The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Paid Members
I can't believe Reading are down there, they've got quality in every position, except perhaps the front line, which is unproven. If I could take any player in the division, it'd be Jobi McAnuff.

This got me thinking, is there some kind of statistic out there for teams that have been beaten in Championship play-off finals that have gone on to have a terrible spell afterwards? I can think of Leeds, Bristol City and Sheffield United off the top of my head. But then other teams like West Ham came back and won it the next year, and Norwich were promoted two years after their own playoff dissapointment. Also, teams that tend to finish just outside the playoff spots rather than actually making the top six seem to push on the next season. I can imagine as a group of players it must be an epic dissapointment coming so close, just missing out on the Premiership and subsequently dreading having to come back for another season of potential heartbreak.

Speaking from experience as an Ipswich fan, when I was going regularly in the late 90's, we reached the play offs 4 years in a row, admittedly only the semis until our Wembley success in 2000. It was hearbreaking every year to get so close, and the fact that the core of that team was maintained and improved year on year is a great testament to what Burley was doing with Ipswich, culminating in the Manager of the Year award in 2001. Not to mention 2 out of those 4 years, we could have got auto promotion on the last day of the season.

It was of course all worth it in the end, the 2000 play off semi second leg against Bolton remains one of the greatest moments of my life. The game that had everything (missed and scored penalties, hat trick, red card, loads of great goals, dramatic last minute equaliser, pitch invasion.) When the final whistle went and Que Cera Cera came on over the tannoy as we flooded on to the pitch, it was like 4 years of solid graft was finally paying off, not just for the players, but the fans too. Bear in mind this was the last year that we would get to play at Wembley after trying for 4 years solid. All I wanted was to go to Wembley, I didn't care too much if we won. It was a beautiful, wonderful moment that will stay with me forever. The wembley final was like some wierd surreal dream where you finally get everything you want and don't believe it was actually happening, (I can only describe Ruesers winner at Wembley as an out of body experience, it really did feel like a dream) but that semi final felt so real that it will always be one of the best nights of my life.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bit of research. Only since 1992/93 when Sky invented football:

1992/93: Leicester (Following 4th won playoffs)

1993/94: Derby (Following 9th, 2nd)

1994/95: Reading (Following 19th, 17th, 18th)

1995/96: Crystal Palace (Following 6th won playoffs)

1996/97: Sheffield United (Following 7th, 8th, 16th)

1997/98: Sunderland (Following 1st)

1998/99: Bolton (Following 6th, 3rd won playoffs)

1999/00: Barnsley (Following 16th, 23rd)

2000/01: Preston (Following 8th, 12th, 15th)

2001/02: Norwich (Following 8th, 1st)

2002/03: Sheffield United (Following 8th, 8th, 2nd)

2003/04: West Ham (Following 6th won playoffs)

2004/05: Preston (Following 4th, 7th, 15th)

2005/06: Leeds (Following 24th)

2006/07: WBA (Following 1st)

2007/08: Bristol City (Following 10th, 10th, 15th)

2008/09: Sheffield United (Following 8th, 23rd)

2009/10: Cardiff (Following 4th)

Leeds are the only club to be relegated the season after a play-off final defeat. Sheff United and Barnsley have been relegated within 2 seasons. Reading after 1994/95 is the other massive decline, though they did stay up.

Sunderland and WBA have won the title the season after a play-off final defeat.

Leicester, Palace and West Ham have won the play-offs a season after a play-off final defeat.

Norwich and Bolton have won promotion 2 seasons after a play-off final defeat, Sheff United did it in 3.

2001, 2002 and 2003 the team who lost the play-off final finished 8th the following season.

We threw a lot of money at the squad in that 1999/2000 season. We had Craig Hignett, Neil Shipperly, Bruce Dyer, Darren Barnard, Steve Chettle, John Curtis, Geoff Thomas, Georgi Hristov (!) amongst others. We got relegated from the Prem in 1998, and that was the end of that squad.

By 2001/2, our money rang out, ITV Digital went tits up and we just avoided administration. We had no money, a long run of spastic managers like Steve Parkin and Glynn Hodges as caretaker. We signed clowns from Rochdale and Grimbsy like Paul Gibbs and Kevin Donovan and I got seriously depressed.

BUT, we bounced back up almost immediately and have found our level - treading water between 16th and 20th in the Championship.

Interesting fact, Barnsley are the club that have spent the most years in the second tier of English Football. Now, that's really blown your mind.

• Paid Members
We threw a lot of money at the squad in that 1999/2000 season. We had Craig Hignett, Neil Shipperly, Bruce Dyer, Darren Barnard, Steve Chettle, John Curtis, Geoff Thomas, Georgi Hristov (!) amongst others. We got relegated from the Prem in 1998, and that was the end of that squad.

By 2001/2, our money rang out, ITV Digital went tits up and we just avoided administration. We had no money, a long run of spastic managers like Steve Parkin and Glynn Hodges as caretaker. We signed clowns from Rochdale and Grimbsy like Paul Gibbs and Kevin Donovan and I got seriously depressed.

BUT, we bounced back up almost immediately and have found our level - treading water between 16th and 20th in the Championship.

Interesting fact, Barnsley are the club that have spent the most years in the second tier of English Football. Now, that's really blown your mind.

Did you go to the Wembley Play off final in 2000 then? I've always had a soft spot for Barnsley since then as I recall the fans gave us a standing ovation at the end. That could be my rose tinted glasses tricking me though to be fair.

I did.

When Martin Reuser broke through late on, I wanted God to strike him down from above somehow.

Our fans were pretty good back then, we were quite philosophical. Now you would have probably been called sheepshaggers or something. Our crowds have changed massively in ten years. I can still see Richard Wright making THAT save too.

I'm depressed now.

• Paid Members
Speaking from experience as an Ipswich fan

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I didn't know we had an Ipswich fan knocking about on the UKFF. I feel like I've missed out on lots of good natured banter in the time I've been here. Once upon a time we could've turned this thread into a bit of an Old Farm love in.

That was an epic play-off final in fairness to you, but perhaps even more stagering was how well you finished in the Premiership next season. Amazing. I say that not as an extremely jealous Norwich fan, but out of praise and respect that a promoted side finished where they did, it's a brilliant achievement. We get reminded about it a fair bit and rightly so. And your cup wins :(

The teams that do worse the year after the playoffs are the ones who spent too much to get there. Blackwell watched in horror as his side was deconstructed after missing out in the playoff final. Derby were fifth, went to the playoff semis in, I think, 2003/04 and then sold their best players, finishing the following season fifth from bottom. Burley walked out, Phil Brown picked up all the subsequent blame IIRC.

We had pretty much the same experience for a play off semis, lost on penalties 4-3 to Derby in 2007, and went bust two years later

On the positive side, massive game tonight at St Marys, can really make some strides if we win tonight, but Peterbrough are a free scoring side, last season in League 1 the game finished 4-4!

Archived