Wade Barrett

Shovanist Pig

• Paid Members

Maybe he was, but it seems to have been just a gimmick to have given him some back story for NXT. He seemed to drop it pretty quickly the moment Nexus formed, and even during NXT, he never used any offence that a boxer might.

Maybe he was, but it seems to have been just a gimmick to have given him some back story for NXT. He seemed to drop it pretty quickly the moment Nexus formed, and even during NXT, he never used any offence that a boxer might.

They still talk about it. It was the basis for Cole's "Eastern Europe" fuck-up on commentary a few weeks back. I assumed it was similar to Regal's "grew up fighting on the docks of Blackpool" backstory -- largely bollocks, but has a kernel of truth in it. Barrett said this about it in an interview with IGN in November, anyway:

The supposed "shoot" wrestling matches that Regal had on Blackpool pier were works. Which isn't to say that he didn't have to deal with drunken punters hitting the ring, because he no doubt did. But the actual wrestling matches were a scam, the "volunteers" were plants.

• Paid Members

I thought the whole point of the carny fairground stuff was to "pepper" the odd performance with a plant, to make the marks think they stood a chance of winning cash, and then destroy said marks in a shoot and taking their money?

I thought the whole point of the carny fairground stuff was to "pepper" the odd performance with a plant, to make the marks think they stood a chance of winning cash, and then destroy said marks in a shoot and taking their money?

That might have been the case once (though I'm not sure how it'd work unless the mark has to pay a good amount to attempt the fight), but I don't think it was in Regal's day. He was having a conversation on Twitter the other day with someone who's dad had tried to answer the challenge and the promoter had had to get involved. Regal said he only remembered that ever happening once, and he didn't let the bloke have a go because he didn't want to risk getting battered.

My dad used to do fake boxing at fairs, and apparently the con (if I'm remembering right) was that there'd be prize money for anyone who could beat the champion. The "local" plant would put in a valiant performance but fail to win the prize money, and they'd have a whip-round from the punters for him. There must have been more to it than that, though.

It was the basis for Cole's "Eastern Europe" fuck-up on commentary a few weeks back.

I read about this in Power Slam. How was it a "fuck up"? He said Barrett used to do bare knuckle fighting in Eastern Europe. Had it been said before that he only ever did it everywhere but Eastern Europe?

It certainly seemed like a fuck-up, when Josh Matthews started laughing at him and correcting him. Cole thought on his feet quick though and went something like "...I know he's from western Europe, but he used to do bare-knuckle fighting in Romania and places like that." I don't think we'd ever heard of Wadey's Tour of the EE before, or anything other than he did bare-knuckle fighting in the UK.

• Paid Members

That might have been the case once (though I'm not sure how it'd work unless the mark has to pay a good amount to attempt the fight), but I don't think it was in Regal's day. He was having a conversation on Twitter the other day with someone who's dad had tried to answer the challenge and the promoter had had to get involved. Regal said he only remembered that ever happening once, and he didn't let the bloke have a go because he didn't want to risk getting battered.

My dad used to do fake boxing at fairs, and apparently the con (if I'm remembering right) was that there'd be prize money for anyone who could beat the champion. The "local" plant would put in a valiant performance but fail to win the prize money, and they'd have a whip-round from the punters for him. There must have been more to it than that, though.

Woah, that's a helluva story to have. Cool.

I think I also recall Regal saying something like that, but it wasn't on Twitter - can't think for the life of me where, though.

It certainly seemed like a fuck-up, when Josh Matthews started laughing at him and correcting him. Cole thought on his feet quick though and went something like "...I know he's from western Europe, but he used to do bare-knuckle fighting in Romania and places like that." I don't think we'd ever heard of Wadey's Tour of the EE before, or anything other than he did bare-knuckle fighting in the UK.

I guess it was a simple mistake that was covered up. But I think if Josh Mathews had said nothing, no one would have mentioned it. No one ever said Wade Barrett did Bare Knuckle fighting in Manchester after all. Either way, that's such a small thing, which is why I was surprised Power Slam mentioned it.

Regarding the fairground boxing/wrestling stuff, hate to be negative but in some cases it could be the perfect environment for dipping wallets and purses.

I'd imagine it's a huge crowd in a bustling area, so no-one would notice getting bumped into by a pickpocket.

i know quite a lot about bare knuckle, even tryed it myself and know a lot who also do it and done it.

iv also met wade a few times when he wreslted on shows with me and i can honestly tell u he's never had a bk fight in his life hhaha

all part of wwe's build up

Archived