Classic Kung Fu movies

lightningxlock

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's quite a few fans on here. You might want to have a butchers at these similar topics

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=121261&hl=liang

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=118748&hl=jackie

My review of a couple from the DVD thread

Drunken Monkey

I was so looking forward to this, and was so hoping it would be good. And it is. Sort of. It's good, but it could have been better (or at least better suited to my tastes).

Basically it's a kung fu movie, with the classic "master gets betrayed, disappears for a few years, trains up a new student and returns to kicks ass" storyline. The kung fu master is question is Lau Kar Leung, who is a genuine old school kung fu master that trained in fields with logs and rocks and stuff. Also in the film is Lau Kar Fei (AKA: Gordon Lau from Kill Bill), who is Lau Kar Leung's adopted brother in real life, and also a fucking awesome traditional kung fu master.

Now, Kar Leung isn't a young man (he was in his mid-late 60's when this was made) and so when his character is doing the flips and acrobatic stuff synonymous with monkey style kung fu, it's obviously a double. I wouldn't mind so much, but in other scenes he's doing rolls and showing agility that's perfectly acceptable for the style and pretty impressive for his age. It just seems so unecessary when he's in such good shape and is so impressive in his own right.

Plotwise, it's an autopilot movie. You know pretty much what's going to happen, and some of it is a bit dated looking, like an old Shaw Bros movie. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on taste.

Choreographywise, it's everything you could hope for from Lau, that perfect balance of screen-flashiness and realistic looking technique. The fight in the temple against Kar Fei is breathtaking. Both men matching each other with crisp, precise technique delivered at lightning speed. Even at such an age, the Lau brothers are a fucking spectacle to watch, which is why I found it so annoying when we get a long shot of Kar Leung's character doing a backflip off a table.

If you love The Pops, then it's a must-see-but-don't-go-out-of-your-way-to movie.

Odd Couple

Samo Hung's legendary weapon-fest. I've been wanting to see this for years, and thanks to Play.com's sale, I picked it up for

I immediately thought of Born Invincible which is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons however the fights are amazing and still hold up well. Not a surprise since this has Yuen Woo Pings prints all over it.

The star of the movie is the main villian Carter Wong and to describe him is really difficult but he's absolutely hilarious and steals every scene partly due to his bonkers voice dub, oh and it has those wacky sound effects in there too.

Have a look at the trailer to get an idea, the dubbing is atrocious but in a good way and no way detracts from the fights and erm...story. Cheap as chips on Amazon.

519PBP8TVFL._SS500_.jpg

517RVRHGDNL._SS500_.jpg

• Paid Members

The best kung fu i've ever seen is Tai-chi master. Its a little bit newer than other films, (early 90's or late 80's i think), but the fighting is awesome and the dubbing is terrible.

A great film i recently also bought on DVD! I've also seen it when it was called "Twin dragons" on the tv, Love that film!

Look up Shaw Brothers on Amazon. They recently released a few of their classics on DVD for the first time. Great, great films.

I particularly recommend Heroes Two and King Boxer aka Five Fingers Of Death.

• Paid Members
Maybe not a straight forward Kung Fu movie but check out "Mr Vampire" which was produced by Sammo Hung, one of the funniest films i've seen and has some amazing action sequences too.

Lam Chin Ying is awesome in pretty much everything he was ever in. Once he started getting typecast into playing Taoist priests in everything though, people seemed to forget what a tremendous martial artist and acrobat he was.

Mr Vampire 5 was released in the UK under the title Mr Vampire, and is pretty enjoyable.

Speaking of Lam Chin Ying, Prodigal Son is considered essential viewing. Samo Hung, Yuen Biu, Chong Fat, Frankie Chan, Lee Hoi San. Could you ask for a better cast?

Speaking of Lam Chin Ying, Prodigal Son is considered essential viewing. Samo Hung, Yuen Biu, Chong Fat, Frankie Chan, Lee Hoi San. Could you ask for a better cast?

I've seen Prodigal Son. It was yeeears ago tho when I was a kid, I think it was on BBC2. I remember it being awesome tho. Any of you chaps seen Magnificent Butcher?

Off the top of my head, the ones that are truly essential..

Drunken Master

Legend of Drunken Master

Iron Monkey

Fist of Legend

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2

Dragons Forever (Chan vs Benny Urquidez II)

Magnificent Butcher

Wheels on Meals

Prodigal Son

Knockabout

Police Story 1 & 2

Project A and Project A2

The Scorpion King (massively underrated)

Encounters of the Spooky Kind (Sammo + Black magic + horror = :thumbsup: )

Iceman Cometh

Millionaires' Express (Every major star bar Jackie was in this one, fight after fight)

The Young Master

Operation Condor

Gorgeous (underrated Jackie Chan movie, 2 outstanding fights in last half)

The newer ones..

Killzone aka SPL

Warrior King

Ip Man 1 & 2

14 Blades

Azumi (I want to marry Aya Ueto :love: )

King Fu Hustle

Zu Warriors (2001 version)

True Legend

Archived