The shipping forecast

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
How long has it been since BBC1 stopped doing the National Anthem at the end of the night? That used to wake me up when I fell asleep watching the TV.

It's been a good few years, and I think it's mainly because BBC1 no longer "shuts down" at any point. There's no more Pages from Ceefax, it's programming all the way through, even if a couple of hours of it is simulcast of BBC News 24.

How long has it been since BBC1 stopped doing the National Anthem at the end of the night? That used to wake me up when I fell asleep watching the TV.

It was some time in late 1997, when the News 24 service took over at closedown. I believe BBC Radio 4 is the only reaming service to play the anthem and have a proper "close down" but even then, the BBC World Service takes over the frequency until Radio 4 resumes usually around 5am with another shipping forecast.

It's been a good few years, and I think it's mainly because BBC1 no longer "shuts down" at any point. There's no more Pages from Ceefax, it's programming all the way through, even if a couple of hours of it is simulcast of BBC News 24.

As weird as it sounds, I miss the pages from ceefax, channel 4

Archived