Can I be sued for trying to cancel something?

KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

I didn't think a deposit was any kind of legal bond? I think he's just being a snarky twat.

EDIT - From the Guardian

Q I recently placed an order for a cake decoration stand with a local soletrader cakeshop. I was told there was a deposit of

I thought the whole point of a deposit in this type of case is that if for whatever reason you didn't want or couldn't make the payment then the shop would keep the deposit, so that they wouldnt be too much out of pocket, should something go wrong rather than a guarantee that you would definitely buy the item.

More like an insurance indemnity than a down payment on it. Even though the rings are made to measure as it were, Im sure that they will have resale value as well. So something is a miss or at least that's how it comes across.

Hope it gets sorted

Unless you actually entered and signed an agreement then I don't believe so. Effectively you've lost the deposit and are free not to pay the remainder. If they didn't get you to sign anything, then it's tough cheese to them.

However I suggest you give the Citizens Advise Bureau a call. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hah! Just noticed this :p

My fiance was really upset about this, but Im pretty sure the guy is just talking shit and trying to get the money out of us. Our reciept does not say anything about having paid any kind of deposit on the ladies ring, and Im so annoyed that he spoke to my fiance in such a way, I just want to take my business elsewhere.

But YOU ARE taking your business elsewhere. Arn't you?

Question, why did you go shopping for wedding rings and hit upon what you wanted, set up the purchase of it, then at some point go shopping for wedding rings again? Is that a typical move?

The females ring was to be shaped to fit around her engagement ring. We agreed that he would make a band so we could see what it would like before we confirmed that was what we wanted, and as we didnt have a definate price we were not putting down a deposit on something we dont have a definate price for.

Our receipt does not state anything about putting any money down on my fiance's ring, only

Seems like the jeweller is pissed off because he's losing out on a large sum of money. The fact you've paid a deposit gives you the right to change your mind whenever you feel like it. For example when you reserve a playstation from HMV or something, you pay a deposit to "secure" that product, but at any time you can bugger off elsewhere and get a cheap deal.

If you've not signed anything that says "pay this or i'm taking you to court." Then tell him to keep the deposit and shove the rings up his arse.

I think it depends on if they have actually started to create the ring. This will of course include materials and time and therefore could have an argument you should pay something.

If the product is incomplete or unmade then the jewler should keep the deposit and leave it at that.

Also you have not signed any contract or to agree to any terms meaning again there is nothing to back this up

Finally an argument even if you had was that he could resell the ring at full value and keep your deposit

Just call him a cunt and set fire to his shop.

If you're going to set fire to his shop, don't call him a cunt first. The police sometimes pick up on things like that.

• Paid Members
Just call him a cunt and set fire to his shop.

If you're going to set fire to his shop, don't call him a cunt first. The police sometimes pick up on things like that.

Dean's an amateur, Kenny. You call the jeweller, tell him you were wrong and that you'll be in tomorrow to pay for the rings in full with cash... Then set fire to his shop.

Archived