It closed its doors ten years ago today...

Boon Town Rat

Tens years ago today, World Championship Wrestling closed, it aired for the last time on Turners network. It closed with a match that was a major blow to Wrestlemania in 1988, Sting going to a 45 minute draw with Ric Flair. Although the last couple of years is well documented as being "Not so great" it still had large crowds, it still travelled and it still had people watching.

Ric Flair sum's it up best here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWE-Q1yBl-4

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can't believe it's been ten years. Astounding. I've been going back through some of the Monday night war stuff recently and re-watching nWo clips and the like. Chris Jericho talks about his WCW tenure in a Lion's Tale and from that alone you get the general vibe of what the place was probably like to work in. I don't think anyone expected Vince to be the one to buy his own competition.

Is there any truth to the rumour that one of the original plans was to make The Rock the new face of Vince's WCW as he rebranded the company?

Is there any truth to the rumour that one of the original plans was to make The Rock the new face of Vince's WCW as he rebranded the company?

Meltzer was saying so at the time. Even after the dust had settled a bit and a few months had passed since the buyout he was claiming that when the WCW brand was starting up (and it was still planned to be run as a totally separate company to WWF at this time) they were going to move a couple of WWE main eventers, most likely Rock, over to WCW full time.

I suppose one way to celebrate WCW which we haven't done on here for a few years would be the full survey:

- Favourite WCW Event?

- Favourite WCW Singles Match?

- Favourite WCW Tag Match?

- Favourite WCW Gimmick Match?

- Favourite WCW Angle?

- Favourite WCW Moment?

and any others that people would like to add.

The last nitro aired 26 march did it not?

Shit I think your right. Start it early...

Thought so, that date has just always stuck in my head,I will be 90 years old telling my great granchildren about the day shane walked onto nitro! Lol

Almost 10 years, shit that has gone fast when I look back and it does make me sad that there isnt an alternative promotion selling out house shows, making stars and allowing wrestlers to be fresher for longer because they can go and make just as much money elsewhere

I don't think we'll ever see it's like again. In 3 years they went from ritually slaughtering raw every week in the ratings to not being able to give away comp tickets for PPVs. Those Fridays when Nitro was on TNT/Bravo and Raw followed on Sky Sports were great.

Archived