Benoit did have charisma

Richie Freebird

I'd agree that he was charismatic. Not majorly or anything, but enough that people could care about him. I don't think his run at the top in WWE could have worked if he hadn't had that bit going for him, and even when he was in the midcard, people cared right from when he started in WWE untill the murder-suicide.

He couldn't talk worth a damn though. Everything he said just seemed so forced. Everything was "LISTEN TO HOW AGGRESSIVE I AM!" instead of actually being aggressive.

• Paid Members

He was fucking useless Richie. What brand of rollies are using this Friday night. Even the strictest member of the Chris Benoit, Dennis and Gnasher Club from 1997, who said he was the best thing since the freshly sliced Warburtons thought he was viewer repellent when he picked the microphone up or tried to act. I even had images of Gene Okerlund walking around the corner and seeing Benoit and jumping into a washing basket when it was time the next segment where a WCW wrestler spoke on the ramp when more important matters could have been solved (like the Nitro Girls giving Tony Shavione a stottie and thanking fuck the table was hiding the first erection he'd had since Sherri's skirt came up at SummerSlam 89). Benoit was bearable in the WWF because they had him saying things like "This one's for Eddie" or "how could you do it Chavo", but in WCW his expressions in angles and his microphone skills were just rotten. Look at who he knocked about with or feuded with: Pillman (could talk), Flair (could talk), Arn (could talk), Woman (could talk, even though Mr. Roboto seemed against the idea in mid-2007), Kevin Sullivan, DDP, Raven and so on. Benoit either was put with people to do the talking for him or feuded with people who did the talking, where as he just did what he was brilliant at. Are you sure you werent mistaking him for MI Smooth?

He wasn't a good promo in the sense that he could hype the crowd into a frenzy like The Rock, or tell a compelling 10-minute anecdote like Mick Foley or Arn Anderson. But if you played to his strengths in a certain role, he could be good. Wrestling promos are full of corny, overblown threats which evoke more laughter than anything else, but when Benoit promised he was going to hurt someone in his low, even tone with that toothless grin, it was very believable. That's why I liked him best as the cold, stoic heel he portrayed when he first arrived in the WWF. I felt he and Jericho complemented each other perfectly on the mic as well as in the ring - Jericho as the cocky, piss-taking gobshite who could carry the lion's share of the promo, and Benoit as the cold, sadistic bastard aching for a chance to shut him up.

He was also uncharacteristically funny as fuck in this segment with Kurt Angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Nj3W3MvKY

I'm not sure I'd call it charisma, but his sheer intensity did fit the psychopath character perfectly in the ring. He was a fucking shit interview, though, and was an absolute waste of time when it came to doing anything resembling a storyline. Probably one of the best midcarders ever, equally adept as a babyface or heel, could have a decent match with near enough anyone. Not my cup of tea, though. I'd take thirty one-minute Edge/Christian/Foley sketches over a Benoit match, if I was offered a choice between them. I was never much into the STIFF MOVESET~ even at the time, and that was before we knew all the head drops would lead to him going a bit Fred West.

• Paid Members
In fact, I’d encourage any wrestling fans to watch the whole clip and the part 2 which is linked from the original video on youtube. It’s one of the greatest pieces of non actual wrestling match footage that has been shown in our sport.

It was a really good segment, no question, but there was a thousand things happening during those 15 minutes and a lot better performances during that segment. The fact Benoit kept quiet was probably for the best. Mongo should have followed his lead. For that one blubber lipped occassion there are a hundred clips of Benoit looking like he was a small animal about to get ran over by a truck. Dean Malenko was worse though.

Honestly though, I don’t care how many snide, sarcastic remarks you can type to “prove” my opinion wrong

Benoit must have rubbed off on you. Your now stealing his lines.

regarding that clip - what the fuck was the fire engine all about?

On the WWE 24/7 showing of this edition of Nitro, a little inset video comment by Bischoff appears during this segment. He says the fans were so shocked and frightened by what was going on that they actually believed it and phoned pretty much all of the emergency services themselves.

It does seem strange it already being right there pretty much on the set though doesn

• Paid Members
Indeed. Kept it going untill early 2001. At LEAST untill the ladder match with Jericho, when they used the phrase in the build up video.

Did he keep using it as a babyface?

I think he did during those matches with Angle before the King of the Ring threeway. He seemed to hand over catchphrase duties to Jericho when they teamed. The fact Benoit was so terrible on the microphone and as an onscreen character is really a testiment to how good he was in the ring. He was proof that if you were as good as he was, you could be a massive success in WWE. He had everyones respect pre-2007. Its easy to forget, but for years everyone thought he didnt stand a chance in WWF, especially in 2000, which was catchphrase city. But he not only suceeded, he was one of the locker room leaders (for better or worse), which is mad to think.

Archived