WCW Uncensored 1997

Navdeep

Watched Uncensored 1997 yesterday. Was an enjoyable show apart from the main-event. Didn't really understand the rules of the main events between NWO, Team Piper and Team WCW. Would have been nice if the commentators explained the rules of the match before it started. Hopefully Spring Stampede 1997 won't be as confusing when I watch it tonight.

• Paid Members

The main event was the best part of the whole event. Sting returning to the WCW fold after being in limbo for months was a slight to behold. It was an team elimination battle royal. Not to hard to understand. These events weren't made to watch years about 14 years later. If your were engrossed by the WCW vs nWo storyline at the time, you wouldn't need it explaining by the commentators. The ending of the main event is one of my favourite memories of the boom period. Sting and Lex Luger were the most over babyfaces in the business at that time. They were so fucking popular.

• Paid Members

Jesus, I remember that bombed royally. I understand what they were trying to do (Piper was a drop out who lived on the street so he wants to find a bunch of scabs to prove they are worth a shot etc.), but fuck that. A bunch of power plant workers and Earthquake didn't cut it back when we were fed Hogan, Luger, Sting, Nash, Savage, DDP, The Giant, Hall, Flair, Piper and the likes every week in our main events. If the nWo has a hard time with the Steiners, Luger and The Giant, how are we expected to believe that Earthquake (last seem doing jobs to Ray Traylor) and those other planks could end the nWo? WCW at least had the good sense to fuck that storyline off. I still remember how shit that segment was now.

• Paid Members

Oh and Navdeep, if you like your wrestling to make sense, there will be one finish on Stampede 97 that makes you think "Why the fuck would anyone do that?"

Some great matches though. Rey/Dragon is superb, Benoit/Malenko is great if you like mat wriggling, Nash v Steiner has some great storytelling and DDP v Macho Man is the tits. In fact, it's Kimberly's tits, thats how good it is.

• Paid Members
The main event was the best part of the whole event. Sting returning to the WCW fold after being in limbo for months was a slight to behold.

Yeah, the crowd reaction was immense. Seeing some of those fans jumping up and down was awesome. Good times.

• Paid Members
I love the Benoit vs Malenko match from that ppv... shame they didnt have a long term program.

They'd have had a hard job at this PPV, considering Benoit and Malenko never wrestled on this show, and in fact Benoit was even in the main event of the show. Those two wrestled about 800 times and team about 1000 times from 1995-99. These two always seemed to be wrestling each other. Its not like you were missing anything if these two had a long term feud. Imagine how shit the promos would be!

Archived