IPW:UK 28/04/12:REVOLUTION Official Thread - Carlito, Chris Masters

Andy

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This was my first trip to IPW after much thinking about it but never doing it so I'll share some poorly put forward thoughts.

The show was very good I thought and I really enjoyed it.

The ladder match was very good for an opener and there were some moments in it where it looked like anything could happen, especially given how fucked the ladder looked, and every one had me on the edge of my seat all through. Having Ego work together at the end was intriguing and I'd be inclined to see more to follow where it's going which is always good.

Redman Vs Haskins was good but not following any story even after the promo video I just couldn't boo Haskins over Redman, so that was held back by me being me.

Part of that is Haskins is just amazing and its always an excellent experience to see him on a show. Redman I enjoy but I never get behind or invest in him that deep for reasons I struggle to pin point.

The woman's tag was good, Storm is ace as ever and the blossoms seemed good as I'd never seen them before. I believe they won with the "Harris Brothers" finish which is always good in my book.

Carlito and Leroy was fun enough, again I found it hard to go against Carlito over Leroy.

Stixx and Masters was great fun. Stixx, who is by no means a small man, was somewhat dwarfed by the masterpiece who by god is a fucking buff mother fucker.

Nice to see stixx right off the bat motioning to break the masterlock, at least that what I took it as. Good fun match and I really got behind masters who looked to be having a great time and was interactive with the fans. A pleasure to watch this one.

The 6 man was excellent stuff, the Sha and Frazier interaction was intriguing and having just enough knowledge on them I was drawn in nicely and I am intrigued to see what happens next.

It was the most into a Spud match I've seen in a long while, Spud's shtick is marvellously played and undoubtedly entertaining however having seen him a lot it does ware a little thin at time's for me personally, which is again part of my problem being me. This felt like something fresh and as such it really revitalised my interest and had me invested in him. Seeing Dave, who is possibly my favourite man around today, have that little showdown with him at the end made me a happy man.

The main was spectacular stuff. I like the announcing all the other stuff they have won as it made both men seem a bigger deal (although I'd love to hear more about Marty being Champion of Norway). I don't know if that would confuse kids or more casual people but that's not my concern.

The match was amazing and a world away from Callihan Vs Mastiff at Southside which is the only other time I've seen Callihan.

I really enjoyed the match and loved every minute of it.

The down sides to the day was that the atmosphere felt a little lacking at times which may have been more down to the venue than anything else and the fact I didn't get home till gone 3 this morning which was excepted with the travel and part of what always made me wary of going along.

That said I didn't regret the drive and really enjoyed the show, the second half felt better than the first over all but the show didn't disappoint me and showed potetial to live up to the hype. Furthermore it's left me with enough to give me the push to get to a sittingborne show and see what that holds.

• Paid Members
Also: sorry to the former Stug. I blame Philo Vance...

Ah I thought that was him. I blame the suspect layout. A wrestling venue, it is not. :/

Hello! I always find out after shows that I was sitting near other UKFFers and didn't realise! Say hello next time!

I shall indeed. Last night I was very much in the camp of "Don't say hello, it won't be him and you'll look a fool". In a similar vain, my friend had to show me a picture of Alex Shane in one of the conveniently scattered FSM magazines before I believed it was him walking around the building. I have the observation skills of a Knightmare contestant.

I'm surprised at the comments about people leaving due to being unable to see?

We (4 of us) had balcony seats - but they were awful so we decided to wait until Andy Q came out and try our luck downstairs. We got 2nd row, no one said a word to us. There were groups of empty seats around us so why didn't people move there?

As for the chants - we were sat next to the drunk guy who was chanting "We want Masters" but it came out as "We want mustard" - he was also the guy who gave Carlito his apple. He was funny at first, but I don't think the parents appreciated his swearing as there were small kids infront of us - probably put them off UK wrestling for life!

As for the show, the venue killed the atmosphere, end of story.

Haven't seen anyone mention the replacement of Super Nova with Lucha's Leon Brittanico?

And IPW need to invest in stronger ladders.

As for the chants - we were sat next to the drunk guy who was chanting "We want Masters" but it came out as "We want mustard" - he was also the guy who gave Carlito his apple. He was funny at first, but I don't think the parents appreciated his swearing as there were small kids infront of us - probably put them off UK wrestling for life!

I was up in the balcony but even there that guy was incredibly annoying. I can only imagine how annoying he was up close. Why the hell would you chant "We want Masters" when Chris Masters is already in the ring and wrestling? Stupid.

Speaking of annoying, if I never ever hear a "yes, yes, yes" chant ever again I think I might be cool with that. Doing that chant the first few times was very fun but by the end of the night, or a dozen "yes, yes, yes" chants later, it got on my nerves.

Overall though, while the atmosphere was lacking at times and my first row seat on the balcony was very uncomfortable due to the very small legroom between the seat and the balcony, I had a great time at the show. Enjoyed all the matches, Scurll/Callihan and Masters/Stixx being the best ones, in my opinion. And holy crap is Chris Masters' selling good. Having not seen much of his WWE work towards the end I ended up being very impressed by him. Plus, he was cool with me at the meet and greet, as was everyone else there.

I was up in the balcony but even there that guy was incredibly annoying. I can only imagine how annoying he was up close. Why the hell would you chant "We want Masters" when Chris Masters is already in the ring and wrestling? Stupid.

We said the same thing, here's right there mate!

He was wasted but did not stop chanting. Someone, either from the venue or IPW, should have come and had a quiet word with him methinks.

• Paid Members
Extreme Measures is a contenders tournament. In previous incarnations it's been four qualifiers, a four way then a title match. This time they announced the winner gets a heavyweight title shot...

Indeed, Extreme Measures has always usually been 4 singles qualifiers, followed by a 4-way elimination match between the winners, then the winner of that facing the Heavyweight Champion in an Iron Fist final. An Iron Fist match, by the way, is a 30-minute Iron Man match with a sudden-death knock-out rule (i.e. most falls in 30 minutes wins, but a KO leads to instant win)

EDIT: just seen pretty much my entire post confirmed in the thread for the June show. D'oh.

• Paid Members

We said the same thing, here's right there mate!

He was wasted but did not stop chanting. Someone, either from the venue or IPW, should have come and had a quiet word with him methinks.

Why would they have a word if the guy was enjoying himself?

He paid for a ticket just like you but obviously didn't feel the need to to sit on his hands or keep his mouth shut for the whole show.

Getting drunk, chanting for 3 hours (often non-sensically) and swearing (then apologising because of the kids infront of him) then swearing again - someone should have had a quiet word.

We were chanting too, often at him to confuse him, it was just ruined it for a few people I'm sure.

I know its a bit late but I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts.

First of all the seating was pretty terrible. Luckily we were front row of the upper ground. Our 3 seats however were split by the big isle between the two blocks! Luckily there were two lads on the same row who swapped seats with us so we could sit together. Once that was resolved and went and got my half pint (?!) cup of beer for

First of all the seating was pretty terrible.

You aren't kidding, you wanted to see the original seating plan! I worked for hours the day before the show organising a professional seating plan for the day, after seeing the one that had been signed off for the show! It was incredible, so we designed a new one, which the venue accepted and then put another plan on the day too, with the lighting technician going into business for himself too, if ever Mr Quildan was going to do a video blog, the whole story of the show from confimation of the event to us closing the venue door at the end of the night would have made a great docu-drama! It blows my mind how everybody made the show work.

If Im honest I don't know how much better the show would have been with NWE involvement but if anything the crowd would have been bigger and maybe the atmosphere would have improved.

NWE's involvement wouldn't have brought any more than a handful of people additional to the show (Probably the 10 of so tickets that were refunded due to the cancellation of Kevin Nash) with them pulling out three weeks prior to the show and 99% of the advertising done at that point, I think you are asking the wrong question.

The real question is how much bigger would the crowd been without NWE's involvement, the mistakes made with this show were substaintial and if IPW decide to run a show of this size again, things would have been run very very differently and I would have thought they would get a much larger crowd.

NWE were undoubtably a huge company in Europe, but the UK market (and public) are a much more critical audience than our friends in Spain, France and Malta. The marketting that broght them the huge shows in Europe absolutely did not work in the UK and that was no accident, the advertising should have been done very differently.

First of all the seating was pretty terrible.

You aren't kidding, you wanted to see the original seating plan! I worked for hours the day before the show organising a professional seating plan for the day, after seeing the one that had been signed off for the show! It was incredible, so we designed a new one, which the venue accepted and then put another plan on the day too, with the lighting technician going into business for himself too, if ever Mr Quildan was going to do a video blog, the whole story of the show from confimation of the event to us closing the venue door at the end of the night would have made a great docu-drama! It blows my mind how everybody made the show work.

I'm now picturing an overly dramatic trailer for poor seating plans and "lighting technicians going into business for themselves." Thrilling stuff I'm sure.

• Paid Members
I'm now picturing an overly dramatic trailer for poor seating plans and "lighting technicians going into business for themselves." Thrilling stuff I'm sure.

"I didn't screw the light bulb; the light bulb screwed the light bulb".

Archived