WWE Raw Discussion Thread - 23/1/2012

Cobra1000

^ I completely agree with the Punk sentiment. He is a terrible face.

On the subject of this I have always believed that Ziggler is a natural face and his 'heelness' always seems too put on. His in-ring work is made to be for a fan favourite.

If I were given the reigns, I would love to see a slow-burn feud between Ziggler and Punk resulting in a double-switch. This is second only to seeing Undertaker/Cena at WM for things that I want to see in wrestling at the minute.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, WWE has too many white meat babyfaces. I like Punk as a jackass, he's still relatable to the crowd even if he's not Mr Nice Guy- actually, it was the fact that he was so cutting that got him truly over in the first place as a main eventer. Personally, I'm a nice, polite guy, but there's plenty of people I'd like to go off at like Punk does Ace, so he has my backing as a face.

But for me, it's his smarminess for lack of a better word.

The "it's on Wikipedia, I checked it out" line was awful and he's like the annoying "I'm right, you're wrong" nerd/outcast you used to get at school.

There are tons of people like Ace that I'd love to go off at, but I wouldn't use Punk's attitude if I had the balls to do it.

He's a brilliant performer and I think he makes for a fantastic heel; he just isn't right for playing a face role with the character the way that it is.

• Paid Members
In one of the Rumble vignettes the voice-over said that for the first time ever every WWE Superstar is eligible to compete. What was meant by this?

I presumed it was a que for wrestler who wrestled earlier on are officially allowed in the match. But yeah, it didn't make fucking sense

My guess is that it'll be used to put Ziggler or Bryan in the Rumble after one or both of them lose their title matches.

Nah, WWE has too many white meat babyfaces.

Like who?

Every babyface bar Orton and Punk is a grinning sycophant, off the top of my head there's Kofi, Bourne, Show, Ryder in prominent spots, and after years and years of WWE pushing the Cena image down our throats, they're finally showing signs of tampering with the formula. It was really highlighted when The Rock came back the stark difference between 2001 faces and 2011 faces.

Austin was the biggest dick going in the attitude era if you wanna look at it that way, he'd have McMahon literally crying asking him not to hurt him, but everyone still ate that up. Austin mostly did things without reason too, randomly stunnering even the top faces.

Same with The Rock. It just seems on here people have an agenda against CM Punk for whatever reason, the fact he gets the most consistent face reactions every single week on raw, usually appearing a couple of seperate times too is showing he is massively popular with the live crowd. I'd rather see an act like Punk as the top face, than the cookie cutter babyfaces WWE usually churns out.

Austin was the biggest dick going in the attitude era if you wanna look at it that way, he'd have McMahon literally crying asking him not to hurt him, but everyone still ate that up. Austin mostly did things without reason too, randomly stunnering even the top faces.

Same with The Rock. It just seems on here people have an agenda against CM Punk for whatever reason, the fact he gets the most consistent face reactions every single week on raw, usually appearing a couple of seperate times too is showing he is massively popular with the live crowd. I'd rather see an act like Punk as the top face, than the cookie cutter babyfaces WWE usually churns out.

You've completely missed my point.

Of course Austin was an arsehole in his day, but he was your rough-neck, tough-talking, beer drinking son of a bitch. Not you're typical Wikipedia-referencing, straight edge goofball.

Austin and Punk are day and night in that regard.

I don't have an agenda against Punk, I just don't think his portrayal of an anti-system rebel is correct.

• Paid Members
Every babyface bar Orton and Punk is a grinning sycophant, off the top of my head there's Kofi, Bourne, Show, Ryder in prominent spots, and after years and years of WWE pushing the Cena image down our throats, they're finally showing signs of tampering with the formula. It was really highlighted when The Rock came back the stark difference between 2001 faces and 2011 faces.

What about Sheamus? Cena's not a white meat babyface. When Cena comes out, its not your typical babyface. Anyone who thinks Cena's a white meat babyface must not be watching the show very closely. He's as much a white meat babyface as Bret Hart was a white meat babyface. And The Big Show's a giant who wants to rib off Daniel Bryan's head but is currently overcome with guilt, like anyone would be. He's a monster with a human side to him. He's got far more to his character than your giving him credit for.

As a matter of fact, CM Punk's closer to a white meat babyface than Cena, Sheamus or Orton, because he usually ends up on the floor after minutes of bitching on the microphone. His character is as inconsistant as you can get. Now he's sucking Vince and Triple H off to get rid of Johnny Ace. Imagine Austin or the Rock doing that?

It just seems on here people have an agenda against CM Punk for whatever reason

If people dont like him, they are free to say it are they not? Saying someone has an agenda because they arent ENTERTAINED by someone who is supposedly an ENTERTAINER and hasnt actually drawn any money to suggest that anyone with this "agenda" is wrong is ridiculous.

In one of the Rumble vignettes the voice-over said that for the first time ever every WWE Superstar is eligible to compete. What was meant by this?

I presumed it was a que for wrestler who wrestled earlier on are officially allowed in the match. But yeah, it didn't make fucking sense

My guess is that it'll be used to put Ziggler or Bryan in the Rumble after one or both of them lose their title matches.

For the first time ever though? Both Orton & Ziggler, who lost there title matchers earlier in the evening entered last years Royal Rumble.

The only thing it could really mean, is that both World Champions are allowed to enter The Rumble this year, which unless they are planning to have one of them win the thing and have a unification match at Mania, is stupid.

Not to hate on John Cena because I think he is one of the best main eventers they have, but he is by far the most horrible actor I've ever seen. His reactions and emotions are so overstated there is no human on the planet (except children) who could suspend disbelief to the point of buying his act. Just horrible.

When you look at John Cena in these skits everything he does looks so forced as opposed to being natural.

The Zack Ryder thing is very drastic.

Like him or hate him, he does shift merchandise and helps promote WWE and their events via social media. There genuinely will be people that now won't buy the Rumble ppv as he's not in it.

Maybe its a hoax? Cena and him have lied about the broken back so that Zack sneak attacks Kane on Sunday to help Cena win.

OR

In some sick way Vince is punishing Zack for trying to get over on his own, making digs at the company, and has put him on the shelf heading into 'payday' season.

OR

Wellness Violation

OR

Repacking Zack to make him less of a wet drip, complete with better entance music.

OR

Zack is off to get a hair transplant on his crown.

• Moderators
It just seems on here people have an agenda against CM Punk for whatever reason

If people dont like him, they are free to say it are they not? Saying someone has an agenda because they arent ENTERTAINED by someone who is supposedly an ENTERTAINER and hasnt actually drawn any money to suggest that anyone with this "agenda" is wrong is ridiculous.

No, you have to like him. CM Punk is a precious flower who must be protected and if you don't feel entertained by him or like him you have an AGENDA as it's blatantly impossible to dislike CM Punk. Facts.

I get people dislike Punk, and there's nothing wrong with that, but saying things like he's a bad face and needs to turn heel etc is ridiculous, because like I said he consistently gets the strongest face reaction on raw week after week and sells a ton of merch. The majority of fans obviously love him. Dislike his act of course, not everyone is going to like the same thing, but thats not to say he's not good at what he;s doing.

• Paid Members
There genuinely will be people that now won't buy the Rumble ppv as he's not in it.

Who are these people? What a mental thing to say. Ryder's a geek, who you can watch for free if you type his name into youtube. The money paying audience doesn't give a single shit about him. This whole "selling merch" shite is so weak these days. If someone is dying on their arse people just point to "he sells merch". Well Santino Marella and Hornswoggle and the legends like Hacksaw Duggan sell merch, but they dont sell PPV's, dont do anything for live attendance and dont increase TV ratings. Ryder not being on TV means nothing. He's the new Hurricane Helms. He's not the new Rock.

Its a sad state of affairs when the ability to draw fans in arenas across the country and on television has been replaced with "he gets a strong reaction and sells merch". That was the problem in 1995.

Archived