Randy Savage Dies

Jambo

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From f4w/observer news

-- Can't read it because you have to be a subscriber to the magazine, but apparently in the new issue of TIME there is an article on Macho Man written by Vince McMahon. The first few paragraphs, which are free, appear to be pretty flattering. Vince calls him one of the building blocks of the World Wrestling Federation and a guy who knew how to be a star.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...2074239,00.html

My have to buy the mag to read this

At the Wrestlefest 2011 event, presented by Big Time Wrestling (www.btwrestling.com), in Newark, California last weekend, one wrestler got major heat by other wrestlers in attendance for laughing about and mocking Randy Savage's recent death.

Former WWE, WCW and TNA wrestler, Brian Knobs of the Nasty Boys, was reportedly mocking the death of "Macho Man" Randy Savage on the night of the tragic accident. Wrestlefest 2011 took place last Friday at the Newark Pavilion and featured a host of professional wrestlers, including Bret Hart, Kevin Nash, X-Pac Sean Waltman, the Nasty Boys and many others.

One wrestler in attendance told me that Knobs would be impersonating Savage and then put his hands to his chest as if he was faking a heart attack. "[Knobs] was joking about the fact that he outlived Savage and so many other wrestlers and it was just uncalled for," one source told WrestleZone.com.

Another wrestler at the event said that it's just how Knobs is, but it's no excuse. "He's just an asshole in real life, but it doesn't mean it should be tolerated. Whether he really meant anything or not by it, show some respect".

While most wrestlers haven't publicly spoken out about the situation with Knobs, Sean Waltman posted the following on his Twitter page: "There's no shoot brewing w Knobs. He's just an asshole for making jokes about Randy Savage dying on the same day it happened. He's pathetic." Waltman later messaged Hulk Hogan, who it's no secret is close friends with Knobs, saying, "@HulkHogan4Real I love u man, but ur court jester Knobs crossed the line w his laughing about Randy's death before the sun even went down. I'm sorry to even bring u into Knobs BS, but he needs to be held accountable for once. Ur the only 1 I know who can do it."

Credit>http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/exclusive-wrestler-upsets-many-by-mocking-savage-death-130497

From what I've read about him this isn't really a shock isn't Nobbs one of the most hated guys in wrestling

Watching Disc 1 of the DVD that came 24 hours after I ordered it. Some matches I'd not seen before on it and they are pretty good, I wasn't expecting his debut to be so entertaining, he was instantly over as a heel there, great work by Savage. That man would still fit in if he debuted today.

I hope WWE do another DVD soon, more matches, documentary loaded with stars talking about him.

The full TIME magazine article written by Vince:

The June 6, 2011 issue of TIME features an article on the late Randy Savage written by Vince McMahon. Here is the article in its entirety:

"It's important in sports and it's important in entertainment to stand out. Randy knew that. Right away, he wanted to leave his mark, and to do that he was aware he had to make himself different from everyone else. One way he did this was concentrating on his outfits, those brightly colored costumes with foot-long fringe that became his trademark. He brought to wrestling a unique look and style.

"Randy, who died in a car crash May 20 at age 58, was one of the building blocks of what is now WWE (previously known as the World Wrestling Federation). He had a very unusual voice --remember his "Snap into a Slim Jim. Oh, yeah!" commercials?--and was extremely charismatic. Perception is very important in this business, and he also had a very high opinion of himself, something he needed in a locker room full of performers who had been around for a while and had big personalities and followings--like Hulk Hogan, Today, Randy is remembered as one of wrestling's all time greats. No question about it--he certainly was."

Nice tribute by Vince (along with the video package they aired).

I'd encourage anyone who's interested in Savage's career to watch WWE Vintage this week. Great, great show. Although if you get annoyed with Cena's no selling look away when Hogan kicks out of a nailed top rope elbow (no pause before the cover) at 1 3/4.

• Paid Members

Watching the Macho Madness DVD, I've uncovered an exception to one of my usual pet hates.

I utterly hate when WWE have to dub over any music to make it different from what was played at the time with cheap stock rubbish, like whenever the nWo music, Voodoo Child or Edge's Never Gonna Stop theme are dubbed over. It's terrible.

However, I quite like that Flair's entrance for WMVIII has been dubbed over with his "real" music, as the WWF's in-house version actually came across as cheesy as cheap when you were used to the grandeur of Flair's epic entrance. Shame they had to use the version that started with the "WHOOO!" but hey, nothing's perfect. They didn't do it for the Coliseum Video tag match of Savage/Bret v Flair/Michaels for some reason though, how bizarre.

Apropos of nothing, Liz was fucking gorgeous.

Although if you get annoyed with Cena's no selling look away when Hogan kicks out of a nailed top rope elbow (no pause before the cover) at 1 3/4.

I'd say the two are pretty independent. It's The Hulkster. The rules of common sense never applied/apply to him, nor should they.

• Paid Members

Which match was this? Hopefully not the one with the "reviving elbow." That's the notable exception to the "Hulking Up = brilliant" rule.

EDIT - I've googled it to no joy, but does anyone know any easter eggs on Macho Madness?

Watching the Macho Madness DVD, I've uncovered an exception to one of my usual pet hates.

I utterly hate when WWE have to dub over any music to make it different from what was played at the time with cheap stock rubbish, like whenever the nWo music, Voodoo Child or Edge's Never Gonna Stop theme are dubbed over. It's terrible.

However, I quite like that Flair's entrance for WMVIII has been dubbed over with his "real" music, as the WWF's in-house version actually came across as cheesy as cheap when you were used to the grandeur of Flair's epic entrance. Shame they had to use the version that started with the "WHOOO!" but hey, nothing's perfect. They didn't do it for the Coliseum Video tag match of Savage/Bret v Flair/Michaels for some reason though, how bizarre.

The best use of stock music in WWE history is on that very DVD, for Savage vs Dusty Rhodes at WM6. Wheel of Fortune:

Would have only been made better if the Fink had said "Dusty Rhodes, come on down!".

Archived