Cage Pro Wrestling

Grapple Wrestling (Leeds)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Im a fan of mma and have been wrestling for a few years now so it would be something I'd like to see and do, I like doing the submission aspect of mma but dont fancy getting my face smashed in so this would be right up my street.

Would it be kinda like Bushido that was on bravo years ago?

Bushido were UWFi fights repackaged, weren't they? In that case, I'd say yes.

I'm in agreement, I'd love to do shoot/submission wrestling. I was going to do it when I lived in Darlington, but unfortunately the gym stopped doing the sessions after I found out about them.

Im a fan of mma and have been wrestling for a few years now so it would be something I'd like to see and do, I like doing the submission aspect of mma but dont fancy getting my face smashed in so this would be right up my street.

Would it be kinda like Bushido that was on bravo years ago?

It would be along those lines yes.

Isn't everyone just too "smart" for this now? I wish you all the luck in the world though as i bloody loved the UWFi worked shoot style. I seriously thought it was legit as a kid.

You may be right about people being too smart now, but I will have to give it a go

If it goes well with the sessions change to longer than 2hours?

Quite possibly. I should be able to start the training at 11 once I get a regular reasonable sized group. The training only started last week so the group is still building, but as soon as I get 20 or so every week then I can look into expanding. If you are interested in coming if it expands then if you like my Caged Pro Wrestling facebook page all the latest up dates will be on there.

Interesting, i'm not quite sure how i feel about it right now yet....uwfi was great but "in it's day" are the key words, because mma wasn't what it is now by a long shot,if it was,then i doubt uwfi would've ever become the sensation it was.

so now,2011, i dunno...i'm afraid it's almost impossible to find a good audience, big enough to keep this going..traditional pro wrestling fans will still rather watch normal pro wrestling, in a ring with interferneca and whatnot, what we are used to,wwe or otherwise and mma fans mostly sh*t on pro wrestling anyway so good luck convincing them when they can just watch the real deal mma like they always have, they'll just laugh it off as still being "fake wrestlers playing mma" and not take it seriously at all.

I agree the lines can be blurred succesfully tho, i freakin' loved the infamous angle/joe mma style bout they did in tna years ago, and in the rare occasion that wwe put out a pure wrestling/almost mma-ish bout such as the old angle/lesnar iron man match or angle/benoit 2003, it looked hard/stiff as hell and had a legit sport feel to them and the crowd going nuts for it !

then again, those examples still took place in a ring,with a few over the top pro wrestling moves like belly to belly overhead suplexes and using the ropes,that you'd never see in mma, thrown in so it wasn't as "bare bones" as your idea comes across to me.

i don't know man, i wish you best of luck and hope it succeeds, the world needs more wrestling variety !

• Paid Members
Can kind of see what you're shooting for here, but for me in 2011 the audience you're trying to attract are all watching UFC now, and short of promoting MMA, you won't convince em. It does sound like the kind of thing I personally would enjoy watching like, so all the best.

Thank you. I am hopefully trialing it on a MMA show so Ill see how the crowd go for it. I hope there is an audience out there for it, I would like to see it done as I am a wrestling fan mainly with an interest in MMA and hopefully this is somewhere in the middle!

This is a bad idea. Doing some cross promotion will dilute any real MMA on the show and make your product look bad in turn.

I like the idea in general, but I think you'll do more harm than good by mixing it. People will just be confused, and as others have said, some knobheads will boo MMA anyways, fuck knows what will go down when they find out its fake.

I think that the MMA promoter I am working with puts on 5-6 hour shows and they always have various entertainment, so I hope maybe some of the crowd will be a type who can enjoy this for what I want it to be and it may even be a refreshing change from watching bout after bout of legit fights with very little exciting moves. Fingers crossed anyway!

Ah right, I can see the bouts not drawing as negative reaction if the events feature a range of entertainment as well as the MMA. I

This interests me greatly! Especially with the recent closure of BattlARTS in Japan, which was pretty much the last regular Shoot Style company going. Like everybody else, im not so keen on the idea of mixing it with legit fights, as that was pretty much the reason why the style declined in the first place. But if this was staged as seperate events, i'd be well up for coming to see some shows. Theres some awesome talent in the UK right now that I think could do this style justice

We at Pro-Wrestling:EVE do what is basically the same thing with what we call The Catch Division, only difference being that it's not in the cage and no pin-falls.*

I personally believe it's a very dynamic style and am obviously very much a fan of it.

Good luck with the project, hopefully I'll be able to journey along and check it out.

* = This isn't meant as an insult or accusation btw, had to note this as sometimes things come across differently in writing to how they're meant

We at Pro-Wrestling:EVE do what is basically the same thing with what we call The Catch Division, only difference being that it's not in the cage and no pin-falls.*

I personally believe it's a very dynamic style and am obviously very much a fan of it.

Good luck with the project, hopefully I'll be able to journey along and check it out.

* = This isn't meant as an insult or accusation btw, had to note this as sometimes things come across differently in writing to how they're meant

Will be good to meet you if you can make it down sometime. It will be good to compare notes. Ill check out your catch division and hopefully check out one of your shows!

Can kind of see what you're shooting for here, but for me in 2011 the audience you're trying to attract are all watching UFC now, and short of promoting MMA, you won't convince em. It does sound like the kind of thing I personally would enjoy watching like, so all the best.

Thank you. I am hopefully trialing it on a MMA show so Ill see how the crowd go for it. I hope there is an audience out there for it, I would like to see it done as I am a wrestling fan mainly with an interest in MMA and hopefully this is somewhere in the middle!

Actually, can I try and convince you that this is a really, really bad idea? I think someone may have already pointed this out, but they'll murder it. I actually speak from experience. I once (as a promoter myself, just in case of the likely scenario that you have no idea who I am) accompanied six workers up to put on a match in the middle of an MMA show that was being promoted in Newcastle (and I'll add that the promoters were nothing but respectful and appreciative). It was set up with one of the lads who was based up there, and the idea was they'd put on a match at half time as some entertainment and to pad the show out. They were supposed to go out there for 5 minutes and as the show itself was a bit of a disaster (well, the fights were all very short) they actually did 20 minutes. They had the opinion that they'd have to try and convince the crowd to respect it by working really hard, and in the end they battered each other, wound up pretty banged up due to the style they worked and the ring (which, of course, had four ropes and absolutely no give - I'll bet they walked out of the place more hurt than most of the actual fighters!), and the crowd really didn't respond. The only thing they got out of them was, ironically, for a little comedy/the more over the top stuff. If it's wrestling or is billed as wrestling or they sense it's staged, it's just the wrong crowd - there's probably a reason they're at an MMA show and not a wrestling show, after all!

Archived