A suggestion of a good Wrestling book to read?

Stealingsilver

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Absolute musts would be the first Foley one, the Bret Hart one and the first Jericho one, with the second Foley and Jericho volumes closely behind.

After that, in various categories:

Of WWE releases, Blassie, Lawler and Regal are best simply for having a wider range of experiences in them. The Hardys is surprisingly open and the Lita one is very underrated in terms of having interesting stories. The Bischoff one isn't necessarily worth buying, but I'd say worth a read -- even though he's full of it a lot of the time, you do get to see the elements in which he is very smart.

Of non-WWE bios and autobiographies in mainstream print, Stu Hart by Marsha Erb is among the best, Dynamite Kid is very good if possible overrated in hindsight (it came out at a time when such open books were very rare), and the two books by Heenan are both as funny/uplifting as you'd imagine.

In terms of promotions/areas, Death of WCW, The Wrestling (by Simon Garfield, about the UK) and Pain and Passion (by Heath McCoy about Stampede) are well worth a look.

Of books that aren't in mainstream print and have to be ordered directly, the Gary Hart one is great, and the original version of Lou Thesz's Hooker was a must read, so I'd imagine the newly revised/enhanced version is worth it. Beyond these two, JJ Dillon's is the best other one I've read, particularly if you want to know about the booking/production process of the late 80s WWF. Mike Quackenbush's Headquarters is also interesting from the perspective of being a very low level indy guy, and has a superb ending.

Of books that were never widely available (as in, they were printed and then sold only in person at conventions and the like), two that are worth picking up if you ever spot them are Hey Boy, Howd'ya Like Them Ears by Paul Boesch (which is part autobiography, part history of the business) and When Rasslin Was Real by Butcher Vachon (which is the most amazing story of literally wrestling your way around the world.)

• Paid Members
Butcher Vachon's books are available to buy on his site if you are interested.

Oh bloody hell, there goes some more cash.

They are $24 each, and it appears shipping is free to the UK. But it looks like you have to use credit card rather than a non-US PayPal account.

• Paid Members

On the subject of books, Stan Hansen's autobiography "The Last Outlaw" will be available to buy starting on August 8th from Crowbar Press.

He released an autobiography in Japan but it seems this will be a completely new book.

On the subject of books, Stan Hansen's autobiography "The Last Outlaw" will be available to buy starting on August 8th from Crowbar Press.

He released an autobiography in Japan but it seems this will be a completely new book.

This makes me happy - bloody love Stan Hansen.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I ended up reading:

HBK's autobiography. Really awful. No emotion, nothing on his partying exploits. No real emotion. It felt as though I was reading a Wikipedia article on him.

Mick Foley's first autobiography. Really easy read even if it is over 700 pages long. Really amusing too.

I would now like to start reading an MMA/UFC book. Maybe the History of the sport or a good auto biography. Any suggestions?

• Paid Members
Mick Foley's first autobiography. Really easy read even if it is over 700 pages long. Really amusing too.

I would now like to start reading an MMA/UFC book. Maybe the History of the sport or a good auto biography. Any suggestions?

If you like Foley's first book I'd recommend Jericho's first like others have said. It was so enjoyable and easy to read I flew through it in a few days (which is very quick for me). The second was good aswell although I found the Fozzy stuff a bit boring. The stuff on his interactions with Vince, Triple H and the Benoit death made for interesting reading.

MMA books, the top 4 I'd recommend would be

Randy Couture: Becoming the Natural

BJ Penn: Why I Fight

Jens Pulver: Little Evil

A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan (Got this recently, can't recommend it enough)

Can't go wrong with them. All really interesting and give a good insight into the early days and modern MMA. The good thing with these aswell is none of them are arse kissing the UFC bosses (Couture and Pulver weren't in the UFC at the time and BJ just didn't give a fuck) so they don't hold back.

Aside from them Chuck Liddell's book is decent, not great but enjoyable enough. I wasn't keen on Tito Ortiz's book, thought it came off too whiny but that's personal taste. Matt Hughes' book is good aswell, he's a grumpy fucker and he has a pop at pretty much everyone.

If you're after something more humourous then Forrest Griffin's first book 'Got Fight?' is a great read. Didn't think much of his second book though, bit of a cash in job and it's not really an MMA book.

Archived