80's wrestling show idea

VarsityVillain

I have been going to a few shows in the northeast of england, but was wondering do you guys think if you did a wrestling show now like the old 80's wwf style with the over the top characters and the wild storylines and gimmicks. Do you think this would succeed now on a nostalgic level?

VV

I have been going to a few shows in the northeast of england, but was wondering do you guys think if you did a wrestling show now like the old 80's wwf style with the over the top characters and the wild storylines and gimmicks. Do you think this would succeed now on a nostalgic level?

VV

Someone tried this. It was called Heroes Of Wrestling. It was shite. Jake Roberts turned up pissed and slowly murdered a promo.

VV

Someone tried this. It was called Heroes Of Wrestling. It was shite. Jake Roberts turned up pissed and slowly murdered a promo.

I don't think he means with actual wrestlers from the eighties.

I think the concept could work, VV, but I'm not sure there's enough talent in this country (or certainly in any individual region, at least) to pull it off. How many British wrestlers really look the part of the 80s-style superman wrestler and have the ability to perform like a character from that era of wrestling? I'd worry it'd just come off as skinny kids doing a school play. From what I've seen on links on here, the majority of wrestlers in this country are imitating AJ Styles and the ROH roster. They concentrate on somersaults rather than character.

Then there's the issue of coming up with a set of modern characters in the style of 80s WWF, which would be some task to do well.

• Paid Members
Oh lol anyone have any footage of drunk jake

Wut? I doubt it's hard to find, he's always drunk by the sounds of things.

As for the show, there are plenty of charismatic wrestlers in the UK, and the North East. El Ligero and Martin Kirby spring to mind. Wrestle Zone Wrestling also started evolving characters but what prematurely ended with the closure of the company. Gimmicks like "Heart Throb" Iain Robinson and Bad News Anderson were beginning to break through and entertain regional audiences.

What gimmicks worked in the 80s would probably look cheesy now. If a Mullet headed tanned Muscled, bleached teeth fella came out to the ring in 2011, people would shout 'Gay' even in these so called 'PC' times rather than a top Face (and has been that way since the early 90s). And a foriegn heel, a big thing in 80s WWF, would be probably be considered racist. Maybe big Heels like Drew McDonald, Ricky Knight or Brody Steele could still carry off the big Heel in the style of Earthquake and Sid Vicious. And maybe an Elvis gimmick in the style of the Honky tonk man could also still work, but merged with the Model gimmick, as in an arrogant heel rather than a cowardly one.

I think if done as a cheesy nostalgic pantomine type, the show could work.

Archived