The 'passing of the torch'

pizzazz941

I like Barrett and think a feud between him and Taker would be brilliant, although I would have preffered it if he'd had Nexus with him, but maybe he'll get together a new group.

Not too sure about the passing of the torch though, at the end of the day it's going to get to a point where Taker will have to finish up and I guess the better thing to do business wise would be to pass the torch rather than have him win which may make a few fans happy for the night and make his career go out on a high note but when he's gone that'll mean nothing more for the future of wrestling. Whereas passing the torch would give a rookie a great chance to make themselves the next big thing in wrestling.

As for who I'd have the torch passed to, what about The Miz? I know he's already just won the WWE Title but the guy has put so much into bettering himself both in the ring and promo wise and the fans are definetly getting into his matches and promos and he is one of the best heels at the moment. I think a legend passing The Miz the torch would be great for his career and have a great outcome for wrestling as he's already shown how committed he is to it.

On a similar thought, CM Punk, the exact same could be said about him that I've just mentioned about The Miz.

or could be deiberate rumours to make people think Barrett could end the streak......

good point, the thing for me that made the HBK Mania macthes great are that I genuinely thought both times that Taker could lose. I had only felt that it was even remotely possible before when Orton was The Legend Killer as I thought a Mania win during that gimmick would have made him. I still cant see Barrett or anyone beating him at Mania regardless now after the last two wins

• Paid Members

i doubt barratt would be the one to end the streak. The only guy i could ever imagine that beign at the momeny is john cena, namely as he seems to be 100% wwe for life. Almost every body else on the roster i could see in a rival promotion in the future.

sombody mentioned Del rio, But am i the only one who thinks ,(although he is awesome!), he comes across as if in about a years time........he may not still be employed? I mean that as in, he gives off this vibe that he's very "Self Self Self". So although it translates well to his charecter, he just gives me this vibe that either when hes done everything he wants to do, or he isnt were he wants to be in a years time...............he'd jsut sod off back to mexico, and sort of do one over on WWE in the process.

i know i most likley way off, and the only person who thinks that..........but long story short if i was vince i wouldnt give him something that big until hes been in the E for some time.

or could be deiberate rumours to make people think Barrett could end the streak......

good point, the thing for me that made the HBK Mania macthes great are that I genuinely thought both times that Taker could lose. I had only felt that it was even remotely possible before when Orton was The Legend Killer as I thought a Mania win during that gimmick would have made him. I still cant see Barrett or anyone beating him at Mania regardless now after the last two wins

agreed, after those 3 wins I dont think id even buyt into Cena having a chance against Taker. would take a lotta rumours coming out to make anyone believe the streak couold be broken(not that I think it ever will, or should be)

• Paid Members

Undertaker specific in terms of passing the torch, this comes up fairly often and my feelings are always the same.

For Undertaker to lose at WrestleMania the man that would beat him would have to be credible enough but also still have something to gain by it, someone who is a star but for whom the win would still enhance their standing. That's part of the reason I never thought Shawn Michaels would do it. He didn't need it. In fact the only guy I've though might have done it in the last ten years was Randy Orton at WM21.

On the roster right now there are two men that I would be happy to see do it :

(1) Del Rio, because he seems to have all the tools required to be a massive star, and

(2) The Miz. Like it or not, he's the champ, and in terms of character / promos / working a crowd, I think he's superb. He could make a reputation off beating Undertaker and get a lot of mileage off it.

As for Barratt, he's super over in terms of crowd hostility, but I'm not sure the win-loss record convinces me at this point. Tainted pin over Cena at Hell In A Cell aside, I dont think he's done enough in a big match environment yet.

Just teasing, Undertaker will never lose at WrestleMania.

From Wrestlenewz.com:

- As noted before, a feud between The Undertaker and Wade Barrett is in the works on the SmackDown brand.

Taker reportedly has requested to work a feud with Barrett as he sees the former Nexus leader as one of WWE

• Paid Members
As for who I'd have the torch passed to, what about The Miz?

The very fact that anyone is seriously saying something like that really shows how far pro wrestling has fallen in recent times.

Absolutely this. It makes me feel both old & sad when I hear people saying 'The Miz' is one of the highlights of WWE TV, a terrible wrestler who simply looks, acts & sound like someone doing an impression of a wrestler as opposed to being believable in any way. I'm just glad I'm old enough to remember when Raw & Smackdown were televisual treats & the vast majority of the roster weren't cookie cutter dullards.

IMO 'passing the torch' isn't just a 'legend' putting a younger guy over (Taker did that for Maven). The younger guy has to have a great match at the same time to make it seem plausible,

Wade will never be "the man" in WWE. The yanks will never have a Brit (or in their view, an English person) as their top guy. Mason Ryan might go pretty far depending on how he develops as they don't see him as being British apparently - they seem to think Wales is exclusive from the UK.

As for The Miz, I've always felt top champions should be people you'd be a bit nervous of going up against in a real fight. I don't think he gives off that vibe.

Archived