Songs you used to sing in school assembly

Dean Ayass

I was chatting with a teacher friend of mine this weekend and we started reminsicing about songs that we sang as kids in school assemblies. For me, this would have been in the 80s.

I remember The Golden Cockerel (the golden cockerel crows in the morning, wake up children, welcome the day!) and When A Knight Won His Spurs, always accompanied by a middle-aged mumsy looking teacher bashing out a tune on the piano.

What other songs do people remember from school assembly in the morning?

• Paid Members

Who built The Ark? Noah! Noah!

Who built The Ark? Brother Noah built The Ark.

At half past three, we go home for tea

Or maybe at quarter to four.

And ten pairs of feet going running up the street

And in at their own front door.

Morning has broken, like the first morning

Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird

We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the land

For it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand

There's loads that I can remember little bits of, such as one about space (5,4,3,2,1 and zero, signals blast off into space), and We're going home, shh, shh. Something I used to do - and I'm mightily proud to admit I can still do the chorus from memory - was sing All Things Bright And Beautiful backwards.

• Moderators

If your favourite wasn't Autumn Days, you're a fucking gay. All the cool kids liked Autumn Days.

Here's what I said on this topic from last year:-

n2210712759_30107.jpg

Favourites from that musical tome included:-

"Everybody's Building" - Replete with overenthusiastic shouting of "Everybody's Building, Everybody's Building! EVERYBODY'S BUILDING DAY BY DAY!"

"Were you there" - With "I was cold, I was naked", followed by sniggering from the males of Ysgol Rhosymedre.

"Sing Hosanna" - "SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA, SIIIING HOSANNA TO THE KING OF KINGS! SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA TO THE KING!" in which the younger more foolish pupils would add a stray "Of Kings" after the last line, much to Mr Griffiths' visible chagrin.

"Autumn Days" - The best. Easily the best of the Come and Praise songs, which someone has uploaded a karaoke version of to youtube, gawd lubbum.

There was one called Water Of Life and it was really the only one I liked

Have you heard the raindrops drumming on the rooftops'?

Have vou heard the raindrops dripping on the ground?

Have you heard the raindrops splashing in the streams

And running to the rivers all around?

There's water, water of life, Jesus gives us the water of life;

There's water, water of life, Jesus gives us the water of life;

• Paid Members
If your favourite wasn't Autumn Days, you're a fucking gay. All the cool kids liked Autumn Days.

This song will always be embedded in my memory, and I still think about it when Autumn does come round each year.

The up tempo version of the Lords Prayer was always a mainstay at our school too. Rocking.

Great thread!

My personal favourite was "From the tiny ant, FROM THE TINY ANT, To the Elephant, TO THE ELEPHANT" etc etc with various animals.

This was a cracker too

. There's some top hymns out there :laugh:

Our hymns were made even better with having a piano player who would hit a bum note most songs and go "Sorry my fault" and start again

On a wagon bound for market

Theres a calf with a mournful eye

High above it, theres a sparrow

Flying swiftly through the sky

Its called Donna, and its about a cow being slaughtered. Cheery.

Autumn days is awesome.

Also have to say that All things bright and beautiful is a goodun. Mainly because the music teacher left in the "purple headed mountain" verse - which always garnered a few snickers.

• Paid Members
"Sing Hosanna" - "SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA, SIIIING HOSANNA TO THE KING OF KINGS! SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA, SING HOSANNA TO THE KING!" in which the younger more foolish pupils would add a stray "Of Kings" after the last line, much to Mr Griffiths' visible chagrin.

This was the one we sang the most, and same applied with the extra 'of kings' by the cheeky kids! Also that Who Built the Ark song. Me and the cool kids used to think we were funny when we sang 'no-one built the ark' instead. We were 7 to be fair.

At half past three, we go home for tea

Or maybe at quarter to four.

And ten pairs of feet going running up the street

And in at their own front door.

Surf, what the fuck is this?!

One I remember, but I think we mostly sung it during school camping trips, was Kumbaya. Kumbaya, my lord...Kumbaya. It was shit.

• Paid Members

I think that happened in every school, certainly mine. Except we didn't have a Mr Griffiths, we had a Mr Furness. His temper was as hot as the heating vessel that bares his name.

My own favourites were Water Of Life and If I Had A Hammer. Oh, and Ding Dong Merrily On High, during which my best mate once feinted.

Archived