demolition appreciation thread

nicholasjackson

was gonna do this last night after watching survivor series 90 (people slag it off but i still love watching it, one of my 1st pviews i ever watched), decided to definetly do it after ian's bulldog thread, i was watching the warriors vs the perfect team, 6 months earlier perfects team wouldve been one of the best ever but watching this event just showed how quickly demolition were killed off from summerslam 90/lod arrival, watch the entrance and you cant blame him as its his last night but ax just doesnt give a fuck, people say it died when crush joined but i thought demolition were red hot after turning heel on hart foundation they were having good matches with harts/rockers, i could understand vince splitting Powers of Pain up as they looked more like road warriors than demolition due to warlord/barbarian physique

came in as ax and smash but randy culley plaing smash for a couple of weeks before barry darsow came in, they had a look totally different from anything in wwf, johnny v as manager for a couple of months before "the devious one" took over from there they had good matches with the rougeaus, islanders (before both turned heel) they were in the first 20 man tag team match at 1st annual survivor series

won tag titles at wrestlemania 4 against strike force, had summer series with newly turned hart foundation and british bulldogs, autumn series with new signings powers of pain didnt produce the best matches but big man matches sold well in 1988 wwf, had 6 man house show series teaming with fuji against strike force/warrior and bulldogs/warrior, beat hart foundation at summerslam 88 with help of one night only manager jimmy hart, were captains of heel team in the awesome 20 man tag at survivor series 1988 which they played part in the heel/face switch that the live crowd just didnt get

started the royal rumble as 1 and 2 and had good brawl until andre entered at number 3, held back challenges of power of pain over spring until mania 5 when they beat fuji/PoP in handicap match, summer series with twin towers carried on over the summer, had 2 SNME matches with arn and tully which finished with new tag team champions for 1st time in 15months,back to fued with twin towers into summerslam with duggan and andre joining the team for 6 man action, teamed with hogan and jake to face dibiase, zues and old foes PoP, went back after tag titles and regained them for a 6 week reign before heenan family regained belts with andre and haku

had house show series chasing tag titles for a 3rd time, also beat PoP in one of warlord/barbarians last tag matches as a team, got given title shot at wrestlemania 6 and defeated andre/haku for tag titles to 3-peat(gorilla monsoon) it was a rare highlightm of a poor show hogan/warrior apart, went to japan defended tag titles, turned up in middle of rockers/hart match on SNME april show, while planting seeds for heel turn, hart foundation asked for title shot and demolition responded by bringing in crush, turned heel on the brother love show while being asked for title match by bret/jim, had match against rockers on july's SNME and used the freebird rule but after all 3 members joined in things were evened up by bret/jim/animal/hawk, summerslam 90 they used smash and crush to start the match in a 2 out of 3 falls defence against the harts, at 1 - 1 ax came down and hid under the ring then did the swap with smash, lod came down and in the melee crush was pinned

the death of demolition started apparently at the request of hawk and animal,smash said in shoot that demolition were getting bigger cheers in house show series, demoiltion started to get beaten on house shows and tv by warrior and lod in 6 man series, ax told vince he was leaving so an angle was done where fuji who had took demolition back got them and orient express to destroy lod, plastic president jack tunney suspended them and reduced to 2 members, ax left leaving smash and cruch, that angle was on tv after survivor series 90 where ax got bombed out by the warrior in about 3 mins while smash and crush got dq'd with lod, they were in 14 man battle royal for tag title shot and were eliminated 1st, mania 7 they were beaten by Genichiro Tenryu & Koji Kitao in around 4 minutes, from there they both men wrestled singe matches before repo man was born and crush took 6 months off before resurfacing as kona crush

they were probably most dominant tag team in wwf history and held tag title 3 times when it meant something, the tag team division between 87-90 was brilliant and became a poorer division when demolition was killed in winter of 90, they had good matches with brain busters/harts/bulldogs/strilke force/rougeaus/PoP/rockers/twin towers

amyone else feeling the love for demolition and now theyve signed a legends deal with vince will we finally get a dvd? especially as there both alive and enough people they could interview, arn,tully,fuji,bret,jim,hbk etc

couldnt add the pictures im a poor mans ian, add your own if you want

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Demolition when I was a kid. The look, the music, the feuds...

Since I got back into wrestling though, I can't say I enjoy any of their matches. Far too much stomping, hammers, and ax-handles (the most disappointing move in wrestling history?). I know they could do more because I actually liked Repoman and Doink (maybe I only liked Repoman because he had a leg submission finisher though because his gimmick fucking stunk)

As an adult I don't really go for the gimp look either.

I really enjoyed their feud with Powers of Pain though but Mr Fuji owned it...?

I still like Demolition though, especially when I think of them as a three-man unit. (crush - I hated him too, power wrestlers, urgh - but yeah, proper little gang).

Ax looks like he's changed his facepaint design so you didn't recognise him, Rich!

his face looks like his entrance at survivor series 90, that"my wwf career will be over in 5 minutes " look

favorite match for me is summerslam 90 as i was big fan of the harts as well

I loved Demolition I'm probably gonna get it in the neck for this but I prefered them to LOD/The Road Warrior's who I have always believed to be a little overrated but the fact that I got into wrestling through the WWF in 1990 is probably a big part of the reason for that.

I loved Demolition I'm probably gonna get it in the neck for this but I prefered them to LOD/The Road Warrior's who I have always believed to be a little overrated but the fact that I got into wrestling through the WWF in 1990 is probably a big part of the reason for that.

Nowt wrong with that mate. Although they (and the Powers of Pain) were supposedly

Nowt wrong with that mate. Although they (and the Powers of Pain) were supposedly

Archived