Memories of watching wrestling with your parents

Wendell Cooley

• Paid Members

I went to see the WWF in Telford in 1994. My dad told me I wouldnt see anyone off telly and it would probably be no one I'd ever heard of. The main event was Bret Hart, my hero, the World Champion, defending the world title against his evil brother.

Much more importantly, I only ever heard my old man use the F Word twice from the moment I was born to when he popped his clogs. Once was when he slammed his hand in a car door, the other was his reaction to seeing Luna Vachon, which was "what the fuck is that thing?"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I watched WOS with my dad back in the day. During Hogans big WWF run me and my siblings and my cousins were all massive marks, so all our mums played along and 'adopted' a wrestler to cheer and even bought T Shirts for them. I remember my mum got Big Bossman.

My Dad could never fathom that RAW and SD! were different shows when I first started watching.

I'd watch RAW on Friday night then up early for SD! on Saturday, and every single Saturday his response would be ''Didn't you see this last night?'' why we watching the same show again etc. Hilarious.

He never minded me having it on tho which was nice, he'd stick in the usual digs of how obviously fake it was, but I think he didnt mind it really.

Whenever wrestling is bought up with him these days he ALWAYS asks me if Trish Stratus is still in it :laugh:

i have two clear memories of watching wrestling with my Grandad back when WCW was on itv and then later i think channel 5.

one was his common complaint that there was way too much talking...."instead of talking about fighting why dont they just bloody fight."

and the other was about everyone shouting, as was the promo style in the early nineties.

i also remember him hearing Flyin Brian Pillman in the hollywood blondes cut a prop and saying "why has he gotta talk like that, he sounds ridiculous"

obviously at the time neither of us new about Pillmans throat problems.

the only bit of a match that stands out was Vader breaking Stings ribs.

weird how i barley remember any actual wrestling while watching it with gramps.

My Dad hated wrestling and never let me watch it but I remember watching it at my Nannies house (mum's mum) down in Southampton and her getting right into it. That was WCW, think it must have been when they used to have Worldwide on ITV maybe 1992-3ish!?

I remember watching WCW one time and showing my Nan's live in 'friend' Pete pictures that I had drawn of all the wrestlers that had been on that week, must have been around the same time and I would have been 7 or 8. He used to then tell me stories of when he had been a bit younger and wrestling was on TV all the time and he used to go and watch is live at the Royal Spa Centre in Leamington.

Alyways used to tell me about guys like Kendo Nagasaki, Catweasel, Jackie Pallo, Billy Two Rivers, Giant Haystacks etc.

Archived