Wrestling Revolution Project

steve rayson

MVP is a commonly-used acronym in other sports and common language; can WWE trademark that?

I think that's probably the key thing, right there.

He couldn't go around calling himself Montel Vontavious Porter, as Vince surely owns that (in wrestling). However he could call himself anything else that fits the letters....

Mario Van Peebles perhaps.

• Paid Members

You can tradmark it as it pertains to wrestling, I imagine. There will never be another "Hitman" in wrestling ever again. Or "Undertaker". But their could be in boxing. Or if there was a musician called Hitman Henry's Magic Band. WWE must have the rights to the MVP name, because he was given permission to use the name for New Japan.

• Paid Members
You can tradmark it as it pertains to wrestling, I imagine. There will never be another "Hitman" in wrestling ever again. Or "Undertaker". But their could be in boxing. Or if there was a musician called Hitman Henry's Magic Band. WWE must have the rights to the MVP name, because he was given permission to use the name for New Japan.

So I could trademark 'LOL' to be used as a professional wrestling moniker?

• Paid Members

The copyright may be something to do with him having not just created the character, but come up with a 20 page pitch for it which he sent in before being called up, having been promised they wouldn't just steal the idea and give it to someone else.

As far as this show goes, though, I believe the idea is to give everyone a new name as that's what you'd do with a TV drama series. In wrestling, if you change gimmick, you're still usually considered the same "wrestler", hence people think of Jacques Rougeau as having been both a tag and I-C champ. In a TV show, the characters an actor plays are completely unconnected.

• Paid Members
The copyright may be something to do with him having not just created the character, but come up with a 20 page pitch for it which he sent in before being called up, having been promised they wouldn't just steal the idea and give it to someone else.

Sure worked for Krimson.

Fergal "Prince" Devitt is the 11th member of the roster.

Good job fin martins got a week left to rewrite powerslam and turn it into a wrestling revolution tribute issue after that announcement

I think its a great idea, Katz is a smart guy with plenty of contacts in the media industry. However they real lack a big name to get the mainstream "casual" viewer interested.

On the "MVP" thing, didn't Dale Torborg (aka The WCW Kiss Demon) wrestle in WCW as MVP? I know it stood for "Most Violent Player" and was sort of a "baseball player turned wrestler" gimmick, but would have imagined WCW would have trademarked "MVP" it if at all possible and WWE as the incumbent following the take over, would have inherited said trademark?

Either way, it looks like it will be irrelevant in this case as their going with their own character. Any suggestions for a new gimmick for MVP?

• Paid Members
On the "MVP" thing, didn't Dale Torborg (aka The WCW Kiss Demon) wrestle in WCW as MVP? I know it stood for "Most Violent Player" and was sort of a "baseball player turned wrestler" gimmick, but would have imagined WCW would have trademarked "MVP" it if at all possible and WWE as the incumbent following the take over, would have inherited said trademark?

The WWF had an "MVP" in the mid 90's. Another Steve Lombardi character.

I'm surprised guys like Devitt, Omega and MVP are getting announced seen as they spend a lot of their time and pretty much reside in Japan these days.

I imagine they wouldnt need to be away from Japan that much as the series is 13 episodes and can be filmed over a short period of time

heres the kickstarter page with info

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790983...ling-revolution

Archived