Calling all Gleeks

ThumpSquids

I take it you've never worked in a studio before? The amount of auto-tune is way higher than any usual chart song and not hidden anywhere near as well.

No one is accusing them of being 'talentless', he just said if they are such good singers anyway - then let them actually sing properly.

Yeah, I wasn't responding to Sym particularly. Other people have been banging the "talentless" drum and his statement just gave me a jumping off point to reply.

And fair enough, I'll hold my hands up to not recognising production on a finer level. I guess I associate auto-tune with the heavier use by the likes of T-Pain etc. I listen to this and I admit I don't really hear it, whereas on something like this I hear it a bit. But, y'know, a part of my defense is based on the fact that I have seen them sing live and they were (for the most part) very good. I guess the answer to the "why not just let them sing?" thing is money. Basically every song from Glee gets released as a single the day the show airs so there's not really room for a great performance with the odd imperfection or flaw. Everything has to be perfectly homogenised, tidy and instantly radio ready.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they should have cast some decent singers then. I've worked with plenty of singers over the years who would never need autotune. Mind you, if "pwoper singer" Adele needs autotuning, there's no hope nowadays.

• Paid Members
Basically every song from Glee gets released as a single the day the show airs so there's not really room for a great performance with the odd imperfection or flaw. Everything has to be perfectly homogenised, tidy and instantly radio ready.

You know it doesn't go out live, don't you? The songs they mime to on the show would have been recorded weeks before the episode is broadcast.

Yeah to be fair to the cast they record each song for about 30 minutes or something like that, its not like a band making an album that can spend weeks perfecting 1 song.

How many weeks do you think singers like Aretha Franklin, Jackie Wilson, etc.. spent perfecting one song?

How many takes, and how much autotuning did the Jacksons, or the Bee Gees, or the Beach Boys need to get their harmonies spot on?

Maybe they should have cast some decent singers then. I've worked with plenty of singers over the years who would never need autotune. Mind you, if "pwoper singer" Adele needs autotuning, there's no hope nowadays.

Ever heard the tales about Kylie when she signed to Mercury records?

You know it doesn't go out live, don't you? The songs they mime to on the show would have been recorded weeks before the episode is broadcast.

I don't really see what I said which would imply otherwise. My point was that the recordings are made with sales in mind and so they're produced to within an inch of their life as per industry standards. A more realistic "live" performance for the show - left relatively raw in the recording, warts and all - simply wouldn't sell as well once it hit iTunes. People, in the broad populist sense, want polish. But that doesn't mean the cast aren't naturally good singers. As I've said before, they sing live on the tours and the shows have been very well received critically. I totally get people thinking it's not their thing or even that it's flat-out awful, I'm just a bit bored of the "they can't sing" bit. Obviously no-one's claiming they're Aretha Franklin or Jackie Wilson, but most of them are pretty good.

Archived