2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

That's taken the edge off Sunday a little, the mains, the minis, the lanarkshires and Airdrie all out of the league cup.

Is there really any other club in Scotland that you lot don't point the accusing finger at and call "Huns"? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the 'Well fans love doing more than whipping out the old Union Jack at Parkhead to get you lot wound up, but do you honestly believe that we're all secret Rangers fans?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
That's taken the edge off Sunday a little, the mains, the minis, the lanarkshires and Airdrie all out of the league cup.

Is there really any other club in Scotland that you lot don't point the accusing finger at and call "Huns"? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the 'Well fans love doing more than whipping out the old Union Jack at Parkhead to get you lot wound up, but do you honestly believe that we're all secret Rangers fans?

If you only had the bus fare.

Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd don't get the accusing finger :).

• Paid Members

I always thought the rule was that the rule was, if your supporters sing a version of "Hello Hello" then you are classed as Huns?

Some smashing Follow Follow logic at work there.

I don't post about Rangers on any forum other than here, but feel free to make your assumptions.

It was your non sequitur reasoning I was highlighting, not your choice of forums. If it makes you feel any better it would have been daft no matter where it was posted.

It was your non sequitur reasoning I was highlighting, not your choice of forums. If it makes you feel any better it would have been daft no matter where it was posted.

Not really. I seriously doubt any other team has beaten you more often or, specifically, more prominently in the last decade than Caley Thistle.

Apart from Rangers, of course.

I always thought the rule was that the rule was, if your supporters sing a version of "Hello Hello" then you are classed as Huns?

No, because as far as I know it's really only Hearts fans who sing that song apart from Rangers.

• Paid Members

No, because as far as I know it's really only Hearts fans who sing that song apart from Rangers.

I've definitely heard varying versions of it from Killie, Dundee (and I think Hamilton) fans.

Did anyone see this in The Observer last Sunday?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/se...ill-neil-lennon

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Football: Why do people want to kill Neil Lennon?

For the past decade Celtic's bellicose manager has endured death threats and physical assaults. Sectarian prejudice could explain it, but some say he brings it upon himself. Kevin McKenna meets the most victimised man in football

It is claimed that you must attend an Old Firm game at least once in your life... like drinking yak's milk with Tibetan monks or fire-walking with Mayan Indians. To say that it is merely Irish Catholic Celtic vs Ulster Protestant Rangers is to disregard the centuries of cultural, ethnic and political nuances that make this one of the purest and most intense tribal rivalries that has ever existed in world sport. Today is the first of a handful of occasions this season on which these two will meet. For those new to this tumultuous carnevale it is a breathtaking experience. The seasoned observer learns a lingua franca with which to navigate this febrile part of Glasgow, when colours, songs, accents and dialects are scrutinised for signs of an allegiance to one team or other.

Even so, the series of events that befell Celtic's Northern Irish manager Neil Lennon between January and May this year remains shocking, and has led to one of those prolonged bouts of spiritual introspection in which Scotland likes to wallow every generation or so. Following the traditional early January meeting between these two clubs, in which Celtic triumphed at the home of their ancient foes, Lennon was told by police that he was the subject of a threat of physical violence and that his home in the West End of the city would be placed under 24-hour guard. Websites began to appear encouraging subscribers to "kill Neil Lennon"; bullets were sent to him at Celtic's stadium address. In March, following a four-day media blackout, it was revealed that primed explosive devices intended for Lennon and two other prominent west of Scotland Catholics had been intercepted.

Glasgow develops a bleak and sardonic humour that it uses as a carapace when evil comes to visit. But this time there was a palpable sense of shock that such things were happening in post-Christian, modern and liberal Scotland. Why Neil Lennon? In 2002, two years after joining the club as a player, he was forced to quit playing for Northern Ireland following death threats issued to him before a game. In 2003, two students attacked him as he enjoyed a night out near his home in the genteel West End. In 2004 he was the victim of a road-rage incident in the middle of the M8 which led to a man being fined

I've definitely heard varying versions of it from Killie, Dundee (and I think Hamilton) fans.

You could be right. I've heard versions of "Hail, Hail" from Hibs fans as well (On Tuesday night).

Archived