Zakk Ryder and the 'new' title

Phoenix

Ryder defending his top championship is no more than Umaga putting on Randy Orton's trunks or Justin Roberts introducing Evan Bourne as the guy who had a $2000 dollar bar tab, it's just a little fun on the house show scene, over analysis much?

• Paid Members

Funny thing is that, if there is any company with the exposure, the logistics, the production values and the fanbase to pull off an Internet title, it's WWE. Those indy promotions who had "Internet" titles just came across as trying to think outside the box, but failing miserably - mainly because it was clear they were trying for an alternative to a "TV" title (which they couldn't realistically have), but didn't seem to realise what having such a title entailed.

I think there's a whole load of potential in giving Ryder an actual Internet title, proper belt and all, given that even WWE's Internet fanbase is bigger than any other promotion's (with, perhaps the exception of TNA, and even then I'm doubtful).

• Paid Members
I'm not sure if WWE have done anything like this before, but I've got a vague recollection of the Headbangers having toy belts in 1998 or 1999.

Is that when they were the NWA tag team champions on WWF TV?

Nah, although that's probably the level the NWA belts were at in 1998. I think it was later in the year, it may have been after they turned heel.

I remember that too. I think they were trying to set up a feud with the Outlaws (who were actually Champions) but it never really went anywhere.

In fact, I think they even LOST the toy belts to the Oddities at one point.

• Paid Members
Didn't Jeff Hardy wear a toy belt for a while?

If you're talking about his custom TNA belt, I honestly don't know why people slag it off - I thought it looked pretty swish, and it fit his character to a tee.

If you're talking about his custom TNA belt, I honestly don't know why people slag it off - I thought it looked pretty swish, and it fit his character to a tee.

haha, no i wasn't talking about that. I seem to have a memory of him wearing a toy belt around the time he faced Taker in a ladder match. I'll see if i can find a picture.

haha, no i wasn't talking about that. I seem to have a memory of him wearing a toy belt around the time he faced Taker in a ladder match. I'll see if i can find a picture.

that rings a bell actually, didn't he forget / lose the belt and needed one for TV or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

The only similar instance I can think of, is when James Storm had a 'Beer championship' belt - I believe it was a toy spinner belt with a beer bottle stuck on the front. He lost that too, to Eric Young.

Ryder defending his top championship is no more than Umaga putting on Randy Orton's trunks or Justin Roberts introducing Evan Bourne as the guy who had a $2000 dollar bar tab, it's just a little fun on the house show scene, over analysis much?

At Axxess at Wrestlemania weekend Justin Roberts announced Daniel Bryan as "former internet sensation Bryan Danielson, now known as Daniel Bryan", which cracked a massive grin on Daniel Bryan's face.

If they want a title for Superstars (and I'm not saying this title suggests that they do), then they should just put the Tag Team Championship on there full-time. It's not as if the champs are defending it on RAW, after all.

Archived