Calling all Gleeks

ThumpSquids

Ehh. Glee's not the hill I choose to die on, but I do think most of the vitriol in this thread comes off just as juvenile as the show itself. It seems like a lot of the ill-feeling is based on Glee as a franchise more than the TV show itself. So you're not into the sound of modern pop music? Fair enough. So they "ruined" Journey for you? Poor baby. You hate Ryan Murphy and his outbursts? Well, they don't actually have any bearing on the show now, do they? It's a network TV high school drama like Dawson's Creek, The O.C., One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, 90210 and all of those but with a comedy musical take; targeted at a mass audience in the same way that, for example, WWE is. What standards are you holding it up to that it deserves such a heavy slating?

I said before that I don't think it's great. I know it's not. The characters are thin, the story plotting isn't great and inevitably it's quite moralistic and melodramatic. But, hey, which of those other teen dramas I mentioned doesn't suffer all those things? Meanwhile there is some genuinely funny writing and the musical aspect is something I'm not sure we've ever seen pulled off so consistently on TV. It's unique, it has mass appeal and it's for the whole family. And I think there's a reason so many respected writers/stars (the likes of Joss Whedon) have spoken out in favour of it.

Now, I watch a lot of TV, so I'm not saying Glee should be high on the list of shows people must watch, but I think it has its space. I used to watch The X Factor, for example, but now I'd rather watch Glee because I find it's funnier, it has better musical performances and there's better story potential. It's decent light entertainment. And I can understand not liking it that much, or if you think a musical series is not your thing, but writing it off as worthless garbage seems like a ridiculous overreaction. That is all, I guess. And far too much, I suppose.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Ehh. Glee's not the hill I choose to die on, but I do think most of the vitriol in this thread comes off just as juvenile as the show itself. It seems like a lot of the ill-feeling is based on Glee as a franchise more than the TV show itself. So you're not into the sound of modern pop music? Fair enough. So they "ruined" Journey for you? Poor baby. You hate Ryan Murphy and his outbursts? Well, they don't actually have any bearing on the show now, do they? It's a network TV high school drama like Dawson's Creek, The O.C., One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, 90210 and all of those but with a comedy musical take; targeted at a mass audience in the same way that, for example, WWE is. What standards are you holding it up to that it deserves such a heavy slating?

I said before that I don't think it's great. I know it's not. The characters are thin, the story plotting isn't great and inevitably it's quite moralistic and melodramatic. But, hey, which of those other teen dramas I mentioned doesn't suffer all those things? Meanwhile there is some genuinely funny writing and the musical aspect is something I'm not sure we've ever seen pulled off so consistently on TV. It's unique, it has mass appeal and it's for the whole family. And I think there's a reason so many respected writers/stars (the likes of Joss Whedon) have spoken out in favour of it.

Now, I watch a lot of TV, so I'm not saying Glee should be high on the list of shows people must watch, but I think it has its space. I used to watch The X Factor, for example, but now I'd rather watch Glee because I find it's funnier, it has better musical performances and there's better story potential. It's decent light entertainment. And I can understand not liking it that much, or if you think a musical series is not your thing, but writing it off as worthless garbage seems like a ridiculous overreaction. That is all, I guess. And far too much, I suppose.

pretty much sums it up.

It's just personal tastes mate, If I don't like it I have a right to sound off on it on a forum, just as you do to defend it.

Dawson's Creek had Pacey.

The OC had Seth.

One Tree Hill has Dan Scott.

Gossip Girl has Chuck Bass.

90210 has a few wank-worthy ladies.

Glee has a bunch of perky, annoying, talentless cunts who abuse music on a weekly basis. No comparison.

• Paid Members
Dawson's Creek had Pacey.

The OC had Seth.

One Tree Hill has Dan Scott.

Gossip Girl has Chuck Bass.

90210 has a few wank-worthy ladies.

Glee has a bunch of perky, annoying, talentless cunts who abuse music on a weekly basis. No comparison.

Back of the net.

• Paid Members

I have always tried to avoid Glee for fear of liking it. Sadly I accidently caught a glimps of Glee Encore and found that I liked what a saw :( I knew this day would come eventually. I must resist though!

EDIT: I'm saved! Just saw some dude in dodgy looking boots dancing in front of a light sign that spelled out KURT. WAAAAAYYYYY to camp for me.

EDIT: I'm saved! Just saw some dude in dodgy looking boots dancing in front of a light sign that spelled out KURT. WAAAAAYYYYY to camp for me.

Yeah, see... I really liked that. Broadway numbers ftw. I totally get people not liking it though. A few years ago I wouldn't have either.

Out of curiosity I had a gander on Youtube. Is there anything to it beside the really shitty singing parts, because that's all I can find.

It's a musical. In a 40-45 minute episode, you're looking at a good 10-20 minutes of musical numbers.

• Paid Members
Yeah, see... I really liked that. Broadway numbers ftw. I totally get people not liking it though. A few years ago I wouldn't have either.

I like a bit of a musical, loved Grease, even Grease 2 and I'd still happily sit through Wizard of Oz, hey and a spoon full of sugar never hurt anyone! BUT, I'm definately more fun for all the family musical than HELLOOOOO is that Graham Norton I see front row? SHUT UP! Know what I mean?

• Paid Members

It's a musical. In a 40-45 minute episode, you're looking at a good 10-20 minutes of musical numbers.

That would be a first.

• Paid Members

Are the songs placed with some meaning or structure to them, do they have a place within a central plot 9 times in 10 or is it that there's a story but they all stop now and then to have a sing song?

If that makes sense. Do the songs revolve around the plot of the life and times of a load of tossers in a sort of soliloquy or is there a plot that revolves around people who get together and sing.

Either way it doesn't seem like my bag any way, I'm just curious.

Are the songs placed with some meaning or structure to them, do they have a place within a central plot 9 times in 10 or is it that there's a story but they all stop now and then to have a sing song?

If that makes sense. Do the songs revolve around the plot of the life and times of a load of tossers in a sort of soliloquy or is there a plot that revolves around people who get together and sing.

Either way it doesn't seem like my bag any way, I'm just curious.

I love the show but I do hate the term gleek :(

The songs do play a part to the storyline for that particular episode. Each week there's usually a continuing storyline developing for example one week one guys dad had a heart attack which made him question about God, so that episode, the teacher asked them to sing songs with religious meaning. Another example including the group arguing all the time about rumours going around the school so they were forced to work together on covers from the album 'Rumours' by Fleetwood mac. and they regularly have artist specific episodes (Bieber, Madonna, Britney, Gaga etc)

I know it sounds shit written down but the thing I love most about it is that the show knows it's audience and it points out the flaws. It addresses that it usually covers older songs that kids don't relate to. and regularly gets ripped upon by Jane Lynch (Who does own the show) and they realise some of the situations are pretty retarded but when you have a pregnant virgin cheerleader as head of the celibacy club (Yeah, you read that right) what's not to love?!

Another example including the group arguing all the time about rumours going around the school so they were forced to work together on covers from the album 'Rumours' by Fleetwood mac. and they regularly have artist specific episodes (Bieber, Madonna, Britney, Gaga etc)

I had to sit through that crap the other day due to my Vigin box deciding to crash.

What a heap of shit it was! Absolutely ruined one of my favourite albums. It's as if they use auto-tune on top of the already auto-tuned singing, bloody awful to listen to and massively overproduced.

See, having watched the first half of the season it quickly dawned on me what this show is, and I stopped watching! My main problem being that there was very little plot development!

As I said, I watched the first half of the season, within which, more often than not, at least one of the following happened: one member of the group threatened or left the group, only to get talked round and rejoin at the end of the episode, the pregnant girl's boyfriend almost found out that it wasn't his baby, but then didn't, the two teachers almost get together but then didnt, the two main characters almost get together but then dont, the glee club gets threatened with shut down, but didn't!

Then, I caught a middle episode of season 2 and someone threatened to leave, but didn't, the two main characters almost get back together, then didn't, and the glee club got threatened with shut down but it didn't!

This is not counting the horribly autotuned songs, If they have the talent then why not just let them sing normally?

All that said, I'm clearly not the shows target audience, so if people like it then so be it!

This is not counting the horribly autotuned songs, If they have the talent then why not just let them sing normally?

I'm actually confused by all these auto-tune complaints. You'd think the vocals sound like Kanye on 808's... or T-Pain or something. They don't. At all. I mean, I won't deny that there might be a bit of auto-tune tweaking, and obviously some cast members are more vocally talented than others, but on the whole the vocals sound like any other pop vocal you'd hear on the radio, sometimes even better (for example, I think Lea Michele and Amber Riley are clearly better singers than the likes of Katy Perry and Ke$ha). A more legitimate complaint, I think, would be against the kind of flat, Hollywood gloss production on nearly all the recordings, but again I think that's just something that plagues most pop nowadays. Any Miley Cyrus or Jonas Brothers or Selena Gomez album, I bet, will sound exactly the same. And I totally get it if you hate the sound, but the whole "talentless" accusation is way off. If any of you do anything as well as Amber Riley and Lea Michele sing, I take my hat off to you.

I'm actually confused by all these auto-tune complaints. You'd think the vocals sound like Kanye on 808's... or T-Pain or something. They don't. At all. I mean, I won't deny that there might be a bit of auto-tune tweaking, and obviously some cast members are more vocally talented than others, but on the whole the vocals sound like any other pop vocal you'd hear on the radio, sometimes even better (for example, I think Lea Michele and Amber Riley are clearly better singers than the likes of Katy Perry and Ke$ha). A more legitimate complaint, I think, would be against the kind of flat, Hollywood gloss production on nearly all the recordings, but again I think that's just something that plagues most pop nowadays. Any Miley Cyrus or Jonas Brothers or Selena Gomez album, I bet, will sound exactly the same. And I totally get it if you hate the sound, but the whole "talentless" accusation is way off. If any of you do anything as well as Amber Riley and Lea Michele sing, I take my hat off to you.

I take it you've never worked in a studio before? The amount of auto-tune is way higher than any usual chart song and not hidden anywhere near as well.

No one is accusing them of being 'talentless', he just said if they are such good singers anyway - then let them actually sing properly.

Archived