The Official PWG Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

PWG Seven (30 July 2010)

zkn3_pwg_seven.jpg

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla present their 7th anniversary event, in front of a sell-out, legitimately turn-away, jam-packed-on-top-of-each-other vocal, enthusiastic and loyal fan base in Reseda, California. Not a word of a lie - there are people EVERYWHERE. On offer here are grudge matches, title bouts, retirements, returns, showcase singles encounters and more.

The DVD gets underway immediately with the usual quick, all-action multi-person daftness, this time in the form of Johnny Goodtime & Brandon Gatson & Candice LeRay vs. Malachi Jackson & Ryan Taylor & Peter Avalon. Gatson is back in a more more suited environment after somewhat of a recent singles push and looks much more impressive as a result. "Pretty" Peter Avalon makes his PWG debut here, and fits in perfectly with the now-established blend of big moves, crazy dives and mad comedy. These matches are usually good fun, but this is one of the finest examples they've ever produced. Wonderful entertainment from the PWG opening match crew doing what they do best.

Next up is an impressive, perfectly decent match pitting Brandon Bonham against the debuting Brian Cage, the latter of whom is initially greeted by chants of "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!?" from the PWG faithful (a cross between Tank Toland and Lash LeRoux, if you ask me). His unfamiliarity didn't stop the fans quickly getting into the action, though, and they appeared to enjoy it as much as I did. This is followed up by TNA's Chris Sabin taking on Dragon Gate's Akira Tozawa in one of those unique bouts you can only see in PWG. It's this type of thing that really sets the promotion apart from other indies like ROH. From the start, these two have fabulous chemistry together and the result is a somewhat-short but still undeniably top-notch encounter. So far this disc is 3-for-3.

A special and significant moment for PWG is then marked in Scott Lost's retirement match. "The Professional" was one of the 6 original founders of the promotion and has been a major part of it in both singles and a variety of championship teams for the entire 7 year run. In this, his last ever performance, he faces Scorpio Sky, a man he has much history with making a now-rare appearance for this special occasion. Indeed, they had a bitter and brilliant feud as part of the Arrogance vs. Aerial Express series, and were later aligned as part of terrific Dynasty heel faction. A fitting farewell for Lost, as the fans get to see him dish out all of his signature spots one last time, but also one that eventually develops into yet another good, exciting match.

The special theme of the night continues with former 2-time PWG World Champion "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson making his return to the promotion after being released by WWE for displaying "excessive violence" on TV. Needless to say, he is met with a rapturous, adoring reception (and a lot of neck-ties...) for his bout with Roderick Strong. Once the obligatory tie-based humour is out of the way, these to get down to business with 15 minutes of bending, stretching, twisting and just plain beating each other assembling a competitive, compelling and captivating cracker. The same can equally be said of Davey Richards' PWG World Title defence against Chris Hero... and then some. I'm often up and down on singles matches from these two - they can be dull, frustrating, self-indulgent, un-engaging affairs, or they really can be rather great. They grabbed my attention with this one, though, and managed to keep it in a well-paced story of developing intensity as they battle for the belt. A fantastically engrossing and match which is genuinely thrilling by the time it heads down the final straight. The thing that makes it so great is that you really have no idea who is going to win, and because they get it into your head that the prize is something worth fighting for, you're right with them until the end for every twist, turn and convincing false finish.

The final match on the DVD, then, is another complete change of pace, as iPeligro Abejas! (Paul London & El Generico) defend their PWG World Tag Team Titles in a 3-Way Guerrilla Warfare match (basically a streetfight) against the hated guys they took the belts from, The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson), and the Bucks' sworn enemies The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin). The Cutlers ambush the Bucks by using the same sneak-attack-through-the-crowd tactics the Bucks have established as a trademark to start the craziness right away. From there, this is all-out insanity. It's one of those matches that will always divide immovable opinion, since it's is best described as being one long non-stop high spot. For me, that is no criticism in this particular instance, since is one of the best examples of how this type of all-action stunt-based extended sprint can be executed in such a way as to leave the right impression. Indeed, there are far too many ridiculous moves, nutty dives, near-falls and momentum switches to note, recall or fully take in, but you never get any feeling other than they are doing all of this in an attempt to get the crucial win over their big rivals. In addition, the 6 wrestlers' personalities which have been fully-established to these fans over the course of the year are still all-over the match. All-in-all, this is an innovative, jaw-dropping, breath-taking spectacle that will blow all of your senses away. Right up there as one of PWG's best matches of the year.

As you might have guessed, the overall opinion on this DVD is a resounding thumbs-up. With not a bad match in sight, and several excellent ones, this is one of the very best shows of the year. It's difficult to compare this DVD to the output of, say, WWE, since so much of what makes PWG so fantastic is that it does run in a small hall with basic production values. The crowd is only a few-hundred strong, but they absolutely pack them in there so they are almost on top of the action. These are fiercely loyal, rabid, crazy fans who know all of the wrestlers, their characters, their stories and their motivations inside out, and as such are completely into everything on offer. In this universe, these wrestlers are superstars and every single thing they do matters, and those who follow it are rewarded with incredible action. 'Seven' is a perfect example of what to expect from Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: it doesn't take itself too seriously, it has every possible wrestling style on offer and it has some terrific, terrific matches. Existing PWG fans will recognise this as one of the best offerings in a long time from a promotion with a traditionally strong output anyway. New viewers can also jump on board with this one safe in the knowledge that they should find plenty that they like.

This DVD isn't recommended - it's essential.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Candice LeRay {W, moonsault} & Johnny Goodtime & Brandon Gatson beat Ryan Taylor & Malachi Jackson {L} & Peter Avalon

Brandon Bonham beat Brian Cage by pinfall with the Hammer of the Gods

Akira Tozawa pinned Chris Sabin with a bridging German suplex

Scorpio Sky pinned Scott Lost after hitting him with his own Big Fat Kill

Bryan Danielson beat Roderick Strong by tapout with the LeBell Lock

Davey Richards forced Chris Hero to submit to a heel hook to retain the PWG World Championship

Guerrilla Warfare Match: iPeligro Abejas (Paul London & El Generico {W, Brainbustaaa} beat The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick {L} Jackson) and The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin) to retain the PWG World Tag Team Championship

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Next: The 2010 Battle of Los Angeles

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Gatson/Taylor was a fucking travesty, and definately the worst match in any promotion for 2011. "Get My Shit In" could not have been a more appropriate thing to have on trunks in that match.Agreed on the rest though. Especially Kevin Steen. The goofy is always there in spades. It always tones down as the match goes on, but it's always there. As for Avalon, I like him. He has a bit of character about him and the PWG fans have taken to him because of that.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I mean you can't fault their cardio; and I'll the last person to espuse a "big man" view of wrestling. But you just look at them sometimes and think "come on, just out some muscle on somewhere". I really don't rate Yuma in any case, but am a big Goodtime fan.As for Avalon, I think he's gotten better in 2011. All the stuff with Candance and whatnot was bottom of the card filler, but here's hoping his improvement continues. It has to be said the locals havn't had a great 2001 thus far - Bonham/ Cutlers are gone, Gatson doesn't look to be doing much; the Taylor boys are a bit bland to say the least (excluding Chuck obviously)

• Paid Members

They've only run 10 shows a year for the past two years, so you could begin at the start of 2011 with KRR2. Show was a bit patchy, but does have Davey/ Lo-Ki and Claudio/ Generico on it.

I've been trying to catch up on PWG too. I'd seen alll the 2009-2011 stuff and I watched KRR2 over the weekend. I agree it was patchy. Despite such a good looking card I've had a problem with both Wrestle Reunion shows they've done. The next show (DDT4) on the other hand has been great so far and I've already seen the fantastic final

I've been trying to catch up on PWG too. I'd seen alll the 2009-2011 stuff and I watched KRR2 over the weekend. I agree it was patchy. Despite such a good looking card I've had a problem with both Wrestle Reunion shows they've done. The next show (DDT4) on the other hand has been great so far and I've already seen the fantastic final

Neither Wrestle Reunion show has felt like a PWG show. They've had there highlights but not been that great.

• Paid Members

I had the opportunity to buy Kurt RussellReunion 2 at ROH in Atlanta and declined. I might ask Big Benny HG to lend me Seven when we hook up for GPW and XWA in early February then order some 2011 stuff afterwards, as I have some DGUSA to last until then.

Neither Wrestle Reunion show has felt like a PWG show. They've had there highlights but not been that great.
The main reason I'm so behind in PWG now is that I was putting off watching the Reunion show. Hopefully this year's show will break the trend, with the inclusion of Dragon Gate.I'll add my vote to "Seven" being a cracking show

• Paid Members

I had the opportunity to buy Kurt RussellReunion 2 at ROH in Atlanta and declined. I might ask Big Benny HG to lend me Seven when we hook up for GPW and XWA in early February then order some 2011 stuff afterwards, as I have some DGUSA to last until then.

I'll bring you 2010 DDT4, Seven and the 2010 BOLA (which I should get through this week; review to come as expected) to give you a feel for 2010, then it's up to you where you start in 2011....With them running so few shows each year when compared to the likes of ROH, DGUSA and Chikara, PWG really is so easy to watch and keep up with (yeah, says the guy still stuck in 2010...).

• Paid Members

I expect to hit June 2011 this week and should manage ROH, DGUSA and GPW (!) from that month in time for the borrowing. Thankfully the second half of 2011 shouldn't take too long..

• Paid Members

There's also reviews of most of the 2010 shows on the first page of the thread, and the rest are in there somewhere

Archived