UFC on FX: Miller vs. Guillard

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

ufconfx.jpg

Main Bouts (on FX):

-Melvin Guillard (29-9-2) vs. Jim Miller (20-3)

-Duane Ludwig (21-11) vs. Josh Neer (32-10-1)

-Mike Easton (11-1) vs. Jared Papazian (14-6)

-Pat Barry (6-4) vs. Christian Morecraft (7-2)

Preliminary Bouts (on Fuel TV):

-Jorge Rivera (19-9) vs. Eric Schafer (12-6-2)

-Kamal Shalorus (7-1-2) vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov (16-0)

-Charlie Brenneman (14-3) vs. Daniel Roberts (12-3)

-Fabricio Camoes (13-6-1) vs. Tommy Hayden (8-0)

-Daniel Pineda (15-7) vs. Pat Schilling (5-0)

-Joseph Sandoval (6-1) vs. Nick Denis (10-2)

this fucker's sneaking up on us this Friday. The UFC schedule is ridiculous right now and the fights just keep coming...who's you fancy on this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Haha yeah I overlooked this one when I made the UFC 143 thread. Totally forgot this was so close. I'm picking Miller in the main event. I think he's too well rounded, he's a better grappler and pretty good striker. Melvin's got the advantage on the feet but I think Miller's enough of a threat with his grappling to keep Melvin guessing on the feet which could make the stand up more even. I'll have Miller to catch a submission on him. Should be a good fight either way.Ludwig/Neer is the kinda fight that could turn into a real war. Really looking forward to that fight, maybe more than any other on the card. Always like watching Pat Barry too and lots of new blood on the prelims that could be interesting viewing.Nice little card.

• Paid Members

I want Guillard to win, but I am leaning towards Miller.If Guillard can keep it standing and not be to reckless like he was against Lauzon, he can knockout anyone at 155lbs.

Agreed with that. One of the most dangerous and explosive strikers at 155. Good defensive wrestling too. Interesting fight but Miller's only lost to the very top level (Edgar, Maynard, Bendo) and I see him being a notch above Melvin.

• Paid Members
From danas twitter

3rd fight in the FOX Jan 28th is Maia vs Undefeated Chris Weidman!!!

Wrong thread mate. You wanted this one http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=128362...75&start=75

Easily done, with the FX and FOX in the titles.

Big opportunity for Weidman there.

I've never liked Melvin Guillard so hoping Jim Miller wins, I think he will. In the stacked Lightweight division, you don't want to drop two fights in a row because both fighters were on the verge of getting UFC Lightweight Title shots until Ben Henderson easily beat Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon choked out Melvin Guillard in less than a minute.

• Paid Members

the Miller/Guillard fight feels like a sink or swim fight, the loser of that fight is gonna take a big hit in the ranking so it's a dangerous fight for both guys. Like The Natural said, both guys were being talked about as next in line just 1 fight ago so you gotta think that in a stacked division the loser of this fight is gonna be looking at at least another 2 year stretch unbeaten before they can even think of another title fight. Having said that, im think Miller to pick up a grinding decision, i think he'll outwork Melvin over the 3 rounds.

My feeling on the Bendo/Miller fight was that Miller seemed too eager to go out and make some big statement; not just winning, but doing so in extravagant style to really make his name. If he's gotten over that and fights sensibly against Guillard he should win, but if not, and I hear a lot of "I'm gonna fight Melvin at his own game and win" talk, I think he could be in trouble again. I mean, you'd think there's no way Melvin hasn't learned his lesson from his last fight, so hopefully for his own sake Miller has too. I was really on board the Miller title shot train and I was very disappointed with how he fought against Bendo.

• Paid Members
My feeling on the Bendo/Miller fight was that Miller seemed too eager to go out and make some big statement; not just winning, but doing so in extravagant style to really make his name. If he's gotten over that and fights sensibly against Guillard he should win, but if not, and I hear a lot of "I'm gonna fight Melvin at his own game and win" talk, I think he could be in trouble again. I mean, you'd think there's no way Melvin hasn't learned his lesson from his last fight, so hopefully for his own sake Miller has too. I was really on board the Miller title shot train and I was very disappointed with how he fought against Bendo.

I thought he fought a typical Miller fight, just Bendo's wrestling was too much for him and he out worked him in the end. No shame in losing to Bendo at the moment either, the guy is on a great run.

As for Miller/Guillard, I picked Miller Decision, then I remembered it's 5 rounds. I really like Miller and I do think he'll give Mel problems, especially on the ground, but I'm swaying towards a Guillard TKO right now, provided he keeps calm and doesn't rush in. The Lauzon loss really showed that he can't just steam in and needs to pick his moments. No doubt he has ridiculous power and explosiveness, but unless he can control it, he's not doing anything.

I thought he fought a typical Miller fight, just Bendo's wrestling was too much for him and he out worked him in the end. No shame in losing to Bendo at the moment either, the guy is on a great run.

Definitely no shame losing to Bendo, I just thought Miller was a bit over-aggressive and reckless. Against someone with Bendo's wrestling and power I thought it was crazy how he was throwing himself into submission attempts when the most likely outcome was Bendo in top. Might have ended the same regardless, and maybe my memory of the fight is wrong anyway (haven't watched it since), but as a Miller fan I thought a bit more discipline and patience in his performance would have helped. And that's definitely what I want to see from him against Melvin.

Honestly I'm a fan of both, though, so hopefully it's just a good fight.

I'll be rooting for Miller all the way in this fight. His family have been through the mill recently with the medical problems that his nephew has had to deal with. In fact, isn't Danny Jnr due for surgery a few days after the event?

I'm not a fan of Guillard, so Miller all the way for me.

• Paid Members
As for Miller/Guillard, I picked Miller Decision, then I remembered it's 5 rounds.

Is it deffo 5 rounds then? I'm sure I read recently that the FX cards will still have 3 round main events. Could be wrong on that though.

I'll be rooting for Miller all the way in this fight. His family have been through the mill recently with the medical problems that his nephew has had to deal with. In fact, isn't Danny Jnr due for surgery a few days after the event?

I'm not a fan of Guillard, so Miller all the way for me.

Yeah it's a a real sad story, Dan and his wife lost a daughter a couple of years back and now this with their son. I like the Miller's anyway so I'd have been rooting for Jim here but the shit they've had to deal with personally the last few years makes you wanna see them do well more.

Archived