The potential of CM Punk

vanhalen2007

CM Punk  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think if he returns and gets to star in a WWE film he could easily shine in the role as he has done with his recent promos and possibly be offered other movie roles and effectively become a bigger name than the industry he came from.

YIts weird. I havent watched for a while but the past few weeks i have almost felt like i have HAD to watch. But the thing for me was i was watching mitb and my misses who doesnt like wrestling began watching and was saying how much she wanted cm punk to win and really began to get involved in the match. P.s just before she said whos that hes hit i.e randy orton lol

• Paid Members

CM Punk is good and very compelling, but so was Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Edge, Jericho, Angle, Triple H and countless others. He's not the next Austin. I'm a big fan of him, but there's just no chance. Take yourself out of the current bubble, go back into your mind of 1999. Austin's shirts were on the shelves of HMV and Sainsbury's, he was a regular on the very popular Celebrity Death Match show, he was a star of TV shows, he was the man. He was EVERYWHERE in the UK let alone the United States. Austin sold out a UK tour that I went to where the headline match was him vs the Boss Man. The fucking Boss Man! And not blue shirted best big man in the business Boss Man either. Its hyperbole to think he could be the next Austin. Its not even knocking him, but for anyone to be the next Austin its unthinkable in 2011. The business would have to be at the height of pop culture. What CM Punk is currently doing is making wrestling fans enjoy the product again. What Austin did was make people who werent wrestling fans think it was cool because he was something we all wanted to be. Mick Foley said it best on his twitter "CM Punk is making smart fans wonder if they really are smart..and, more importantly, making them wish they weren't." He's one for the wrestling fans. Austin was so much more than that. Even Cena, Batista, Lesnar and the other big superstars of the last few years werent on Austin's level.

• Paid Members
CM Punk is good and very compelling, but so was Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Edge, Jericho, Angle, Triple H and countless others. He's not the next Austin. I'm a big fan of him, but there's just no chance. Take yourself out of the current bubble, go back into your mind of 1999. Austin's shirts were on the shelves of HMV and Sainsbury's, he was a regular on the very popular Celebrity Death Match show, he was a star of TV shows, he was the man. He was EVERYWHERE in the UK let alone the United States. Austin sold out a UK tour that I went to where the headline match was him vs the Boss Man. The fucking Boss Man!

I was at that show. I wasa little pissed off when I found out that the main event of the night before in Sheffield was Austin Vs Rock, but now when I look back at the names from that house show it was an incredible run of names, Owen Hart, Edge, Jarrett (if you like him), The Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock and Stone Cold. When I look back and see that it certainly puts it into perspective and really makes the touring rosters seem even thinner nowadays.

The business was on fucking fire then. Austin? Well, such was his influence on folk, it made Ian wear the same fucking hat everyday for years. I swear, he was wearing that thing until at least 2005, he might still wear it now. :laugh:

CM Punk? He is very very good, and very compelling. This whole angle with him right now has got me watching the product properly again, in that I stayed up to watch last night and will do the same tonight for Raw. He's fresh and someone you can get behind, but how much of that is a result of the fact that there's a lot less to choose from now. Austin rose above a lot of fantastic talents and future superstars during his run. Back then, I watched Raw every week without exeption, there was just no way I could miss that show, and I know there was a hell of a lot of others like that also.

Punk is great, but it's movies for guys who love movies.

• Paid Members
The business was on fucking fire then. Austin? Well, such was his influence on folk, it made Ian wear the same fucking hat everyday for years. I swear, he was wearing that thing until at least 2005, he might still wear it now. :laugh:

It stinks of the sheer amount of times it rained as I played footie in Barnes Park, but wore it soaking wet anyway pretending it was just beer I'd necked after a hard fought battle with the Corporation. All the buttons popped off it though. Otherwise, I'd probably have it on as I type. That cap was with me though the good times and the bad.

• Paid Members
It stinks of the sheer amount of times it rained as I played footie in Barnes Park, but wore it soaking wet anyway pretending it was just beer I'd necked after a hard fought battle with the Corporation. All the buttons popped off it though. Otherwise, I'd probably have it on as I type. That cap was with me though the good times and the bad.

When I saw you burst through the fire doors in the corrridors in college, the fear of god went into me. One time, I swear that there was little fat fella screaming "Bah GAWD!!" In the background. I didn't stay to find out, though, I just ran off in extreme fear with my mates Gerald and Pat.

Fucking bargain, don't get too excited Ian lad

• Paid Members

I usually knocked about with a lad who's sole purpose was to smash a window before I walked through a door and raised my fists at each corner of every room. The students would go wild at my arrival. I'm canny tempted to buy that hat again. I dont think I've ever worn a hat since. It was hardly off my head. It would feel like shagging my brothers lass if I wore another one though.

• Paid Members

Seeing as we're talking about potential here, I'd say yes. But having potential and realising it (or being enabled to realise it) are two different things. I don't think anyone would've predicted "Stunning" Steve Austin would've gone on to become one of the Holy Trinity - a main eventer, yes, but I don't think anyone was expecting him to get as big as or bigger than Hogan.

Punk has all the non-wrestling tools to do it - his ability on the mike is astounding, in that he's able to project and say things with import as if it's the most natural thing in the world to him, and he's able to do all this while exuding presence. He's got Michaels' ability to make angles golden, and he's got The Rock's ability to make what he says have impact (although he doesn't have Rock's ability to make a promo look "massive-time" yet, nor Michaels' ability to draw face sympathy in an angle - but give him time).

Wrestling-wise, I think, again, he has it. All the usual stuff - pacing, selling, psychology, structure, it's all there. Not the crispest guy in the world, but no main-eventer of his type has ever needed it.

Archived