TNA Announces 'Gut Check'

MindGrrind

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find an exisiting thread.

So its been advertised http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/item/2155-TNA-Announces-New-Gut-Check-Tryouts, that they are holding a few events where people from the industry will 'assess' your performance as you run through drills and various excercises.

What do you guys make of it? I thought it sounded like a fantastic opportunity for rookie wrestlers, however I then realised they are charging around $250 just to attend and this seems a little odd to me, considering each session only lasts for two hours.

I'm sure Jerry Lawler was warning us about something like this not too long ago.

The link isn't working for me, but by the sounds of it I suppose it's one way to get noticed (obviously depending on who's running them). Other than that, it'd give you an idea of where you stand in terms of fitness and ability compared to what's needed in the big leagues.

• Paid Members

Call me a cynic if you will, but its funny how TNA always tries so hard to be WWE. Not so much the idea, looking for new talent is to be applauded, but the name.

I mean, "checking" if someone has the "guts" is so ricockulously close to seeing if they are "tough enough," isn't it?

Just me?

Call me a cynic if you will, but its funny how TNA always tries so hard to be WWE. Not so much the idea, looking for new talent is to be applauded, but the name.

I mean, "checking" if someone has the "guts" is so ricockulously close to seeing if they are "tough enough," isn't it?

Just me?

Are you being sarcastic here? Hard to tell? ...but yeah gut check has been going for a while in TNA. Its not exactly the same concept.

• Paid Members

No, I had never heard of this.

Concept may be different, but if I were in the thinktank I'd still have come up with a more original name, or at least something thats further away from Tough Enough than Gutcheck.

Who am I kidding? There is no thinktank. Just a tank.

No, I had never heard of this.

Concept may be different, but if I were in the thinktank I'd still have come up with a more original name, or at least something thats further away from Tough Enough than Gutcheck.

Who am I kidding? There is no thinktank. Just a tank.

Really? Why? If anything it seems like a good choice to me. The name doesn't really matter much anyway, people arn't likely to think anymore than they may already do that TNA is just copying the WWE, so why worry about that? Plus people know what Tough Enough is, so using a name so close to it will help to get people to understand exactly what's on offer. That and I'm sure I've heard the term 'gut check' before Tough Enough was first brought onto our screens.

Of all the complaints that could be made about the TNA product this seems a bit odd. Certainly they do have a knack of coming across as WWE-lite for various reasons, but this seems so inconsequential to the main show that it barely matters.

Archived