The Official PWG Thread

Agree with all of that, but I think I enjoyed the Monsters' match a fair bit more than you did. I'm a huge fan of them though. All of their matches have this chaotic feel to them which makes them really enjoyable. They had the same sort of match with The Dynasty as well.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I continued my 2010 PWG sampling (courtesy of Big Benny HG) today with 2010 Battle of Los Angeles Night One.

The show was nowhere near the standard of Seven, and a real mixed bag, but I'm going to guess that night two is better (using the ROH Race To The Top Tournament from 2007 as a guide).

The first proper match of the show, The Cutler Brothers vs The Young Bucks, turns out to be one of the most enjoyable of the night, mainly due to the heat the Bucks always get in that venue.

The tournament matches featuring the West Coast talent, such as Brandon Gatson vs Ryan Taylor, Joey Ryan vs Chuck Taylor (to be fair: I've never rated Ryan) and Brandon Bonham vs Brian Cage were much of a muchness, and didn't stand out in any particular way. Then there was Paul London vs Roderick Strong, which was made completely unwatchable by London's "creativity" going unchecked. What the hell was going on there is beyond me.

Claudio Castagnoli vs Ricochet was the first tournament match that was really fun, along the lines of many other Claudio vs high flyer matches, though I'd have loved to see a rematch where they had the chance to improve on it. On the other hand, Austin Aries vs Rocky Romero has been done before, but was enjoyable for the character work and Romero was uncharacteristically reigned in when they hit the closing stages.

I was really looking forward to El Generico vs Akira Tozawa, and they were on the way to a match as good as it looked on paper, but it was let down in a big way by two major botches in the final third of the bout.

Finally, Christopher Daniels vs Chris Hero was the main event, felt like a main event, and delivered a solid match. The only issue I had with it really was the sense that Daniels needed to put over Hero like he was an up and coming rookie. That was a bit weird.

So, a mixed bag of a show, but as is the PWG way, it had fun moments and things you might remember afterwards, unlike ROH's cookie cutter B shows.

• Paid Members
Agree with all of that, but I think I enjoyed the Monsters' match a fair bit more than you did. I'm a huge fan of them though. All of their matches have this chaotic feel to them which makes them really enjoyable. They had the same sort of match with The Dynasty as well.

As I've said on these pages before, I'm really big on Johnny Goodtime, but Yuma doesn't do much for me I'm afraid

EDIT : First 4 teams in for DDT 2012 -

RockNES Monsters

Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly

Sami Callihan & Roderick Strong

Ryan Taylor & Brian Cage-Taylor

The Young Bucks

When Chuck's not in the mix, the FTB do nothing for me I'm afraid.

• Paid Members

PWG World's Finest Results :

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Kevin Steen def Peter Avalon

Brian Cage Taylor def Ray Rosas

Candice LaRae def Joey Ryan (Ryan dressed in Andy Kaufman gear)

Scorpio Sky def TJ Perkins

Super Smash Bros. def The Young Bucks and RockNES Monsters

Kyle O'Reilly def Alex Koslov

Willie Mack def Roderick Strong

Kevin Steen def Eddie Edwards and El Generico © to become the NEW PWG World Champion

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've seen a pic of Joey Ryan, wonder if it's a one-off?

From what i've read it was a good event with 2 really good matches.

Main event result is strange, cos i guess El Generico isn't going anywhere. But Steen as champ is fine with me. Hope Super Dragon is back for DDT4.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I'd say Steen winning the belt means SD is going to be out for a while. The reviews on the PWG forum say the show was good, but nothing amazing

Apparently Joey Ryan was doing some kind of Andy Kaufman gimmick

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

First match announced for DDT4:

Sami Callihan and Roderick Strong vs Kevin Steen and Super Dragon

Should be great and i'm very happy Dragon wasn't injured for very long.

Looking forward to seeing Sami and Super Dragon beat the hell out of each other in that one, although I thought after the results of the last show Dragon was gonna be out a while, can't see them defending the titles the whole way through this tournament, a couple of title changes would actually make it real interesting.

• Paid Members

I just about managed to find time before heading to Miami to finish my PWG sampling with the 2010 Battle Of Los Angeles Night Two.

We start with the second round matches. Austin Aries vs Joey Ryan is a good battle between two wrestlers with similar stature and character, and things get even better as Claudio Castagnoli vs Roderick Strong has some lightning fast matwork and builds to a really strong conclusion. Brandon Bonham vs Brandon Gatson is the weakest match of the round, and has a botch near the end. The showstealing match on the entire card is the final second round match, Chris Hero vs Akira Tozawa. Incredible stuff between two guys the crowd love, with super intensity and killer action before nuclear heat. Wonderful.

Unfortunately, the opening semi-final that follows is really, really boring, as Joey Ryan vs Claudio Castagnoli features Joey's injured shoulder being worked slooowwwwllllyyyy, and Joey doing little but punches. Even worse, Ryan then gets an upset win with a superkick, at which point a fair proportion of the crowd turn on him. Brandon Gatson vs Chris Hero in the second semi-final starts out hot, but again I was starting to tune out by the end.

Non-tournament six man tag team action pitting Brian Cage-Taylor, Chuck Taylor and Ryan Taylor vs Johnny Goodtime, Ricochet and Rocky Romero is strictly filler material, except for when Chuck and Ricochet battle each other. They always work well as opponents.

El Generico and Paul London defending the PWG World Tag Team Titles against The Cutler Brothers is the penultimate bout on the show, and while this is good, it didn't quite meet my expectations. The finish is really good, I'll give them that.

Finally, I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen in the Battle of Los Angeles Final of Joey Ryan vs Chris Hero, and sure enough the match was way too long at almost 25 minutes, and actually sent me to sleep in the middle. Joey winning with a small package left the show ending on a downer, as well.

I have no intention of watching this show again ever (I watched Seven twice...) though there was enough good to make the card a thumbs in the middle recommendation. Hero vs Tozawa is excellent, I should say again. I'm fairly certain I will be picking some PWG up in Miami however...

I got Kurt Russelreunion in the post yesterday, so should be watching that tonight.

After hearing quite a few bad reports about PWG dvds and people not getting them or taking ages from the site. I have to say they've been great for me. Ive pre-order the last 3 events and got them very quickly in perfect condition.

• Paid Members

So, the Q-F matches for DDT4 are :

Roderick Strong/ Sami Callihan vs. Kevin Steen / Super Dragon

Kyle O'Reilly & Adam Cole vs. Joey Ryan & Scorpio Sky

The Young Bucks vs. Super Smash Brothers

RockNES Monsters vs. Ryan Taylor & Brian Cage-Taylor

I'd love to see SSB win it; but I suspect they'll put the Monsters over this year.

Archived