TNA Impact discussion - US air date 3rd Nov - SPOILERS -

Dirty Eddie

I don't want to go into the taping spoilers thread as I hate having future shows ruined, but I really wanted some feedback on this week's episode.

So, after having Kurt keep the belt at BFG, they swerved everyone and put the belt on James Storm last week. Then, this week we had Roode turn heel on his long term tag partner and take the belt for himself after a pretty great match.

Now, ignoring the fact that they rushed the complete hell out of all of this, what does this mean with regards to all the talk about the BFG finish? People were saying at the time that Hogan had advised TNA against putting the belt on Roode, now that clearly must be bollocks as he has the title, just a few weeks later. There were also people saying before BFG that Bruce Pritchard was the guy who had written the whole Bobby Roode BFG storyline, and there was "no way" he wasn't getting the title at the PPV.

Over the last day or so, I've also read people on here saying that with "Hogan and Pritchard not having faith in Roode" he probably wouldn't get much of a chance in WWE. Well, seemingly both Hogan and Bruce DO believe in Roode, as he now has the belt.

So, in short. What the fuck?

Was the whole story written exactly as it has played out, working all the fans on here into thinking Roode was being fucked over, just to make the story more exciting/shocking?

Were people like Meltzer also fooled, or did they remain patience and wait for things to play out?

Was there no working anyone at all, and TNA simply changed their minds (I doubt it)?

Either way, it's quite interesting, i just wished they'd given it all more time. If Roode joins the completely shit Immortal I''ll be very disappointing!

Here is the full TV report....

The show opens and James Storm comes to the ring first as Tenay tells us we

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Over the last day or so, I've also read people on here saying that with "Hogan and Pritchard not having faith in Roode" he probably wouldn't get much of a chance in WWE. Well, seemingly both Hogan and Bruce DO believe in Roode, as he now has the belt.

For months, Roode was meant to lead the company as the top babyface. Prichard and Hogan overruled Russo because they didn't think he was the type of character who should be the top babyface. Wasn't anything to do with Roode being the champion. They think Storm is the more obvious top babyface, with the more obvious babyface charisma and more likable personality. Wasn't anything to do with Roode not being ready to win the belt. It was all about which roles each had to play. Storm was meant to turn heel on Roode originally, but the roles got switched. I'd much rather see a Storm as a face to be fair. Storm as a heel usually went into the area of comedy far to much during his last run as a baddy.

• Paid Members
I'm sure I'd heard a few people saying that the Roode Face push to the title was Pritchard's doing?

Him being the man in charge was why a lot of people were saying "Roode will definitely win the title at BFG".

Tna have been building to roode being top face for 6 months, if not more, long before Pritchard was in charge. You may have read that and the only two options I can see are : those people didn't know what was going on or b) (more likely) Pritchard was more likely to be consistent and follow through.

Actually, I believe that a while back Meltzer mentioned that Bischoff was the main guy behind the Roode push.

That rings a bell actually.

Bischoff said recently that Pritchard taking the lead is not really the big move some people made it out to be, and that Bruce had been having a lot of input to the company direction for a while anyway.

The whole thing still feels hugely hot-shotted to me. They should have given Roode the big, popular win that seemingly everyone wanted, and they still could have done the turn on Storm and a proper heel turn down the line.

The rating this week was up again on last week (which apparently had big sports competition on TV). Not as strong as the post-BFG show, but good all the same.

• Paid Members
Bischoff said recently that Pritchard taking the lead is not really the big move some people made it out to be, and that Bruce had been having a lot of input to the company direction for a while anyway.

Of course Bischoff is going to say the change in creative isn't a big deal. Thats the spin they are putting on it. Bischoff and Hogan want Russo out, now their pal from the WWE has muscled his way into power. Prichard doesn't want Russo on board either, because he hates him. Prichard has final say over the TV now. Its definitely a major change. Russo's ideas are ran through Prichard now. Russo might not even be there soon.

The whole thing still feels hugely hot-shotted to me. They should have given Roode the big, popular win that seemingly everyone wanted, and they still could have done the turn on Storm and a proper heel turn down the line.

The TV's are better, and TNA is better than WWE at the minute. As far as hot shotting, wrestling in 2011 is hot shot city. You just have to live with it, because neither company is going to change anytime soon, by the looks of it. As long as the shows are enjoyable. And Impact definitely is at the minute.

As far as it being Bischoff's idea to push Roode goes, I've never heard that. I was Bischoff and Kevin Sullivan (not the Taskmasters) idea behind the buildup. Bischoff never hand picked Roode to be the top babyface. Anyway, it comes down to what you would rather have A) Russo penning Roode's babyface title run or B) Prichard writing Roode's heel title run.

Were people like Meltzer also fooled, or did they remain patience and wait for things to play out?

Never heard Meltzer's reaction, but Alvarez called the Storm and Roode match a "masterpiece" and "the best thing TNA has ever done". The ending was awesome.

Of course Bischoff is going to say the change in creative isn't a big deal. Thats the spin they are putting on it. Bischoff and Hogan want Russo out, now their pal from the WWE has muscled his way into power. Prichard doesn't want Russo on board either, because he hates him. Prichard has final say over the TV now. Its definitely a major change. Russo's ideas are ran through Prichard now. Russo might not even be there soon.

As far as it being Bischoff's idea to push Roode goes, I've never heard that. I was Bischoff and Kevin Sullivan (not the Taskmasters) idea behind the buildup. Bischoff never hand picked Roode to be the top babyface.

Regarding Pritchard coming aboard, I meant it wasn't a "big deal" in the sense that it wasn't a case of Russo kicked out, and Bruce put in charge overnight. It was a gradual process, not a snap decision or instant changeover.

Someone quoted Meltzer as saying...

Vince Russo will still write the TV but Prichard will set the direction he wants the angles to go in. This has actually been the big picture case unofficially for some time now. Prichard has been getting more and more influence of late

As for Bischoff being behind Roode, i re-read the "BFG masturbation Thread" to see where i was remembering things from and you actually said...

The build is the brainchild of Eric Bischoff (who is Roode's biggest supporter in the company) and the execution is done by Bruce Pritchard

which is probably where I got the idea that Bish was behind the Roode push.

• Paid Members

He wasn't behind the push though. Him and Sullivan were behind the idea to push him in those vignettes. The decision to make him the top face was set in motion last April when Roode won the Lockdown match on his own. Bischoff is a big supporter of Roode. It was Hogan's decision to change Storm and Roode's roles, though, and Bischoff usually does what Hogan says. And Roode isn't even slipping down the card. The chess pieces were just switched. It was a change of plan, not a burial, which Roode should think himself lucky really, because a lot of people have fallen under Hogan's hammer.

As far as the Meltzer quote goes, that was before TNA signed Dave Lagana for the Indian venture they have going on there. Everyone expects Lagana to be doing something involving creative. Meltzer said the other week when they hired Lagana, Russo is only with TNA because they dont know anyone else who can fill in a format sheet and can write the full show. They've tried to replace Russo before and couldnt. Lagana can write a full show. And its obvious by looking at the TV, Russo's influence is as low as its ever been. There isn't half as many shit things on the show.

Personally, I hope Lagana does take over. He talks a good game. It would be fun to see if he is half as good as he thinks he is. Also, Lagana wrote Smackdown around 2003-04 with Heyman, so I'm sure a lot of people will be happy if he brought some of that to TNA.

He wasn't behind the push though. Him and Sullivan were behind the idea to push him in those vignettes. The decision to make him the top face was set in motion last April when Roode won the Lockdown match on his own. Bischoff is a big supporter of Roode. It was Hogan's decision to change Storm and Roode's roles, though, and Bischoff usually does what Hogan says. And Roode isn't even slipping down the card. The chess pieces were just switched. It was a change of plan, not a burial, which Roode should think himself lucky really, because a lot of people have fallen under Hogan's hammer.

As far as the Meltzer quote goes, that was before TNA signed Dave Lagana for the Indian venture they have going on there. Everyone expects Lagana to be doing something involving creative. Meltzer said the other week when they hired Lagana, Russo is only with TNA because they dont know anyone else who can fill in a format sheet and can write the full show. They've tried to replace Russo before and couldnt. Lagana can write a full show. And its obvious by looking at the TV, Russo's influence is as low as its ever been. There isn't half as many shit things on the show.

Personally, I hope Lagana does take over. He talks a good game. It would be fun to see if he is half as good as he thinks he is.

Cool, thanks for that, makes a bit more sense in my head now.

I listen to the odd Observer radio broadcast, but they tend to talk about TNA spoilers for upcoming shows and also talk about the Smackdown tapings when all I'm after is a RAW review.

I hate getting shows spoiled so end up missing out on some of the news.

I'm suspicious that this might have been the plan all along. I actually think that the build for Roode as a face just went better than they could have ever suspected.

My evidence is incredibly flimsy, but it's this - they didn't give Roode new music and ring gear for the buildup to the BFG match. That was always puzzling, but now it kind of makes sense. Why establish new music and a new t-shirt if he's just about to turn heel? Wait until the turn is complete, then establish his new thang.

I'm suspicious that this might have been the plan all along. I actually think that the build for Roode as a face just went better than they could have ever suspected.

My evidence is incredibly flimsy, but it's this - they didn't give Roode new music and ring gear for the buildup to the BFG match. That was always puzzling, but now it kind of makes sense. Why establish new music and a new t-shirt if he's just about to turn heel? Wait until the turn is complete, then establish his new thang.

But they gave both Roode and Storm new music the night after BFG when both were Face.

• Moderators
There are rumours that Hogan didn't want Roode winning at BFG so that he (Hogan) got the biggest face pop of the night. Don't know whether to dismiss that as bollocks or not.

Blatantly total fucking bollocks. Where were those rumours? Rajah?

• Paid Members
There are rumours that Hogan didn't want Roode winning at BFG so that he (Hogan) got the biggest face pop of the night. Don't know whether to dismiss that as bollocks or not.

Unless Cheerleader Melissa got her mot out and you were in the building that night, nothing was getting a bigger reaction than Hogan at Bound For Glory. Hogan changed the finish, but it had fuck all to do with the reaction Roode got though.

Archived