UFC on FX: Miller vs. Guillard

Egg Shen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without giving away prelim results, Anik and Florian are a nice change of pace so far, it was refreshing not to have "and its all over" at the end of one fight, both are doing a decent job.

The stream on UFC.com pisses over the Facebook stream as well.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. Interviews with Helwani now too, this is much better than just having nothing to watch in between prelim fights.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was the only thing I didn't like about watching prelims online, if a fight ends quick you can be left watching the crowd for 10-15 minutes. It's different when you're there live because you can have a drink and soak in the atmosphere but sat watching online them gaps can be a chore to sit through. I like this waffle to fill up the gaps.

• Paid Members

Well, I really enjoyed everything about that show. Not a bad fight in the bunch, loads of finishes and some new impressive guys to keep an eye on. What's not to like?

I liked the Anik/Florian commentary. I've never really rated Florian's announcing but I kinda liked him on this show. Maybe he's just got better chemistry with Anik than he did with Mike Goldberg but I thought he was better than his past efforts.

Miller won by submission as I predicted but Melvin made him earn it and gave him a few scary moments early on. Glad Miller pulled through and got the sub. I still think he's legitimately one of the top 155ers in the UFC, he just came up against Ben Henderson who's on fire at the minute and hit a blip. He'll be back in contention this year I reckon. Outside the very top level of Edgar, Henderson, Maynard I think he has a good shot at beating most of the division. I liked Anik and Florian's suggestion of Miller vs Barboza. Would be a good fight but they might wanna step Barboza up a little bit slower than that.

Ludwig vs Neer was shaping up to be the war I was hoping for and I was kinda disappointed it never went longer because it was really starting to heat up. Neer did well to come back from some nasty strikes and got the old Nate Diaz guillotine, sadly without the bicep flexing to camera.

What a fight Easton vs Papazian turned out to be. I never saw either guy fight before and I really liked that fight. Some good technical striking from both and I got a kick out of the Frye/Takayama style start to the fight. Looking forward to seeing more from them 2.

Happy to see Pat Barry win. That was the best all round showing of his MMA career so far. He's had more exciting fights and more impressive displays of striking but for showing well rounded MMA skills this was the best he's looked. As soon as Morecraft got him down I thought that's it but Barry surprised me with his escapes. Training with Marty Morgan on his wrestling and Comprido Mideiros on his BJJ is clearly starting to pay off. And as always with Barry, the KO was brutal.

The prelims were chock full of good stuff aswell.

I was very impressed with Khabib Nurmagomedov. His striking looked a bit sloppy at times but on the whole, he was coming in against Shalorus who is a tough assigment for anyone let alone a guy making their debut. He got through a rough opening couple of minutes and then landed that bomb of a left and that was a fight changer. His wrestling looked great, his striking looks powerful and he got the submission on a guy who very rarely gets finished. What more can you ask for?

Nick Denis' elbows from the clinch were quality. That's a technique often used in pro Muay Thai fights but hardly ever used in MMA and it just shows how devestating well placed elbows can be.

I was glad to see Jorge Rivera go out on a win too. That was a real feel good moment similar to Lytle's farwell last year. Schafer gave him a nightmare of a first round and I didn't think he'd be able to turn it around. Good to see him bow out in impressive fashion.

I liked the Brenneman vs Roberts technical ground fight aswell. Nice clash of wrestling vs jiu-jitsu. I thought we were finally gonna see the first inverted triange in UFC history pulled off for a sec but it wasn't to be. Have Bellator got the trademark on that or something? :D

Great night of MMA.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, and how fuckin brilliant was that preview of Diaz vs Condit 24/7? I am looking forward to that fight even more now.

"Where you at Carlos?"...when did he say that? I only remember him calling out GSP.

Bonuses are...

Fight of the Night - Pat Barry vs Christian Morecraft

KO of the Night - Nick Denis

Submission of the Night - Jim Miller

All got $45K each

I'd have given Neer SOTN and Easton/Papazian FOTN but really all the fighters deserve some extra coin for that show imo.

UFC on FX 1 was a really good show. I enjoyed the way Jim Miller/Melvin Guillard went as I thought it would, Miller would get Guillard's back with ease and choke him out. I like Jim Miller, never finished and only lost to Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard and Ben Henderson. All six of Guillard’s UFC losses are by chokes, three rear naked chokes, two guillotine chokes and a triangle choke. Guillard should have paid attention to Rich Clementi’s advice…

Josh Neer locked up the guillotine as Duane Ludwig left his head open when he tried to get up from the canvas and was quickly put to sleep.

Mike Easton/Jared Papazian was the Fight of the Night with both standing and swinging at each other, especially the start of the fight in the clinch. Great fight.

Good to see Pat Barry enter the win column again, he defended the submission attempts by Christian Morecraft, knocked him down with a big hook on the feet and knocked him out with punches on the ground.

On the prelims the first round of Jorge Rivera/Eric Schafer was all Schafer but Rivera came back to stop Schafer with punches on the ground. Nick Denis quickly knocked out Joseph Sandoval by delivering five nasty elbows to the side of Sandoval’s head in a half Thai clinch for the win.

Actually forgot this was on, found myself looking for something on TV pished at 2 in the morning and saw it starting on ESPN. Magic, glad I stayed up now. Cracking Fight Night card.

Jim Miller is a warrior, looked like Melvin had him rocked a couple of times, but great comeback.

Josh Neer looked excellent, fine submission win from him.

Easton and Papazian put on a thriller. Great back and forth action and I'm looking forward to seeing more from those two.

Barry/Morecroft was a great way to kick off as well. It's hard not to love Pat!

Thought Anik and Florian were realy good in the booth as well. Made a nice change from the usual. All in all a very good show.

As I said earlier ignore me if my comment's sound stupid I'm new to the sport. Good show last night. Enjoyed it a lot. Gotta ask why is the Sweden show & the Sydney show listed as being live at like 2AM? Surely with Sweden only being an hour or so ahead it'd be live at like 8PM Our time?

I went bed before the last two prelims and watched the main card this morning. Good show.

Barry was man of the night for me, that KO was violent, thought he was done with that armbar attempt by Morecraft, nice to see a fighter clearly improve himself.

If Guillard works hard on his submission defence and ground escapes he could be scary, sadly people have been saying that for a while now, I hope this makes him concentrate on the ground as standing he is one of the best at 155lbs.

Jim Miller is top 10 no doubt, but I think there is a chance he will never get a title shot, there seems to always be 3 or 4 guys just that little bit better than him. I would still like, Edgar, Bendo and Maynard to beat him in a rematch and I think he may get beat by a few others like Gilbert Melendez as well.

The presentation is much better now as well, only niggle is they still have not changed "face the pain" in the intro.

Now THAT was one of the best nights of fighting I've been lucky to see in my lifetime :)

Great fights and finishes up and down the card and some good talkers among the winners. Really good show to open the Fox deal with.

• Paid Members

Really great card from top to bottom. Very impresssed wtih Anik and Florian also, Anik slipped straight in and was very comfortable. Florian did a good job at explaining what was going on and doing it very eloquently.

Some great finishes throughout. Denis' elbows from the clinch were nasty, Khabib Nurmagomedov looked really impressive against a tough Kamal Shalorus. I was especially impressed with Pat Barry too. I thought he was done for at one point but he showed great sub defence on a few occasions and the knockout was brutal. Guillard started strong and you could see he was trying to pick his moments and not rush in, Miller did well to weather it and then get the sub. Happy for Rivera getting a win on his way out, after the first round I thought he was in trouble, Schafer faded completely. nice little moment post fight too.

Dana apparently got some comments for not giving Eastman/Papazian the FOTN bonus, he recently tweeted that both guys are gonna 'be taken care of'

This roll of great shows has been amazing. I can't see anything less next week either.

Archived