RIOT!

big mickey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched some of the footage last night and this morning and it really is unbelievable. I feel for everyone who is caught up in the middle of it all. I've no idea the solution, but it looks like more than a quick fix is needed. Its sad to see the police on the front line armed with nothing more than a baton - they're on a hiding to nothing. It was sickening to see one of them go down live on the news last night - his colleagues forming a human shield whislt he was pulled to safety, all the while these fucking retards hurled missiles at him.

But now the riots are spreading, what will happen next? I'm fucked if I know, but the three follow up cities of Liverpool, Bristol and Birmingham and pretty far apart. This can only encourage numpties in other cities to follow suit in a "if-they-can-do-it-why-can't-we" scenario. I'd be on the lookout if I lived in Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle and even North of the border. You just know that there are local bell ends in every city just waiting for an excuse to kick off and have a go.

Its madness.

I don't have any sympathy for them. I lose any respect or feeling for you the second you trample on others to "better" yourself. This is a country of opportunity. Everyone has the opportunity to be something. Everyone has access to education. Everyone gets a foot on the ladder. Sure, we all come from different backgrounds and have different upbringings but we all put our foot on the same ladder. You don't have to follow the same path as everyone around you. People in this country are incredibly lucky. Even the poorest people in society have things a damn sight better than the poorest in the rest of the world.

We don't have the same opportunities. There is a massive difference between the education of some people compared to others and many live in poverty. You're looking through rose-tinted specs if you think that everyone here is 'incredibly lucky'. We may be low on the list in terms of absolute poverty, but in terms of relative poverty (i.e the differences between the rich and the poor), we're one of the worst. And that gap keeps growing. Sure, everyone might have the 'opportunity to be something', but some chances are much, much lower.

Of course they'll clamp down on them because they cannot be trusted. Idiots will scream about it but they've brought it on themselves. It's irrelevant anyway, they're not protesting, they've no interest in protesting.

They might not be protesting in the traditional sense but of course they are in a way, albeit in an aggressive and violent way.

• Awards Moderator
Police being stabbed in Bootle in the Liverpool Riots.

This happened near Aintree/Old Roan and is said to be unrelated. It's the other side of Liverpool so that makes sense, not that it's any comfort to the family of the lad who was stabbed (who wasn't a copper).

I'd imagine rohpete is either out helping the cleanup or catching up on a few hours' sleep, but it'd be good to hear from him in here again so we know nothing happened after he last posted.

The whole situation across the country is surreal.

• Paid Members
They might not be protesting in the traditional sense but of course they are in a way, albeit in an aggressive and violent way.

What do they want and how do they expect this to help? I'm sorry but a protest has a point and has a goal. Do they expect more opportunity now they've put a massive strain on the finances of the country and the local council's for the policing, emergency services and clean up operation? Not to mention the fact they've put up everyone's insurance premiums and caused more unemployment.

What do they want and how do they expect this to help? I'm sorry but a protest has a point and has a goal. Do they expect more opportunity now they've put a massive strain on the finances of the country and the local council's for the policing, emergency services and clean up operation? Not to mention the fact they've put up everyone's insurance premiums and caused more unemployment.

I'm not saying what they're doing is the right way or will have any positive outcome for them. I'd imagine that if they had more productive and fulfilling lives there would not be a need for this uncontrolled aggression.

So not actually protesting at all then? Like a few people on here said last night/this morning, let's leave the understanding of why they're doing this until it's all calmed down, can't see anyone having much success asking some lad how he'd rate his primary and secondary education while he's putting a brick through Phones 4 U's window

• Paid Members

Ken Livingstone made some good points on the BBC last night. We've not seen any proper rioting since around 85'. A mate of mine was round last night, he's a lot older than me & the first thing he said was 'this is just like in the mid-eighties' when it kicked off in London & quickly moved to Liverpool, Newcastle, Brum & W'Hampton. Obviously this will be a new thing for a lot of people who aren't old enough to remember the last time but we've had a near 30 year run with no civil disobedience.

So not actually protesting at all then? Like a few people on here said last night/this morning, let's leave the understanding of why they're doing this until it's all calmed down, can't see anyone having much success asking some lad how he'd rate his primary and secondary education while he's putting a brick through Phones 4 U's window

So don't you think you need some understanding of it to know how to deal with it without it escalating further? Seems like the authorities are pretty stumped at the minute.

• Paid Members
I'm not saying what they're doing is the right way or will have any positive outcome for them. I'd imagine that if they had more productive and fulfilling lives there would not be a need for this uncontrolled aggression.

I think that's pretty much what my earlier post said isn't it?

Some of them probably never had a chance. Lot's of them had no interest in taking the chance they were given. If they want change, this is no way to go about it. They'll only generate more hostility from the police, the government and the public.

• Paid Members

I really don't understand what's going on, none of this makes sense to me. It's not a protest, they don't appear to be looking to achieve anything. It's mindless violence for the sake of it.

People on Facebook were saying the Police need to just start shooting people. Maybe they're right, I don't have the answer to this. I'm just confused.

I do know my TV packed up in the early hours of Sunday morning. I'm rather glad I didn't decide to burn the house down otherwise I'd have nowhere to watch SummerSlam at the weekend.

I think that's pretty much what my earlier post said isn't it?

Some of them probably never had a chance. Lot's of them had no interest in taking the chance they were given. If they want change, this is no way to go about it. They'll only generate more hostility from the police, the government and the public.

And vice versa. Maybe they're not looking for change, maybe they don't even believe they can have better lives. These are people who have no belief in themselves, their community, the police or the government. Do you not see why its important that they get that back? Otherwise why would they give a shit about it?

People on Facebook were saying the Police need to just start shooting people. Maybe they're right, I don't have the answer to this. I'm just confused.

I get that you're confused but do you really think that shooting people is the answer? And seeing as there's probably more than a few guns going around London, what happens if they shoot back?

• Paid Members

This is essentially what Livingstone was saying. This is the first generation since the last, great depression that have had less opportunity & visible chance of a future than their parents. The notion of being able to have a job that supports a family & own a home is as foreign & far away as being a famous footballer. Anyone with that inherent sense of worthlessness, no self value & nothing to care about or aim for is a dangerous prospect. There's nothing scarier than someone who truly has nothing to lose.