2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

martyngnr: I think that the mindset is entirely different now - there's a sense of community and a sense of spirit amongst the fans - the same spirit that compelled 49,000 to turn out for a Legends match. I'm in no way going to suggest that there will be 52,000 every other week but I'd be very surprised if they weren't comfortably pulling in the 2nd highest attendance in the country.

Megan Midas: By that definition then Rangers were founded in 1899 and not years prior to it. And McCulloch and Wallace would absolutely walk the 3rd Division and it'd be a Gretna scenario where we would sign players to ensure promotion was achieved.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding whether or not Rangers should be allowed in the SPL, my argument is that it's not morally right, but you could argue it's not morally wrong that they remain there. What I mean by this is that, effectively, Rangers league registration is in the predicament it's in because of the parent company going into liquidation. I'm fully aware there are other issues - dual contracts etc - but these are separate issues and shouldn't be taken into account. Now, the argument that Rangers should be relegated to Division 3 as any other newco would is one that I don't neccessarily agree with, but I can fully understand why people do and it's an argument that claims to be "morally right" - ie that it's morally imperative for Rangers to go down to Div 3.

No- "any other newco" would have to re-apply to join the Scottish Football League with other interested clubs from the East of Scotland League, Highland League etc.

When are some people going to realise that none of this is a punishment for wrongdoings.

Given that any vacancy in the SFL structure is open to admissions from prospective teams, I think this is an absolute formality. You're not going to tell me that the infrastructure, fan backing and player quality of Rangers would prevent them from being admitted immediately?

'Rangers' don't exist anymore. The team applying to join the SFL would be a new company who acquired the assets of Rangers. As it stands their lack of financial records should exclude them from applying at all, so that immediately is a dispensation that this newco would gain simply because of the Rangers connection.

This. Is it not meant to be three years of financial records before being allowed to apply to the SFL? Newco clearly would not have that.

On the eve of the SPL meeting and big vote tomorrow, Motherwell have been announced as the 7th SPL club to say they'll be voting NO to the Newco in SPL tomorrow.

Poor old Jimmy Traynor at the Daily Record is desperately trying to twist a pro-Rangers, scaremongering story out of that for tomorrow's paper.

Don't know his original source or anything but seen this on Twitter today:

While SPL clubs report increase in season ticket sales the Daily Record sees circulation fall 9.65%. Who is it that really needs Sevco?

Aye they make their money putting out bullshit, like Rangers to buy 5 players from the Euro's I don't even think Rangers fans believed that. The SPL will be a one horse race next year, it will probably be over by Christmas and the only thing that will be interesting is relegation and perhaps the race for Europe, none of these things will increase readership of the red tops by any great margin.

I just hope next season's version of this thread isn't pinned, we may as well have a Northern Irish league thread pinned otherwise, anyway, why are fans other than Celtic fans kidding themselves that Rangers going pop won't fuck them up? I mean long term not next season

Getting beyond a joke this now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18699838

8 of the 12 SPL have all said No in advance of the vote, yet the SFA is still trying to squirm Rangers into the SPL with these late night scaremongering talks.

Pretty disgusting the way this is all going. Motherwell's fans vote came out 82% against the Newco being admitted into the SPL.

I just hope next season's version of this thread isn't pinned, we may as well have a Northern Irish league thread pinned otherwise, anyway, why are fans other than Celtic fans kidding themselves that Rangers going pop won't fuck them up? I mean long term not next season

I'm not aware that there is many non old firm's that are really saying otherwise what makes you say so?

Don't confuse the stance that Newco should start from the bottom with the opinon that their club will be ok without it this is about prinicple not money.

I won't argue wether I think Scottish football could be ok in the long term (I do) it distracts from the point instead i'd go for worst case schenario.

If Hearts were to go bust in the near future sorly because of lack of rangers (which would mean we would have had a poor buisness model anyway). I would not regret my stance because the right thing was still done.

I recall reading somewhere about total attendances with and without Rangers. Aberdeen are the team that will be most greatly affected by Rangers' absence but, breaking it out across a season, it makes a difference to the tune of 300 fans per game. If they sell 400 more season tickets because Rangers aren't around anymore, then they're better off.

If other clubs are in financial trouble then that it at least in part due to the unequal distribution of TV money and the need to keep pace with the SPL pack who have long been adversely affected by Rangers' overpaying of players. Things will right themselves, it might take three years but this will hopefully put the league on a more sound financial footing.

Any board admitting they will go bust without Rangers are incompetent and should be removed from their duties. Essentially they're saying if they had a bad season and got relegated they'd go bust.

• Paid Members
I recall reading somewhere about total attendances with and without Rangers. Aberdeen are the team that will be most greatly affected by Rangers' absence but, breaking it out across a season, it makes a difference to the tune of 300 fans per game.

Roughly, that's about

Archived