2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Out of interest, why have I read nothing about Rangers fans looking to arrange their own club if RFC(IA) go to the wall? All the talk is of rich businessmen continuing to exploit them. Why can't they break the shackles?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt, Scottish football is a dysfunctional mess top to bottom. The amateur, semi-pro and pro games are completely disjointed. You essentially have four organisations doing the work of two and none of them are doing it right. There's very little money and the Scottish footballing culture seems to have been lost at a certain point. It's all very sad and tragic.

• Paid Members

Out of interest, why have I read nothing about Rangers fans looking to arrange their own club if RFC(IA) go to the wall? All the talk is of rich businessmen continuing to exploit them. Why can't they break the shackles?

Where would they play (league or football pitch)? Juniors? No way they'd be allowed into a SPL League with a ground that looks like my uncle's back garden. No point in starting a "fan run" club up here.They could do a Clydebank who are now in the Junior ranks, and who disappeared from the Scottish Football League in 2002 after Airdrie bought them over, but I don't see it happening. I can't imagine there is any decent money in it.

Where would they play (league or football pitch)? Juniors? No way they'd be allowed into a SPL League with a ground that looks like my uncle's back garden. No point in starting a "fan run" club up here.They could do a Clydebank who are now in the Junior ranks, and who disappeared from the Scottish Football League in 2002 after Airdrie bought them over, but I don't see it happening. I can't imagine there is any decent money in it.

OK, form a braintrust of supporter's trust to own the club with help from Supporters Direct; one member, one vote. Set membership at, say,

It's only been in recent weeks that the masses have started to really fear they'll be going bust. The fans have been pretty unanimously behind the Blue Knights, who are (mostly) all supporters but with a bit of business nous. It's not like they're wanting to break away.Even if they do fold, the Blue Knights will still be in pole position to claim the carcass and start the new club. I'm sure more fans would get behind them before some guys from one of their several supporters groups. Supporters groups are rarely on the same page anyway. If one tried some scheme like that, you'd have 3 or 4 groups trying to start new clubs.

If I was a Rangers fan and saw Paul Murray, or anybody from the Murray regime, anywhere near my club, I'd be going mental. They put the club in this predicament.

I know, but generally the fans have chosen to believe that it was only Sir David and Shooter to blame, and that everyone else, even directors, were blameless.

• Paid Members

Hooper scores 5 today, there must be an England call up for him surely? When the team is struggling for English strikers in form before the Euro's surely it'd be better than taking someone just because they have more name value? He's been phenomenal for Celtic this year

• Paid Members

Hooper scores 5 today, there must be an England call up for him surely? When the team is struggling for English strikers in form before the Euro's surely it'd be better than taking someone just because they have more name value? He's been phenomenal for Celtic this year

He's such a good striker as well. Good turn of pace, strong as an ox. Good finisher also!...I fucking hate him! :sneaky:

No offence but what top class experience does he have? Without checking I'd imagine he's played a few Champions League games but scoring a load against some League One quality teams isn't exactly going to get him on Hodgson's radar

• Paid Members

Wheras Ukraine and Sweden's defences are world beaters? Ok, going up against France he could be eaten alive, but right now England needs a player that can score goals and is powerful enough on the pitch while Rooney is suspended. Hearts, Hibs, Rangers are all Championship caliber teams at least and he has easily ripped them apart when he needs too (for example Hearts today) I've been saying it for a few months, what have England really got to lose at this stage. A manager nobody really expected, a team that is being blighted by injuries and suspensions before they've even set off and a lack of fan support at the games if newspaper reports are to be believed. They may as well take him, let him unleash a goal or two on Ukraine and Sweden and then if they make it through the group stages, use him as a sub when the big boys can take over and fuck it up.

Archived