Advice and a quick question.

Mr M A Chappell

• Paid Members
I don't understand the part in bold. If I wanted to start my own wrestling promotion I'd get a job, save every penny I could and then blow it all on trying to make it work, I see a lot of these clueless wannabe promoters talking about "sponsorship" and "financial backing" and I'm left wondering why everybody wants to try and do everything the lazy way. If aspiring promoters spent more time working on their product and less time mouthing off on the internet perhaps Britwres wouldn't be in the state it's in.

Maybe they did have financial backers but they pulled out after they realised what a bunch of pecker-heads they were dealing with?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why any reputable company would want to finance an upstart wrestling promotion run by an unprofessional borderline illiterate who has no track record in making profit from promoting wrestling shows. Surely investors or financial backers would want to see some kind of return on their investment, otherwise what's the point?

• Paid Members
I don't see why any reputable company would want to finance an upstart wrestling promotion run by an unprofessional borderline illiterate who has no track record in making profit from promoting wrestling shows. Surely investors or financial backers would want to see some kind of return on their investment, otherwise what's the point?

Someone still invested in 1PW until recently...

1PW's a different story, the fact that they've got DVD's in highstreet retailers like HMV might be enough to convince an uneducated potential backer to come aboard, the fact that those DVD's don't actually sell or that the company is run by, as I understand it, a debt-ridden conman is something that any good investor would eventually find out when they started digging a little deeper into the financial viability of 1PW as a business. My point is that at least 1PW have something resembling a brand and they may be able to swindle some money out of that much, but why would anyone go in to business with an unknown quantity who hasn't promoted a single show?

It seems to me as though a lot of aspiring promoters these days have absolutely no idea how things work in the real world, I don't want to tar all promoters with the same brush but it seems that the vast majority put no effort into the the way they present their product (shitty MS Paint posters, unnavigable websites filled with grammatical and spelling errors, uninspired promotion and event names), they mistake "existing with "success", they're unprofessional, they have no business sense and then they come on here gobbing off and alienating whatever potential audience they might have had.

• Paid Members
1PW's a different story, the fact that they've got DVD's in highstreet retailers like HMV might be enough to convince an uneducated potential backer to come aboard, the fact that those DVD's don't actually sell or that the company is run by, as I understand it, a debt-ridden conman is something that any good investor would eventually find out when they started digging a little deeper into the financial viability of 1PW as a business. My point is that at least 1PW have something resembling a brand and they may be able to swindle some money out of that much, but why would anyone go in to business with an unknown quantity who hasn't promoted a single show?

It seems to me as though a lot of aspiring promoters these days have absolutely no idea how things work in the real world, I don't want to tar all promoters with the same brush but it seems that the vast majority put no effort into the the way they present their product (shitty MS Paint posters, unnavigable websites filled with grammatical and spelling errors, uninspired promotion and event names), they mistake "existing with "success", they're unprofessional, they have no business sense and then they come on here gobbing off and alienating whatever potential audience they might have had.

Completely fair points.

Well it looks like their page on Facebook has been removed. I did see before it's removal that they were naturally blaming anyone but themselves and in the end attributed their failure to being "screwed over by 2-3 companies". I found out that once Mark Anthony was named as trainer that IWF didn't know anything about it and banned him from training people or he'd be kicked out. Also that IWF heavily encouraged their roster to pull out of the show once they were aware of PFE. I can only assume the other companies they blame are NEWS for some reason.

Personally I really want to see a Rogue Traders style TV show following Iceman exposing the shitarses of the UK! Let's make it happen!

I emailed them this morning to reiterate I wasnt involved in anything underhand and had been up front about everything. I was told IWF had told their wrestlers to choose between the companies so they have acknowledged to me that they arent accusing me, hopefully they will reiterate this. I havent said I wanted the show cancelled, I simply wanted any trainees to be trained by a reputable trainer. Hopefully my advice over the last few days has been taken notice of more than it was previously, I get the impression it was.

I also had the same thought about an Iceman hosted show like that bald Dom fella who goes round kicking off with companies. :laugh:

I very much approve of UK wrestlers finally taking steps to self-regulate the scene. If an aspiring promoter attempts to coerce a young wrestler into becoming a trainer I think it's important to nip it in the bud straight away, as we've seen happen in this case, and force these shitty outfits out of the game. New promoters who try to do things properly should be nurtured and encouraged, new promoters who try to cut corners and fuck around should be cut out like the cancer they are.

I agree, when I set up Mike at 3CW was very quick to offer me advice and ensure I was doing business in the right way, when he realised I was he seemed relieved and has continued to give advice whenever needed. I tried in turn to do the same on this occasion, especially as I was worried some important corners were being cut. If the Pinfall lads are doing things right they can count on me for advice, if thats worth something to them then hopefully I can help them

Archived