Greek Mythology

tom

• Paid Members

After watching Clash Of The Titans, and Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, recently it has really intensified my interest in Greek mythology. I was just wondering if anyone else was into it and also a good place to start in terms of literature

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After watching Clash Of The Titans, and Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, recently it has really intensified my interest in Greek mythology. I was just wondering if anyone else was into it and also a good place to start in terms of literature

Yes, really really interested in it, but I really think those two films would have put people off the thing, they are balls.

• Paid Members

Thankfully I think I could see past the Hollywood treatment and just be interested in hearing more of the mythology as it is really quite interesting, and I was seeing quite a few parallels between the myths and modern religion which is something I'd like to look into more too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, in fact right now Im studying it through the Open University. A not horrible place to start would be if you could find a cheap copy of Ovids Metamorphoses. Its in poetic form, but it covers the creation of the world through to Julius Ceasar. Obviously the Gods and heroes are given their Roman names rather than the Greek, but in fairness the differences are fairly minimal.

I just found a PDF for you, if you fancy it.

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/klineasovid.htm

I studied classics for GCSE and if you want to do greek mythology you need to look at some of the literature such as the odyssey and the Illiad. If you want some shorter stuff then look at some of the Penguin Classics collection as they tend to cover a wide range of mythology also there are some is some great stuff concerning greek culture in those stories.

• Paid Members

I love Greek mythology. When I first learned to read, it was Greek and Roman mythology which got me into reading much more extensively. By the age of six, even my dad couldn't beat me on knowledge of Greek/Roman mythology stories and trivia. It also helped me learn about vocabulary, nomenclature and language, and gave me a good start when I started doing Latin and Classical Greek at school. The Odyssey, the Iliad, the Aeneid, Metamorphoses, the Twelve Tasks of Hercules/Herakles, Zeus vs. Typhon - all fascinating stories, and they got me into heavier stuff later as a teen, reading Euripides' and Aeschylus' tragedies, Aristophanes' filthy comedies, and the poems of Propertius and Petronius.

Also, my fascination with Greco-Roman mythology led me further to mythologies of other cultures, such as Norse, Native North American, Inca, Aztec, Maya, Indian, Chinese, Russian, Maori, etc. There's an unbelievable wealth of stories out there.

• Paid Members

I've always enjoyed reading about Hercules and the other gods of Olympus. Last year I picked up some of the Marvel Hercules books. One of them went into Hercule's history and the story of Zeus and the Titans. Some weird stuff went on there. How accurate would Marvels telling of the stories be? Bearing in mind that these are myths and legends.

We are long overdue a good Hercules film.

I enjoyed Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief. I believe there is a new book out. I'd imagine a film would follow soon.

Clash of The Titans was poor. Although Liam Neeson is a much better Zues than Sean Bean.

I've read the classics but never really got into the more obscure Greek mythology, although there are loads of really nicely bound sets with a ton of it in. Wasn't overly enamored with 'Metamorphoses' or 'Iliad' etc to seek anything else out at this point in my life.

One of those things where I like the idea of it, but haven't the motivation for the detail.

• Paid Members

I've recently been trying to find a film I watched in school back in about 95/96. It was a 50's/60's film about Hercules, of which there seems to be a ton, and in one of the only bits I recall he is tasked with drinking all the water from this big horn cup thing and can't as its all the water in the sea's.

I assume its linked to the trails of Hercules of which I'd love a recommendation of a film I could get cheap.

Many thanks in advance for any one who can help out there.

• Paid Members
That was Hercules? I thought that was Thor.

Not in Jason and the Argonauts. Thor is a god from Norse mythology. Thunderer is a cool name to go by.

I was never a fan of the Kevin Sorbo series. He looked nothing like Hercules.

Archived