Austin Wants Punk

BritFan

Steve Austin recently spoke with The Daily Star. During the interview, he stated that season two of Tough Enough is in the works. He also spoke about the possibility of working with CM Punk, here is what he had to say

• Paid Members

I dont see the difference in this to what he was saying in 2006 or 07 or 08 and so on. He said it about Hogan, he said it about Orton, he said it about the Rock when Rock did that "one more match" thing at the HOF a few years ago, he said it about the Undertaker. He even hinted that him and Goldberg were going to wrestle for Hustle in 2004 but that never happened. He always says this to get a bit of buzz going. If this was to happen, WrestleMania 28 is totally the wrong time to do it. It would be a waste to put Austin's return on the same night as Rock vs Cena, because chances are the people interested in an Austin return will be paying the money anyway next April. I can see it happening one day, and I hope I am proved wrong, but I cant see it to be honest. Everything was perfect in about 2009. I'd have paid to see Orton vs. Austin in 2009. There seems to have been plenty of other better times for him to come back than at this moment.

I'd love to see this match. I'd also like this match to be centered around more than CM Punk being staight edge and Austin being....a drinker. Thanks to the CM Punk of the past few months I think its safe to say this storyline would have a lot mor substance to it than that as if it had happened at this year's Mania it probably would have been a five minute affair.

Yeah, as much as I hate the thought of them not doing it, I had the same thoughts as Ian. When I read the interview, it basically said he'd do it for the right amount of money. There's no need to cave into financial demands though as they have Rock/Cena. Unless they want to impress the 'hip' Miami crowd. Like I said before, it'd be great having Austin/Punk, Rock/Cena and perhaps Triple H/Taker on the same card but they'd have to do a very good job of not burning the crowd out.

Wish MITB was still at Mania too.

Well if Punk's star keeps shooting as it is, then it would be very diffcult, if Austin wanted it, to not put them on last at Mania. The thought of The Rock, having not wrestled for years, and Cena, not exactly a ring general at the best of times, locking up doesn't exactly fill me with expectation.

If this was to happen, WrestleMania 28 is totally the wrong time to do it. It would be a waste to put Austin's return on the same night as Rock vs Cena, because chances are the people interested in an Austin return will be paying the money anyway next April.

Bang on.

Summerslam next year? Have Austin appear at Wrestlemania and screw with Punk in some way, and then have a 6 month feud leading up to the match. It would fulfill WWE's new taste for long-running storylines.

I disagree with the notion that Rock-Cena is going to be below-par. The sheer charisma and audience buy-in to this match will practically guarantee an explosive time. I'm thinking they'll do something similar to the excellent Hogan-Rock match, but with the roles reversed. The Rock's rarely shown ring-rust when he's come back before for the odd run, and being the professional he is I'm sure he'll train up for it.

• Paid Members
Well if Punk's star keeps shooting as it is, then it would be very diffcult, if Austin wanted it, to not put them on last at Mania.

How's that? Punk is an entertaining character, fair enough, but its not like he's Steve Austin of 1998. He's over, but that doesnt make him away where near the level of what the Rock will bring to the WWE in April. The Rock came back and single handedly increased the audience up to levels they hadnt seen in years and made a good 200,000 difference between this year and the previous year (and christ knows what else at the merchandise stand). Punk vs Austin in the "wrestling fans" dream match. Cena vs The Rock transcends anything they have had going on for years because people are desperate to see it and have done for years. I dont think its close between the importance. Most people think The Rock actually wrestling again will probably beat out the Donald Trump buyrate from a few years ago. And I'd imagine, Rock in his 30s against Cena (who never fails to deliever in the big matches) probably has more left in the tank than a 47 year old broken down Austin. Its mad to see people underplaying it after how successful The Rock's comeback was in March. And anyway, surely it'll be Triple H and CM Punk at WrestleMania, since Austin is as big a hype merchant than anyone and is probably lying (again).

Archived