[Nominations] Best Match of 2011

Chest Rockwell

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I'm glad someone nominated Cena v Del Rio because that was a great match. It just missed out on my list but I think it's already been largely forgotten and because of the broken ring and everything, it was also a fair bit different from anything else this year.

• Paid Members

Three definitely isn't enough here. There's loads of worthy nominations for me and that's just from WWE. The in-ring, bell to bell portion of WWEs product has been tremendous this year.

Seeing as Triple H - Taker and Cena - Punk have received plenty of noms already i'm gonna opt for others that i enjoyed almost as, if not not just as much as those.

- CM Punk vs Alberto Del Rio vs Rey Mysterio, Raw, 20th June

- Christian vs Randy Orton, Smackdown, 6th June

- Raw Money in the Bank Ladder Match, Money in the Bank

Honourable Mentions :- Triple H vs The Undertaker - WrestleMania, CM Punk vs John Cena - Money in the Bank, R-Truth vs Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio - Raw July 4th, The Miz vs John Morrison - 1st Raw of the year, Dolph Ziggler vs Edge - Royal Rumble, Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler - Raw

• Paid Members

I could nominate a bunch more also, and 2 of my top 3 have been nominated a bunch of times anyway, but here we go...

Punk vs Cena MITB

HHH vs Undertaker WM27

SHINGO vs Yokosuka 3 (Nottingham)

Three definitely isn't enough here. There's loads of worthy nominations for me and that's just from WWE. The in-ring, bell to bell portion of WWEs product has been tremendous this year.

Agreed. In fact you could quite easily argue it was one of the best (right up there with 1992-1997 and the Super Cena Era). Really hard to pick and didn't have time to rewatch (m)any so I just went for the three I enjoyed the most first time round.

My nominations are...

1. Edge vs Rey Mysterio vs The Big Show vs Kane vs Drew McIntyre vs Wade Barrett - SmackDown! Elimination Chamber Match (WWE Elimination Chamber)

2. Randy Orton vs (WWE Smackdown, 6th May)

3. Randy Orton vs Christian (WWE Over The Limit)

Honourable Mentions:

Winter:

The Miz vs John Morrison - Falls Count Anywhere 1st Match of the Year (WWE Raw, 3rd January); Dolph Ziggler vs Cody Rhodes vs Drew McIntyre vs Big Show (WWE SmackDown!, 7th January); Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio - 2/3 Falls (WWE SmackDown!, 7th January); John Morrison vs Sheamus (Raw, 10th January); John Morrison vs Daniel Bryan (Raw, 17th January); Edge vs Dolph Ziggler (WWE Royal Rumble); Royal Rumble Match (WWE Royal Rumble); R-Truth vs Jerry Lawler vs John Cena vs Randy Orton vs CM Punk vs John Morrison vs Sheamus - Raw Rumble (WWE Raw, 31st January); John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, & R-Truth vs CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, Drew McIntyre, Wade Barrett, & Sheamus (WWE SmackDown!, 15th February); The Miz vs Jerry Lawler (WWE Elimination Chamber)

Spring:

AJ Styles vs Matt Hardy (TNA Victory Road); Christian vs Alberto Del Rio - Cage Match (WWE SmackDown!, 18th March); Edge vs Alberto Del Rio (WWE WrestleMania); Triple H vs The Undertaker (WWE WrestleMania); AJ Styles v Bully Ray - Last Man Standing (TNA Slammiversary); CM Punk vs Alberto Del Rio vs Rey Mysterio (WWE Raw, 20th June)

Summer:

R-Truth vs Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio (Raw, 4th July); Daniel Bryan vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Sheamus vs. Sin Cara vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel - SmackDown! Money in the Bank Ladder Match (WWE Money in the Bank); Randy Orton vs Christian (WWE Money in the Bank); CM Punk vs John Cena (WWE Money in the Bank); Rey Mysterio vs John Cena (Raw, 25 July); Mark Henry vs. Sheamus (WWE SummerSlam); Randy Orton v Christian - No Holds Barred (WWE Summerslam); CM Punk vs John Cena (WWE SummerSlam); Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler (WWE Raw, 29th August)

Autumn:

Randy Orton vs Mark Henry (WWE Night of Champions); John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio (WWE Night of Champions); Triple H vs CM Punk (WWE Night of Champions); Mark Henry vs The Big Show (WWE Vengeance); John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio - Last Man Standing (WWE Vengeance); Jerry Lawler vs Terry Funk (NEW One Last Time); Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler (WWE Raw, 28th November); Mark Henry vs Daniel Bryan - Cage Match (WWE Smackdown! Christmas Special, 29th November)

Christian vs Del Rio- Extreme Rules

Need to see that show still. Have it on DVD and has a couple of matches on it that look great.

WWE has been great all year with the multi-man matches. Also a really strong in-ring year for Edge, Christian, Del Rio, Truth, Lawler, Styles, Orton, Mysterio, Henry, Punk, Morrison, Cena, Big Show and Ziggler.

No real standouts in that the quality of a lot of them was pretty much the same but it is a level of consistency that's likely going to be impossible to beat in 2012. I'm not sure they can.

Edited by TheBigBoot