Creepy/Scary Video Game Moments

Green

• Paid Members

Reading the most recent Cracked article got me thinking about the creepy, scary or just unsettling moments I've come across while playing video games. Silent Hill is still one of the scariest games I ever played but one of the most recent times to come to mind is during one of the demon doors in Fable 2, where you enter a bright, happy looking, snowy area and go into a cottage only to have the game flash and the location change to a dark, depressing place with skeletons laying around.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resident Evil Nemesis...walking through a really dark corridor.....shit scary music playing...hearing the wind blowing on the doors.....then BOOM a fucking flock of crows comes bursting through the windows! Scared the bejesus out me big time!

• Paid Members
Resident Evil Nemesis...walking through a really dark corridor.....shit scary music playing...hearing the wind blowing on the doors.....then BOOM a fucking flock of crows comes bursting through the windows! Scared the bejesus out me big time!

Ugh... fucking Nemesis. I've rage quit games in the past, that game may be the only occasion I've fear quit. Walking by the newspaper office, having taken a slightly different route from usual, and the fucking Nemesis just came out of nowhere through the flames, no warning. Turned it off then and there, wasted 3 hours play.

Ugh... fucking Nemesis. I've rage quit games in the past, that game may be the only occasion I've fear quit. Walking by the newspaper office, having taken a slightly different route from usual, and the fucking Nemesis just came out of nowhere through the flames, no warning. Turned it off then and there, wasted 3 hours play.

Absolutely the same. I was under the impression the Nemesis could attack you anywhere, so I played it at 4,000Mph. When he burst through the window with a pissing Rocket Launcher, as if the giant bastard needed it.

Playing Resident Evil at night one the PS1 when I was about 11 with all the lights off was what made me a man and also the reason I had my sheets changed in the morning.

Same here, I hated the opening of door sequances. Everytime you walked upto a door the tension was over powering, just the slow motion and creeking noises was bad enough let alone the thought of what was behind it. :sneaky:

• Paid Members

Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube.

Me and my mate were playing it when we were about 15 and it gets to a point where you enter the bathroom and there's nothing in it, but then you look at the bath and it says "Press A", so you naturally just press it.

gaming_eternaldarkness.jpg

Then that fucker just pops up on the screen and screeches at you. We were sat on a sofabed and both jumped so fast in unison that our momentum tipped it over and we were just laying on the floor with shit in our pants.

• Paid Members

The original Resident Evil is a great game for that kind of thing when you were young and playing it through for the first time. I remember desperately searching around the mansion to find a key to open a locked door, and then being scared shitless of actually opening it. The first one was the best at this, but they managed to still throw in the odd shit-your-pants moment in all the (main) games. Not counting shit like Resident Evil Survivor, Outbreak etc. They always did a good job of making you feel like something could attack you at any moment and that you were never really safe. Like in 2, not long after you enter the police station, you just walking to this room, and you see a giant licker crawl past the window on the outside of the building. Or if you were running down the corridors and go too close to the boarded up windows, the zombies would reach in and grab you. Then they cranked that up in 3 when they made Nemisis able to OPEN FUCKING DOORS AND KEEP CHASING YOU.

There is a building in Fallout 3 where the deeper you go into it, you find tape transcripts of what happened to this family that was holed up in there a couple of centuries earlier. The place is full of feral ghouls who make this snarling/gasping for air type sound. There is one section of the building that is in complete darkness, and your Pipboy only lights up about 2 feet in front of you. The second you go in through the door, you can just hear the snarls, and the pitter-patter of the running feet moving around in all directions, but cant see shit. That was extremely creepy/scary.

I remember Manhunt being a particularly creepy/intense game. First time playing that through, i used to be on the edge of my seat, holding my breath as I went through levels. As if me breathing heavily would somehow alert the hunters to my location.

Only ever played the Gamecube Resident Evil remake, it terrified me.

Dead Space wasn't exactly terrifying, but certainly the ending make me jump out of my skin. Dead Space 2 was much more scary especially the opening sequence!

Echo love for Eternal Darkness on Gamecube, amazing!

The original Silent Hill was awesome for creepiness, the whole game just had a quality ive not really found in another game. Fallout 3 has some parts which are a little creepy too. For an all over creepy theres always Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper..

Archived