seems to have been sorting out. If he can get people to live vicariously through him, he'll be sorted; and I reckon there's a lot of alternatives and geeks that could do that.

Ziggler popping up at the end was indicative of the formulaic nature of Raw at the moment. Punk hits GTS on Laurinitis, Ziggler comes out and hits his finisher. 'Guys! It's me! I'm in the main event on Sunday as well, remember? Here's me smiling to remind you.' Except no one really cares about him in all of this.

Hey, Cena's got to the top with 5 moves, so I'm not worried about Brodus. #retrocriticism

Seriously though I didn't expect them to do anything with him on a serious level until after the Rumble, so it's only then I'll start worrying if they don't push forward with something although surely the Regal association again must mean something?

Hey, Cena's got to the top with 5 moves, so I'm not worried about Brodus. #retrocriticism

Seriously though I didn't expect them to do anything with him on a serious level until after the Rumble, so it's only then I'll start worrying if they don't push forward with something although surely the Regal association again must mean something?

A feud with Regal would be good, except I felt Regal outshined him on Smackdown through no fault of his own. His 'call me' move mid-dance was hilarious. Where does Brodus go from there? I really get the feeling that it'll be having a laugh with Hornswaggle/Santino/Regal backstage and down to Superstars or in a Ryder role where he's used for sympathy. It'd be good to have him feuding with someone who's bothered about their looks, like 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes was.

Best line of the show was from Regal on commentary, when talking about Brodus' dancers: "Cameron & Naomi, oh deary me. The things I could do with them..."

Yes! That was great. I really hope they transition him onto commentary on Raw. He's a breath of fresh air. If they can get rid of Lawler and let Regal be himself I'd be delighted.

• Paid Members

Thought it was a shit show. Punk was great again in the opening, I still love Brodus and throwing Regal in is a smart move and er, that's about it.

Way too much acting on this show. Way too much terrible acting. Ryder, Eve, Cena, Johnny Ace, Otunga. All absolutely terrible.

The Jericho thing is still intriguing me, I have to say. Couldn't give the segment a thumbs up or down though, it was just kinda there. Michael Cole waving at the camera was funny.

For a normal Raw, it was pretty crap. For a go home show for the Rumble, it was absolutely dire. That promo vid, Jericho's one liner and the Sheamus/Barrett altercation were not enough. I couldn't give a shit about the people in the Rumble. I only care because it's the Rumble. They could easily have taken my

The Ryder injury angle was pure comedy. Eve is such a good girlfriend that, while Zack is suffering from what we think is a broken back, she holds up the ambulance to tell Cena that its his fault or something.

Cena and Kane feud and its Ryders turn to sell for Cena and get sympathy. Ryder is lost in the shuffle and looking like a geek. I'm guessing he's not even in the rumble-mania mix.

• Paid Members
Best line of the show was from Regal on commentary, when talking about Brodus' dancers: "Cameron & Naomi, oh deary me. The things I could do with them..."

No it wasn't. It was either "400lbs of septic tripe" or the Grandmaster Flash reference. Great commentary cameo, even better than Barrett's.

Pretty good Raw. Cena ruined that whole angle with that gurn into the camera. What was the fucking point of that?

Great to see him and Punk back together again, where they belong :love:

Archived