Pimp Me Some Speakers

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I'll jump in on this too, if you don't mind. I'm looking at a decent home cinema system and like you, don't want to spend a massive amount.

Ideally, I want a Blu-Ray home cinema system, so I don't have to worry about buying a Blu-Ray player separately.

• Paid Members

I think the massive ALBA logo would've been a giveaway mate. In some industries and markets, big brands don't justify their high costs and cheaper alternatives are adequate. However home entertainment electronics really doesn't apply. When it comes to buying a high street brand, it really has to be Sony, Pana, Philips or Samsung. Tosh, JVC & to a degree LG are ok, but budget brands will most likely give you shit quality.

• Paid Members

Convert the MKV to M2TS files and then the XOBOX should play them.

I'd try places other than argos too, Richer Sounds have a Yamaha system which is good for the price http://www.richersounds.com/product/speake...yama-nsp285-blk

They have a budget Tannoy speaker set which gets great reviews http://www.richersounds.com/product/speake...tann-sfx5.1-blk

The cheap crap from argos will sound like cheap crap, you get what you pay for!

Well further developments have allowed me to save some money, but I'm encountering a technical problem.

Years ago my Dad gave me his old hi-fi system. It's big but you can remove sections from it (Cd player, turntable, cassette player etc. Yes it's that old), and the speakers are really good. I've not used it in years, but I've now found a use for it. I've managed to unattach(sp?) the processor section and connected the line in to the headphone jack on the TV (which was causing feedback. I overcame this by connecting the line out to the AV connectors on the TV).

Now here's the problem. The processor has two speaker sections, A & B. This is so you can connect 2 pairs of speakers up. I only have 1 pair, but that's irrelevant. Both A & B have left and right speaker sockets, but I can't get any sound to come out of the right speaker. The only way I can get sound is if I hook one up to A-Left and the other to B-Left, which means I'm not getting stereo sound.

I probably haven't explained it very well, but if anyone can suggest a remedy it would be welcome.

• Moderators
Well further developments have allowed me to save some money, but I'm encountering a technical problem.

Years ago my Dad gave me his old hi-fi system. It's big but you can remove sections from it (Cd player, turntable, cassette player etc. Yes it's that old), and the speakers are really good. I've not used it in years, but I've now found a use for it. I've managed to unattach(sp?) the processor section and connected the line in to the headphone jack on the TV (which was causing feedback. I overcame this by connecting the line out to the AV connectors on the TV).

Now here's the problem. The processor has two speaker sections, A & B. This is so you can connect 2 pairs of speakers up. I only have 1 pair, but that's irrelevant. Both A & B have left and right speaker sockets, but I can't get any sound to come out of the right speaker. The only way I can get sound is if I hook one up to A-Left and the other to B-Left, which means I'm not getting stereo sound.

I probably haven't explained it very well, but if anyone can suggest a remedy it would be welcome.

It just happens with amps, and it seems to always be the right channel. The upside is that it may not be totally dead.. for example, my right channel cuts out if the stereo is at too low a volume. Also, flicking between different inputs rapidly can coax the right channel into action sometimes also (i.e, like flicking between the CD and Aux or Line In or whatever).

Also, I've found it works better if I never ever turn the amp off.

I used to have a stereo to audio cable, and hooked up my old mp3 player though the AUX channel no problem. I've lost that cable and have a splitter as an alternative. I'm thinking it's this splitter that's the problem (although it shouldn't be). End of the day, if I can't get it to work in stereo it still sounds better than what's coming of the TV, and it hasn't cost me anything, so I shouldn't complain really.

My only other alternative is to buy some top notch PC speakers and just plug them directly into the headphones port on the TV.

Archived