So, Who Attended The Indypendence Day Weekend Back in 2008?

Ez Money

Yes, this weekend of wrestling took place in Wolverhampton (same venue as the NOAH 2011 tour) and it was stacked with indy talent. I missed out on going at the time and was told the DVD's for whatever reason were never going to to see the light of day but finally they have been released. I was at the 'Fight For Honour' show by FightClub: Pro on Friday the 15th and the ID2008 DVD's were there on sale, to say I marked out like a bitch would be an understatement. Heard so much about the shows was chuffed to of finally got them. I've not really had the time to watch the discs yet but I did watch Bryan Danielson vs. Austin Aries vs. Nigel McGuinness and this match was just great.

So anyone here attend the show, if so, thoughts/memories?

EZ

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, this weekend of wrestling took place in Wolverhampton (same venue as the NOAH 2011 tour) and it was stacked with indy talent. I missed out on going at the time and was told the DVD's for whatever reason were never going to to see the light of day but finally they have been released. I was at the 'Fight For Honour' show by FightClub: Pro on Friday the 15th and the ID2008 DVD's were there on sale, to say I marked out like a bitch would be an understatement. Heard so much about the shows was chuffed to of finally got them. I've not really had the time to watch the discs yet but I did watch Bryan Danielson vs. Austin Aries vs. Nigel McGuinness and this match was just great.

So anyone here attend the show, if so, thoughts/memories?

EZ

That is the first that I have heard about the ID DVD's finally being released.

Yep....I was there and much like Richie I was sat front row and much like Richie I was slaughtered almost beyond repair. Had a total blast that weekend and it left me with some very crazy stories to tell....like - Never get in a taxi OUTSIDE your hotel in WOLVERHAMPTON and ask him to take you to the DONCASTER DOME!...then ending up outside some dodgy brothel (without asking to go there) and having no money to pay the taxi man and subsequent run in with some local lags and the law. Also never attempt to show Nigel Mcguinness your dancing moves when you can barely stand let alone dance! Although discussing the merits of British boobs compared to American, Canada and Japanese boobs with Kenny Omega over a jaegarmeister or two was pretty sound. Awesome weekend!

• Paid Members

Really hated that name. It's like the promoter didn't even get that the word "indy" comes from the word "independent" in the first place. Had I been promoting such a show, and I was required to give it an AMERICAN "Independence Day"-type name, I'd have called it "Independents Day".

It was stupid enough that it was a British show named after an American holiday celebrating them beating us.

• Paid Members

I was there both nights. It was a good laugh. My ex was frothing at the gash at Delirious and El Generico as a tag team, they were two of her favourites. I marked out getting to see the turnbuckle brainbuster. Plus the storytelling was excellent in Moralez/HBL vs Spud/Models. The place was rabid hoping to see Dave take Spud's head off, and he did.

Right, enough foreplay, where can I get the bloody DVDs????

i was there as well as i live in wolverhampton.

would love to see dvd as we got treated to the top us indy stars like aries,mcguiness,danielson,davey richards,tyler black,jimmy jacobs and my personal favourites the briscoe brothers.

also remember night two opened with a tag match between delirious/generico and hubba bubba lucha where it looked like el ligero nearly got killed at the finish.my other memory is how badly attended the show was.

two months later LDN ran a show at the same venue featuring kendo nagasaki and the place was rammed!!!!!!!!

I was there both nights. It was a good laugh. My ex was frothing at the gash at Delirious and El Generico as a tag team, they were two of her favourites. I marked out getting to see the turnbuckle brainbuster. Plus the storytelling was excellent in Moralez/HBL vs Spud/Models. The place was rabid hoping to see Dave take Spud's head off, and he did.

You can remember all that? You can

• Paid Members

I was there with a group of others. Absolutely cracking weekend, though that wasn't much to do with the wrestling.

I remember the first night was wildly inconsistent. There was some great matches mixed in with some total crap:

- This was the show where the ring announcer explained the lack of the once-announced (and locally adverised) New Japan Pro Wrestling talent by announcing "The Chinese guys aren't here"

- El Generico vs. Kenny Omega (or KENNY OMEG as all the local flyers and posters had him listed) was bland, dull and rather pointless

- Johnny Moss vs. Juggernaut just failed to click at all

- Moralez/Ligero/Bubblegum vs. SpUd/Hayes/Hope was an absolute cracker that saved the show for me at that point

- Roderick Strong vs. Delirious was another really bland, pointless encounter

- Briscoes vs. Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards was a thrilling, all-action live spectacle

- Bryan Danielson vs. Austin Aries vs. Nigel McGuiness was a tremendous main event

The IPW:UK afternoon show was brilliant, actually being the best show of the entire weekend, as El Ligero vs. Zack Sabre Jr, Johnny Moss vs. Sam Slam, Haskins/Redman vs. The Kartel and Martin Stone vs. Dave Moralez were all really good. The main event of Iestyn Rees vs. Al Snow, though, was complete garbage.

The second night was much better than the first from an in-ring perspective:

- Generico/Delierious vs. Ligero/Bubblegum was a fabulously entertaining opener

- Edwards vs. Strong was an intense little cracker, much better than the dull singles contests the previous evening

- Doug Williams/McGuiness vs. The Briscoes was excellent

- Richards vs. Sabre Jr vs. Redman vs. Omega was another really good little bout

- Bad Bones vs. Tommy End vs. Thumbtack Jack was absolutely abysmal

- Aries/Danielson vs. Jimmy Jacobs/Tyler Black was a tremendous main event

We were originally supposed to have balcony seating, but that was amended when they moved to the smaller hall after terrible, terrible ticket sales for a so-called "supershow". As such, we actually ended up sat on the second row, even in front of people who had paid a lot, lot more than us. It was a complete fiasco.

We spent most of the weekend in Yates and other local drinking establishments, and by Monday morning I was rather quite ill.....

Can't say I've been eagerly anticipating the DVDs, but it might be interesting to see it back....

Archived