no more WWE Smackdown Vs Raw series

xear

They should be focussing on merging RTWM and Universe mode for next years edition. More voiced cut scenes much like in RTWM, but with the 'career' mode style never ending play of Universe.

Yes, and I'm sure when the game has unlimited development time, an infinite budget, and can be distributed on a three-million disc set, it will be. I imagine the fuckers would still release it broken and then never properly patch it, mind. But as it stands, expecting them to somehow create a never-ending season mode with unique voiceovers (and an eternal stream of new branching storylines) for every character is fucking stupid.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure if you took out RTWM completely, you'd have plenty of disk space and budget to incorporate the elements of RWTM into Universe mode. Maybe not for next years edition but for sometime down the road.

Going back to Smackdown 2 they had specific cut scenes mimicking real life moments. I'm sure they could do this in the future, with voice overs instead of text. In fact even text would be better than nothing, as the cut scenes are very action orientated. Without proper promos, interviews etc etc it still doesn't really replicate real TV programs which it is trying to do. Even if they had the first year of the Universe with these specific cut scenes, voiceovers matching real life moments, or even custom scenes and then from the Wrestlemania onwards it could be less focused on this.

Its not fucking stupid I actually think its entirely possible down the line. Even if its a few years down the line if they're truly wanting Universe to be the real hub of the game.

• Paid Members
I'm sure if you took out RTWM completely, you'd have plenty of disk space and budget to incorporate the elements of RWTM into Universe mode. Maybe not for next years edition but for sometime down the road.

Going back to Smackdown 2 they had specific cut scenes mimicking real life moments. I'm sure they could do this in the future, with voice overs instead of text. In fact even text would be better than nothing, as the cut scenes are very action orientated. Without proper promos, interviews etc etc it still doesn't really replicate real TV programs which it is trying to do. Even if they had the first year of the Universe with these specific cut scenes, voiceovers matching real life moments, or even custom scenes and then from the Wrestlemania onwards it could be less focused on this.

Its not fucking stupid I actually think its entirely possible down the line. Even if its a few years down the line if they're truly wanting Universe to be the real hub of the game.

Keep dreamin'. The world needs thinkers like you.

Going back to Smackdown 2 they had specific cut scenes mimicking real life moments. I'm sure they could do this in the future, with voice overs instead of text.

Yes, they could produce scenes mimicking real life moments. But not for everyone in the game, perpetually.

But not for everyone in the game, perpetually.

I thought that first part would be a given, if you're mimicking real life moments and/or angles then you're only going to need voice overs for certain characters. And I didn't say perpetually, I said up to the first Wrestlemania. Which going by this years is only the first 3/4 months. So you could add RTWM into the Universe mode UP TO that point, afterwards its business as usual but with promo cut scenes, interview cut scenes with text if voice overs a little too far fetched. Much like story creation cut scenes.

"Brand-new WWE Universe mode! Create your own shows! But not for the first three months, because some cunt has decided that those first three months are full of pre-scripted feuds and storylines, and if you messed about with the cards or rosters, those pre-scripted sequences couldn't work. Basically we've watered down Road To WrestleMania and WWE Universe mode into a singular mess for no reason!"

Not ALL matches would be pre-booked, rather than go through a story missing out all the other matches on a card, it could be integrated into it. So one match on the card is based on the ongoing story but the rest of the card is free to customize. You can go through a month worth of playing the game, editing every match and not getting a single cut scene. So it could be a good mix of the two. You think its retarded, you've made that clear. I still think its an idea that could be done, with obvious fine tuning and better explanation. Its 'fantasy booking' essentially but still...

Not ALL matches would be pre-booked, rather than go through a story missing out all the other matches on a card, it could be integrated into it. So one match on the card is based on the ongoing story but the rest of the card is free to customize.

Think about what you're saying for a second. What's the fucking purpose of it? You're just forcing a Road To WrestleMania mode on people playing WWE Universe. It doesn't improve the concept of what WWE Universe is meant to be, it actually detracts from it by preventing customisation. It doesn't improve what Road To WrestleMania is meant to be -- indeed, your latest addendum limits it to a single two-month mode with only one character/story, as every other spot on the cards is customisable. So what's the actual point of your idea? What do you actually get from it that you can't get from the separate modes as they are now?

Nothing really, I suppose but in my head at least its better than what RTWM currently is. Plus I do think it improved Universe at least with my idea of adding promo/interview type cut scenes on an action filled Universe. If its trying to replicate TV its not doing it properly. My first thought was mixing RTWM and Universe together, taking the best parts of both and making the entire game different/better however you see it as. I'm not suggesting forcing either on each other because in my idea there IS no RTWM, just the elements of it that are good implemented onto Universe mode. I'm never the best at explaining things through forums or even text. Its just ideas floating in my head, its in no way thought out precisely or even planned thoughts.

If its trying to replicate TV its not doing it properly.

Nor can it. They can up the amount of attack scenes and whatnot, but they can't ever replicate it to any great degree. You can't have a wrestling sandbox mode where the user creates their own shows and rosters and have intricate, preset, character-specific storylines with voice work in that same user's-folly setup. One cancels out the other.

If you read my previous posts I agreed that voice specific cut scenes could be too far fetched, but in text form like create a story, surely it could be possible. Universe mode has the promise to be so much more than it currently is that I don't think its a total write off that none of this is remotely possible. I'm not a developer, nor a designer or anyone who'd know any better but surely it could be possible.

If you read my previous posts I agreed that voice specific cut scenes could be too far fetched, but in text form like create a story, surely it could be possible.

Yes, it is possible to create your own customised storylines with text dialogue, in the Story Designer mode. Or to play through elaborate storylines with preset dialogue, in the Road To WrestleMania mode. In WWE Universe mode, you're limited because the whole point of it is flexibility (and it doesn't really do that right yet) and setting up the rosters and shows how you want them and play through years of them. But there's no way that any WWE game developer is going to have the time or resources on a yearly title to create enough character-specific content to sustain months/years of story mode content for a roster of 60+ -- and furthermore (and this is the reason the idea has been fucking stupid from the off), it wouldn't make any sense for them to even try to do that for a mode where the user will just change the fucking rosters and cards around anyway.

Say they funnel X amount of development time into scripting a three-month Kofi Kingston vs Evan Bourne feud... It's no good if the user changes the match on the first or second week of the feud and aborts it. It doesn't make any sense, it's development time wasted. And then they've done the same thing for thirty other Kofi Kingston feuds, thirty other Evan Bourne feuds, thirty John Cena feuds, etc etc. They've spent four years of development time just giving everyone on the game thirty unique feuds. The game's coming out and all they've managed to do is script fixed storylines for what's meant to be a fucking sandbox-booker mode. They haven't even built character models or menu screens. Or the ring. So they couldn't even code those storylines in the end. They're just ideas on computers at THQ. Never even got sent to Yukes, because they only just finished writing the storylines for Heath Slater the day before the deadline.

Everyone putting that literally-unplayable disc in their X-Box on Christmas morning loses faith in both God and humanity, and joins the Facebook group formed to track down the "bastarding mongoloid" (their words, not mine) who came up with the nonsensical idea in the first place. And they do indeed find you. And then they break your jaw, limbs and spine and sodomise your mouth for months on end, before tossing you in a skip and crushing/suffocating you underneath the thousands upon thousands of boxed copies of the useless "game." The final noises you make are mistaken for dying screams, but they are really the sound of you trying to articulate, through dislocated jaw and gallons of semen, "It was a good idea in theory though, you've got to admit!" And had they heard you, they would say "no, it's not, you thick, thick man. The whole point of WWE Universe mode is we create our own matches and feuds, we create our own WWE Universe, not just play through storylines that THQ makes. We had Road To WrestleMania for that. And that had proper voiceovers."

Anyway, if your main thing is interactive repeats of old TV content, give Legends of WrestleMania a spin. It had a main mode that was built around that idea.

You've given far too much time, effort and thought into just to prove me wrong, kudos. I'm struggling to see why you've got so defensive and high and mighty about an idea that admittedly wasn't a fully formed one, just random posting on how I thought they could improve the game. In my head, it made sense...obviously it didn't on paper.

Really got into this over the last few nights! Really enjoying the RTWM mode and the new possibilities that the Y button finish gives! Now community creations are up and running I'm looking forward to sorting my rosters out!

• Paid Members

After having realised that it's nigh on impossible to set Universe mode up to run brands like separate companies, I've reverted back to SmackDown and RAW and just waiting to see which CAWs turn up in the 'E. It works a lot better when you leave it do its own thing, but you can sort of guide it along a bit by paying close attention to momentum. Right now I'm utilising Hogan and Goldberg on Superstars, building their momentum up until Universe realises they are important enough to use on RAW. I'm a few weeks away from TLC so my hopes for an Undertaker v Hogan or Goldberg match at WrestleMania are still alive.

Cena's momentum is terrible and he didn't get used for a while, until Universe turned him heel! He just lost a Triple Threat Number 1 Contenders to Regal, who somehow had shot up the rankings and drew with Punk for the title at Survivor Series in an awesome Iron man match, and proceeded to destroy the announce position in anger and then decked Cole.

Also, I made up quite a few tag teams and Universe is starting to take notice of them. On SmackDown I stuck Husky and McGillicutty together as "The Crew" and for ages they weren't even on the rankings but McG just jumped Orton before his match and then after the match McG, Harris and, for some reason, McIntyre came out to taunt Orton from the ramp. As a result, The Crew are Number 1 Contenders for the tag titles and oddly Husky is now Number 1 Contender for the US and World titles. I'm hoping to get some interactions between them and my updated face Horsemen of Flair, Arn, Riley and Daniel Bryan

Archived