2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky News report that it was unanimous (i.e. Rangers voted no!) BBC are saying they have no details yet. Jim Traynor was unavailable for comment as his mouth was over the exhaust pipe of Craig Whyte's repossessed Audi.

And thus, Celtic and Aberdeen are the only clubs to have been in our top flight since day one :laugh:

It should only be one team, Aberdeen should have been relegated about 10 years ago and they were only saved by Falkirk not having a suitable ground for the SPL.

This is the correct result as it would have been should any club have previously or could do in the future.

I have spoken in boring length before about why I do not go to see Celtic anymore nor even still consider myself a fan before and won't make y'all endure it again. You don't need to look much further than a previous members first posting on this page to see how the debate on Scottish football is so easily poisoned. Question is will the SFA's bait/bullying of league reconstruction make it a one division relegation?

On a related topic does anyone else think there is a lot of revisionist nonsense regarding reporting of the Celtic situation prior to McCann's arrival. I clearly remember Charlie Nicholas on Sport in Question or whatever amateur hour Scottish sport show it was lambasting coverage of how perilous a position the club was in. Similarly when St Johnstone turned Celtic over at home during this time most of the press devoted over ninety percent of their coverage to the Old Firm's club troubles or how loudly - and to their credit this is true - the Celtic fans sang throughout the defeat.

Shuggy

May I ask a question regarding the SFA reconstruction please?

Firstly will a play off system be introduced to incorporate the second bottom SPL and top three First division club?

Does the plan take the junior football system into account. Prior to Auchinleck Talbot's game at Tynecastle last season I read that the Junior teams in the Scottish Cup would never agree to such reconstructions despite happily taking good money for being able to take part in said competition - is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Shuggy

• Paid Members
And thus, Celtic and Aberdeen are the only clubs to have been in our top flight since day one :laugh:

It should only be one team, Aberdeen should have been relegated about 10 years ago and they were only saved by Falkirk not having a suitable ground for the SPL.

Wrong.

Wrong.

You finished last in the league, there was supposed to be a play off but that was changed because of Falkirk's stadium not being up to scratch, that was the year the league changed from10 to 12 teams, any other year and you would have been relegated.

• Paid Members

Wrong.

You finished last in the league, there was supposed to be a play off but that was changed because of Falkirk's stadium not being up to scratch, that was the year the league changed from10 to 12 teams, any other year and you would have been relegated.

But it wasn't "any other year". The play-off between the top 2 in the 1st Division and the bottom club in the SPL was put in place before the season started so where do you get "Aberdeen should have been relegated" from?

"Aberdeen should have been in a play-off" would have been more accurate.

So, the next thing is the SFL vote next Thursday. 29 clubs will vote on whether Rangers can join Division 1, with Dundee not allowed to vote because of a conflict of interests in the outcome.

Rangers need a majority, 15 clubs to say YES. As things stand, 11 of the 29 SFL clubs have already said they'll be voting NO.

So we only need 4 more clubs to come out and say they'll be voting NO and then Rangers will be in Division 3.

Another interesting week ahead!

It`s only one team because Celtic have been in the top flight since the league was introduced in 1890/91, Aberdeen didn`t join until 1904 and played in the second division , so whilst it`s true they have never been relegated, there has only been one team in Scotland that has played in it`s top division since the league was formed.

Archived