Who's Hot and Who's Not in wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

As above. who's the man with all the stroke around this place and who bubbling under at a rapid rate? Can be anyone from the champion to the commentators to the lass who takes James Storms cowboy hat back to his dressing room. In any promotion on any show. Who's shit, who's class and who's good but needs a bit more to really star making an impact. Or who has been good and has lost his way recently etc.*

*Thread idea obviously stolen from Power Slam in the late 90s.

• Paid Members

Hmm, I'll try and pick from all of the promotions I follow.

HOT -

CM Punk - popularity has survived post-MITB and "just because it was his hometown" criticism due to his wit, delivery and above all else a couple of cracking matches. Time will tell whether he's finally "main eventer for good" this time, but for now he's on fire.

Natalya - I really did think she was stuck in "(baby)face in the crowd" mode along with so many other pointless Divas, but suddenly she has direction and a reason for me to notice/care what she's doing again. Fair play.

Kurt Angle - for no other reason than he's back recognized where he should be, the best in TNA. Fuck me, when you actually compare the length of time that belt has been on him, compared to when it hasn't... what a crime. In the words of my favourite philosopher Shania Twain, he's still the one.

Eddie Edwards - OK, Davey may be "the best in the world" (ughh) as far as the ROHbots go, but in terms of who has had the best match on the last I-don't-know-how-many DVDs/IPPVs of theirs I've seen, it's Eddie. Good job they have one wolf to rely on while Benoit Jr misses the next IPPV swanning off to Japan.

Tetsuya Naito - having personally seen a good portion of the G1, I can confirm this man will be a star if allowed to develop properly, and from the way the company has been booked lately, I have no doubt he will be. Yes, his matches are good, which always helps, but more important is the live crowds absolutely ADORE him, and I'm sure when he gets to challenge for the title, we'll find out they'll pay to see him too.

Daisuke Sekimoto - fuck me ragged, why All Japan are booking KENSO/Kenzo Suzuki in main events when they have access to this tank is beyond me. New Japan doesn't need any new top tier talent but Christ, if All Japan aren't sold on his credentials, then maybe Noah would appreciate a new face to rumble with Sugs and Shiozaki since they seem eternally reluctant to promote KENTA and the top end is getting stale.

NOT -

Rey Mysterio - yeah, that's right. I know he's gone off now with his injury, but I'm seriously troubled by how he has been treated the last five weeks. The Raw after MITB Vince spoke to him like a child when postponing Rey/Miz, and made his match look inconsequential. Then he was given a 90 minute title reign that due to Punk's return, nobody was talking about the week after, despite capturing the WWE title and having a great match to boot. Furthermore with the "unification" of Cena's WWE title with the one that Punk "never lost" then the title effectively went straight from Punk to Del Rio, and Rey's might as well have not happened. Shocking.

Alicia, Rosa, Maryse, AJ - I really don't see why these haven't been discarded as cost-cutting. What exactly do they contribute to the show other than making up numbers in pointless 10-14 woman 2 minute matches and getting pinned? They never get chance to do anything or show any personality. You could remove them (along with Gail and Melina) from the picture for the last 18 months and have missed none of the memorable Diva storylines, if you can call them that. For the amount of time the division gets on telly, it only needs a shallow roster, and they can easily survive on just the Bellas, Beth & Natalya, Eve and Kelly. And I only include Kelly because she is currently champion. Come back ASAP Layla.

Abyss - please, just fuck off.

El Generico - without spoiling anything for the 0> people who both stay ROH spoiler-free and post on here, he's just had his balls cut off and probably feels utterly worthless to them right now, which after the reactions he generated at Final Battle and Best In The World, is a senseless waste.

Hirooki Goto - remember when he was the next best thing? After coming so close many times, he won his G1 and time and time again has reached for that brass ring and been found wanting. In 2011 he's tapping to MVP's shoddy crossface and is one of the natives chosen to lie down for fucking Strong Man in this year's G1. By the time Goto's turn does come around (if it does) it will be a wet fart of Yasuda proportions.

The Hardys - I think Jeff's fucked for good, and since TNA only ever had Matt around as a favour for Matt, he's pretty fucked too. On the subject of Matt, I'd love to take a few snorts of whatever Reby is on that makes her see Matt's redeeming features, and before you say "TNA wrestler's pay," I'm sure there are a handful of TNA guys that would happily have shacked up with her who aren't complete tools drowning in their own self-indulgent fuckery.

That was fun.

• Paid Members
El Generico - without spoiling anything for the 0> people who both stay ROH spoiler-free and post on here, he's just had his balls cut off and probably feels utterly worthless to them right now, which after the reactions he generated at Final Battle and Best In The World, is a senseless waste.

I don't follow ROH, what happened? El Generico is probably one of the hardest working wrestlers of the past 5 years, I'd hate for him to be fucked over.

• Paid Members
I don't follow ROH, what happened?

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

He lost the TV title to Jay Lethal on the TV tapings without making a single defence. Which kind of shits on how wild NYC went for him winning it from Chris Daniels.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

HOT: Bully Ray. Best pure heel in the business right now. Considering I found his solo run at the beginning of the brand extension one of the least inspiring things in wrestling at the time, it's nothing short of a revelation that he's become such a credible, watchable singles performer at this stage of his career. A JBL-esque transformation.

NOT: Mr Anderson. Even by Russo's standards, the booking of Anderson recently has been erratic and haphazard, and I reckon (perhaps wishful thinking) he could be on the outs. Nobody's known whether he's a heel or a face for months, and he doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, to the extent that he wasn't even allowed to stand around making up the numbers in Immortal for more than a couple of weeks.

I used to like when Power Slam did this, except i seem to remember them slaggin Davey Boy off in the 2000 one

Also, So Cal Val is, and always will be, fit as fuck

socal-val-02.jpg

Slightly weird nose, but fucking hell, you'd have to be playing on the other side of the tracks to say no to that surely?

Kings of Wrestling and the American Wolves are hot as fuck.

Id go as far to include the entire ROH tag team division, the two you mention plus the much improved ANX, the reinvigorated Haas and Benjamin and the Briscoes and Cole/O'Reilly have been fantastic in 2011. All matches involving any combination have not disappointed.

As for who's good but needs a bit more Id go for Michael Elgin, the man can be a monster heel in ROH and is benefiting a lot more having Truth as his manager than Roderick Strong has

Archived