It closed its doors ten years ago today...

Boon Town Rat

- Favourite WCW Event?

Too many to choose...

- Favourite WCW Singles Match?

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes - Great American Bash 1986 - Cage Match for the NWA World Title - July 26, 1986

- Favourite WCW Tag Match?

Ill get back to you on this one...

- Favourite WCW Gimmick Match?

Wars Games 1987, nothing comes close...

- Favourite WCW Angle?

Bash At The Beach 1996, excellently done. And start a feud between Sting and Hogan that lasted 18 months before a match took place..

- Favourite WCW Moment?

Flair's return to Nitro in September 1998, for just the pure emotion in the building that night and his speech.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

- Favourite WCW Event?

Probably Spring Stampede 1999. I bought the video from WH Smith, the first official WCW release I'd seen since about 1992 and I thought it was the absolute nuts at the time.

Goldberg vs. Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000. Absolutely brilliant.

Benoit and Malenko vs. Raven and Saturn from Spring Stampede 1999. Absolutely loved it at the time. I'm sure there was a triple threat with DDP and Kanyon in it too that I loved more but I can't think of it.

As much as I love the Triple Cage concept, it has to be Wargames. Not exactly a WCW gimmick but close enough. The penalty box match was a triumph too.

- Favourite WCW Angle?

It's not very well known really, so I might seem a bit sad for remembering it. Anyway, Scott Hall turned up on Nitro during a jobber match one week and talked a bit of smack. It was quite good.

- Favourite WCW Moment?

The rebirth Nitro in April 2000. Absolutely outstanding.

The day wrestling started to die, damn shame.

Its funny when you're younger you think things are going to be around forever, theirs no way in 1997 if you told me WCW would be gone in 4 years would I believe it, the same way I wouldnt believe SEGA would stop making consoles and Sonic would appear on a Nintendo machine, it would just sound totally nuts to say such things in 1997, makes me wonder what will happen to WWE in the future, Im struggling to see past an era without the legends and Cena and worst of all no Vince, perhaps Zuffa will buy WWE in the next 15 years lol.

Ah well atleast most of us can say we lived through the better years of pro wrestling.

@dopper

Cant answer them all because that would take more thinking, but;

Favourite WCW Gimmick Match?

Wrestler vs referee

Jericho (with one hand tied behind his back) vs Nick Patrick (after months of Nick screwing WCW wrestlers out of wins, Jericho finally gets some payback, Nick was a great heel, the feud almost reminds of this current Cole/Lawler thing, funny how an annoucer and ref can make better heels than most modern wrestlers)

Favourite WCW Angle?

Well obviously nWo, no need to explain that, but I would say mostly just the first 2 years of it.

Favourite WCW Tag Match?

I dont know but it will probably involve faces of fear, who I thought were a immense tag team, back when their were actually tag teams and a competitive tag divsion.

Favourite WCW Moment?

Hogan vs Goldberg on Nitro, considering how hard it was to watch WCW PPV's back in them days (no torrents or youtube kiddies) getting to see such a match was great, not the fact of how big of a match this was, I know WCW got slated for giving away such a big match for free, but from what I've seen people say through the years its still one of the biggest moments in WCW and out of all the things it's the one I remember the most, watching it back then.

You could say that was the last good thing in WCW, because after that, well... :(

- Favourite WCW Event?WCW Superbrawl 6

- Favourite WCW Singles Match? Rey Misterio Jr vs Psicosis, Bash at the Beach 1996

- Favourite WCW Tag Match? Road Warriors vs Steiner Brothers, Nitro 1996.

- Favourite WCW Gimmick Match? World War 3

- Favourite WCW Angle? The reformation of the Horsemen (Flair, Anderson, Benoit and Pillman and later Flair, Anderson, Benoit and Malenko)

- Favourite WCW Moment? Seeing new wrestlers every week on Nitro.

Yeah, a black day for wrestling. While it did open up the potential dream match scenario with the Invasion, it did immediately mark the end for a lot of wrestling fans.

Nitro may have fallen significantly from its peak (when it would draw 5.0+ in the ratings), but it still drew consistently 2.0+ even at the end. Most of those viewers simply stopped watching wrestling thereafter. To them, WCW was the alternative product to WWE - which they hated - so when WCW was absorbed, they just didn't watch any more. TNA was formed on the belief that there was a huge group of disenfranchised wrestling fans out there who wanted an alternative product, but they've never been able to find or attract those old WCW fans... mostly because they've spent much of their career acknowledging themselves as the minor league.

The thing is... it wasn't WWE buying WCW that killed WCW... WCW was killed the moment Jamie Kellner cancelled WCW programming on the Turner networks. With no TV outlet, the company became basically worthless, and all Vince did was come in and sweep up the remnants (for peanuts).

I remember being incredibly pissed off at reading about then even moreso after viewing the final Nitro. A busted flush after so many good times has tarnished what should have been an incredible legacy.

I fear that this may be shot down here but why did Flair not win that match? Taking into account the unique situation I have always felt that a Flair victory would have popped the crowd even more.

Just a thought.

Favourite WCW Event?

Quite a few to choose from but I going to go with Spring Stampede 1999 as my first answer this was as above the first show I watched from WCW and just loved the two cruiserweight matches and the tag team title match. What I also loved was it could have been a stand alone event if it wanted to as I followed everything very simply without knowing storylines.

Although I also love Souled Out 1997 just for how different it was and still is today to anything else ever done

Flair Vs Sting GAB 1990

The Horsemen of Benoit and Malenko Vs Raven and Saturn Spring Stampede 1999

Second place for me is Steve McMichael and Kevin Greene vs Arn Anderson and Ric Flair - Heenans last managerial outing I belive, great story with Mongo joining the horse men - I beleive it was GAB 1996

May get chastised for saying this but Slamboree 2000 - Triple Cage I really enjoy that match even today

- Favourite WCW Angle?

the arrival and rise of the NWO

- Favourite WCW Moment?

The Final Nitro and the final embrace of Flair - Sting to end the WCW proportion of the show

I remember being incredibly pissed off at reading about then even moreso after viewing the final Nitro. A busted flush after so many good times has tarnished what should have been an incredible legacy.

I fear that this may be shot down here but why did Flair not win that match? Taking into account the unique situation I have always felt that a Flair victory would have popped the crowd even more.

Just a thought.

I bet Flair would have outright refused to go over. Sting was his buddy, and Flair by that time was in the middle of his "I'm worthless" phase that he admits he spent a long time getting over in WWE. Remember, this is also a Ric Flair who was feeling so self conscious about himself that he was wrestling in a t-shirt.

• Paid Members

I remember when it happened. I was 17 at the time and wasn't a net fan back then (though I would occasinally visit the dirtsheets for Smackdown spoilers and the odd bit of gossip). I knew that WCW were going to have a bit of a break, and return a couple of months or so down the line- I didn't know about the whole trying to find new owners things. I was totally shocked to see the announcement on WWF.com, blown away completely. I didn't watch WCW, nor ECW, so I was just excited about the prospect of seeing all their top stars join WWF.

And then realised most of the decent guys were tied into these lush AOL Time Warner contracts and were quite happy (as you would be) to sit about.

Flair by that time was in the middle of his "I'm worthless" phase that he admits he spent a long time getting over in WWE. Remember, this is also a Ric Flair who was feeling so self conscious about himself that he was wrestling in a t-shirt.

Clearly gotten over that now - since everytime he appears on TNA he tells us all hes god!

WCW was absolutely the reason I became a fan of wrestling. When I was in my last year at high school (1990/91) and the WWF was becoming so big, I wrote wrestling off as one big joke, due to the (IMO) laughable characters they had. I think the first show I ever saw was Survivor Series 1990, and the fake stomping from Demolition was the last straw. I never had Sky, so couldn't build up any sort of appreciation for WWF. British wrestling as was was also on it's last legs, so I wasn't any sort of wrestling fan at the time.

Fast forward a few months, I'm at college and unable to sleep at night. I put my black and white portable tv on and stumble across WCW Worldwide (Which was broadcast at about 1am in my region!). I was hooked almost immediately, though I've no idea actually why (I think I'd also got hooked on the original Wrestlemania arcade game we had in our college common room, so tuned in out of curiousity). I suppose the wrestlers in WCW at the time seemed more 'realistic', less cartoony. The matches themselves seemed a bit more legitimate, even though we're talking Worldwide 1991, which is jobber central, and therefore results are predictable as you like. I do recall being a fan of Big Sid immediately, with his brutal squashes!

Somewhere during this time, there was a jump in continuity on Worldwide (literally within the space of a week!)- they switched from showing matches leading up to the original Superbrawl, to those leading up to Wrestle War 92. I remember being gutted that Sid and Flair had jumped to the WWF, but uber impressed that the likes of Rick Rude and Greg Valentine, who I knew from WWF, had gone the other way. This was when I really started getting into it. I was such a fan of the Dangerous Alliance, you can't begin to believe (Arn Anderson remains my all time favourite wrestler!)! Throw in Gordy and Williams, The Steiners, Steamboat, Vader- there was really only one promotion for me. I even liked what Bill Watts was doing rules wise!

Course, they stopped showing WCW on ITV not very much later, but I never stopped following it through Powerslam and the various video releases, though to me it never really hit my personal glory days of this prior period. As soon as Hogan came in was when I lost a bit of interest, as to me it just seemed to imitate the WWF I had so despised originally. Couple that with the fact that you could get Sky Sports on a digi box (On Digital, anyone remember? Got myself a cracked card every month, which had every channel!), so I then started getting into WWF, which was a completely different animal to what it had been when I first saw it.

I was as surprised as anyone when Vince bought WCW- just before this Channel Five had started showing the 'POW'' version of Worldwide, so my interest in WCW was begining to rise again. It was also not long after this that I got involved in the UK scene, so my wrestling interest was at a peak, none of which would have been possible without WCW in the first place. I'm still gutted the WCW and ECW crew were buried in the Invasion angle, and that more never came of WCW being run as a seperate entity. Although I'm glad the WWE are seemingly giving credit to what WCW gave to the wrestling world with their DVD releases. I'll never forget WCW. God Bless it's former greatness!

- Favourite WCW Event?

Has to be Wrestle War 1992- or at least the version of it that was released on VHS. Don't think there was a bad match on the video release. Close second was Beach Blast 1992, for the same reasons!

Ricky Morton Vs Robert Gibson, GAB 1991. NOT!!!

Seriously? I'd find it very hard to pick out just one singles match. Loved Sting/Vader at GAB '92. Loved a Nikita Koloff/Vader TV match from not long after, Liger/Pillman at Superbrawl II, the Owen Hart tribute match. The list is pretty exhaustive!

Midnight Express Vs Young Pistols, Great American Bash 1990. 'Nuff said!

Dunno if this refers to a specific match type or specific match. Have to say War Games, which leads to War Games '92, answering both questions. The War Games concept was great, its only weakness being that initial coin toss, which you just knew the heels were going to win! Liked the idea of the Lethal Lottery and Battle Bowl too, though I think it was only really executed that well at Starrcade 91.

- Favourite WCW Angle?

Probably the rebirth of Sting, just because of the way it was done- from him cleaning house at War Games, when his team mates all doubted him, then walking out having done the job, then returning all those months later. Brilliant execution from start to finish. Being a fan of The Dangerous Alliance, I have to show my love for the way they came together too. A stable given an actual reason to exist and one that set its targets from the start. nWo? FTW!!!

- Favourite WCW Moment?

Too many to mention. For some reason I loved Bill Watts at GAB '92. explaining his rule changes. I really dunno why. Perhaps it's because he came across as a proper authority figure and really legitimised his rulings. Strange, but it sticks out in my head.

Special mention to the Owen Hart tribute match, or more so the ending, with Bret looking at the ceiling of the Kemper Arena. Don't think I need to say why...

• Paid Members

I think a lot of people have been feeling very nostalgic for WCW the past year or two. Lots of different WCW threads popping up all over the place. I guess, at the time, WCW was so bad (although an arguement can be made that it was improving in 2001), that people were almost glad to see it put out of it's misery. Now, with no real alternative to WWE hegemony, people be missing it. I am one of them.

Watching the simulcast was one of my saddest but most surreal experiences as a wrestling fan. Like many others I used to record the middle of the night airing and then get up the next morning, eager to see if Sting, Muta or the Midnight Express had featured. I loved it from the first day I saw it in 1989 to the last day it aired in 2001. The quality may have dipped a few times but it was always fun to watch and having two big promotions was fantastic as a wrestling fan, and something we probably will never see again.

- Favourite WCW Event?

Great American Bash 1989 - one of the greatest top to bottom PPVs of all time with some amazing matches and featuring some of my all time favourite wrestlers like Sting, Muta, Midnight Express, Pillman, Sid Vicious, Steiners and Lex Luger.

The tag match was an easy pick, this one not so much. I always seemed to like the tag team wrestling more than the singles wrestling and with so many amazing tag teams that's not so hard to understand. Goldberg v Hogan on Nitro was absolutely epic, but then I also have a soft spot for Sting v Flair from the very last Nitro. I'll have to have more of a think and come back with a definitive answer later.

Midnight Express v Southern Boys from Great American Bash 1990. Probably my favourite tag team match of all time - just utterly brilliant. I urge anyone who hasn't seen this to find it and watch it - this is what tag team wrestling used to be like.

Chamber of Horrors Match from Halloween Havoc 1991 or the Thunderdome Cage Match from Halloween Havoc 1989. The former was just so utterly ridiculous but fascinating to watch. The Thunderdome match was actually a very good match and had Muta doing Spider-man spots decades before RVD. I also love the Tower of Doom Match from Uncensored 1996 - seeing Zeus turn up in WCW was a real treat.

- Favourite WCW Angle?

the nWo invasion of Scott Hall and then Kevin Nash 2 weeks later. Those first few weeks and months were the most brilliantly booked pro wrestling angles I have ever seen.

- Favourite WCW Moment?

Scott Hall turning up on Nitro for the first time. I knew it wasn't, but it seemed so real and was so well executed. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

I really miss WCW :(

Archived