A suggestion of a good Wrestling book to read?

Stealingsilver

I have almost finished Bret Hart's Biography, 'Hitman'. I watched a bit during my childhood, probably about 92-94, so I remember him. In the last 6 months I have got back into wrestling.

I enjoyed how it has been as truthful as he wanted it to be and has received no influence from WWE to edit it. I also liked the tales of him on the indy scene. However towards the end of his career he does sound very up himself and it drags on. Then he puts the Montreal screwjob and his time in WCW (what I was looking forward to the most)into a handful of pages.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jericho's two books are on the same level as Bret's. Try and stay away from Foley's recent one. It's not terrible but it isn't brilliant, I found it frustrating when he went on about concussions for about 20 pages. And also you don't know what to think of Foley, he seems to make out he enjoyed his time in TNA and the past few weeks has been a little bitch about them.

• Paid Members

Smarten up, Say it right

Brian Blair's "Smarten up, Say it right" is a great book that teaches you how all of the terminology is really used amongst those in the business, not in the way that Lou Albano and Bert Sugar's "Idiots guide to pro wrestling" does though, thankfully. I've never considered myself an "insider" or anything like that, but I think that I have had a deep understanding of the business from all aspects for about 13 years now, but reading this book made me realise that I wasn't as "clued up" as I thought. Of course, though, it was written ten years ago, a little while after the watershed moment of Vince's "coming out" speech on Raw, so even though it has lost a little of it's novelty factor now that everything is really out in the open and everyone knows how the tricks are done, there is still a lot of good content in there which make this a fun and interesting read. Especially if you can manage to get a copy that still has the original audio cassette tape that they were released with, which was essentially a tutorial on how to speak Carney and has some examples of wrestlers using it amongst eachother. It goes into detail about things which aren't so obvious and doesn't spend much time, if any, on obvious terms such as "Mark" "over" etc, and origins of much of these terms are discussed.

Thanks to Lister for recommending the book to me, which is a good few years ago now.

Speaking of Mr. Lister, I couldn't mention him in a thread regarding wrestling books, without mentioning his account of ECW from start to finish in "Turning the Tables", it's a brilliant read and is right up there with anything I've read in the wrestling genre. I haven't read Slamthology yet, but from what I've heard it's also very very good.

Thanks guys,

Taylorslade, those books look good but are expensive to get hold of.

I think I will wither go with Mick Foley's first book but at 700 odd pages is very long or go for Shawn Michaels book as it goes through the attitude era and gives wwe's side of the montreal screwjob.

• Paid Members
Thanks guys,

Taylorslade, those books look good but are expensive to get hold of.

Well, if you go on the author's profile on here, JNLister, then I think he has links in his sig to where you can buy them and they might be for a decent price, or John himself might have one to sell you.

• Paid Members

I'm about 3/4's of the way through Gary Hart's book and its been a great read.

If you are interested in the territory days get this book as Gary worked and booked all over and gives a really interesting insight into the period.

Archived